• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk Nylon IWB Hoster any good?

Aknazer

I'm looking at getting an IWB holster for my XDm40 and was curious if anyone has any experience with this holster:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=770670

Now I've heard a lot of people say that you get what you pay for which would make me question this holster, but I'm looking for something that could be comfortably worn with board shorts as that's generally what I wear in the summer and I'm not against using a non-leather holster. Also it needs to be IWB as there's no way I could realistically conceal a gun in the summer with my normal attire and an OWB holster (shirts generally aren't long enough to conceal the barrel while doing any type of normal moving around).

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I've never bought a nylon holster that i liked, they don't hold shape very well. They also don't seem to last as long as a leather or kydex holster. You should check out Galco's IWB holsters. They cost a little bit more, i have one for my XD45 and I really enjoy it.

Aknazer

I'll be sure to keep that in mind once I wear out the holster or manage to convince my wife I need ANOTHER gun related item...

As an update, I ended up getting the holster for both my XDm and my wife's TCP last friday (the TCP holster was an earlier purchase). After carrying the TCP around a bunch I found that I don't mind the nylon holster even after walking a mile+ in 80+ degree weather. It was fairly comfortable and breathed well while walking. I also learned that I'm too skinny to be able to CC my XDm or my wife's XD9-SC with this holster as it doesn't keep it tight enough against my stomach (it makes me look about 2" fatter as the holster leans forward slightly). My biggest complaint with the holster so far would be the slight forward lean the holster has and it's somewhat flimsy belt retention (can slide around fairly easily). I think if the belt retention area was firmer it wouldn't have this forward lean issue (especially with heavier guns).

Since my wife doesn't have her CWP yet I'm able to carry the TCP for the time being, but will need to find some of those holsters you mentioned and actually try them on before making my next purchase. Either that or OC needs to become legal and then I can use my serpa that a local shop sold me claiming it would be fine for CC :mad: Thats what I get for not doing the proper research before hand.

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

I got my girlfriend one of these for here Taurus 709 Slim, only because there was no custom fit holster for that gun at the time I got it for her. She seems to like it, but her belt does need to be tighter than she would normally wear it. For her belts are for fashion, and less for function. I think it will just take some getting used to.