Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: New to OCDO, Long time OC'er from Kentucky.

  1. #1
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107

    New to OCDO, Long time OC'er from Kentucky.

    Hello Forums; New user here, been lurking for a while, and decided to register an account, and take part in the KY side of these forums.

    I'm a legal eagle, I open carry my Ruger .45 Revolver whenever I am out and about, through town, at the store, while camping and hiking, and never got stopped, and asked about it by anyone, Civvy or LEO *knocks on wood*.

    I notice a lot of users seem to have a taste for calling anti-gun idiots "Liberals" and such, I don't mean to pick a fight or anything, but it's just a bit odd to hear, considering I myself am an Openly Gay "southern" Democrat, whose main concern is protecting my second amendment, than anything else.

    I know there are a few of my friends who like to OC, and are Gay, or Bi, but their rather silent, and never really like to attend firearms events, let alone something like Knob Creek MG Shoot.

    I hope to be a welcomed part of this community, and would love to take part in some of the OC events I read about~

    -Drake
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  2. #2
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240

    Welcome

    Welcome to the OCDO forum Drake. We are made up of a great many different and sundry groups of folks. We hope you enjoy your time here.
    Last edited by neuroblades; 04-04-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  3. #3
    Regular Member mem1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Martin, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    125

    Cool

    Welcome partner! Glad to have ya...
    I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands! ~ Charlton Heston (1923 -- 2008)

    Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand be faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had a gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass. ~ The Gunfighter’s Prayer

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Franklin, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    221
    This conservative is moving from COMMIEfornia to Kentucky in a month! (I can't wait!)

    I am interested to read about your OC experience. It will be rather strange for me to OC for a while, since I am conditioned by 38 years in this cesspool of socialism to worry about being arrested or beaten by "San Diego's Finest" for the high crime of appearing anywhere outside of my own residence with a firearm, even an UNLOADED, openly-carried firearm!

    You say you carry everywhere. Into banks? Stores? Malls? School zones?!? I'd like to hear more about your experiences.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Franklin, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    I notice a lot of users seem to have a taste for calling anti-gun idiots "Liberals" and such, I don't mean to pick a fight or anything, but it's just a bit odd to hear, considering I myself am an Openly Gay "southern" Democrat
    That doesn't make you a "liberal."

  6. #6
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    This conservative is moving from COMMIEfornia to Kentucky in a month! (I can't wait!)

    I am interested to read about your OC experience. It will be rather strange for me to OC for a while, since I am conditioned by 38 years in this cesspool of socialism to worry about being arrested or beaten by "San Diego's Finest" for the high crime of appearing anywhere outside of my own residence with a firearm, even an UNLOADED, openly-carried firearm!

    You say you carry everywhere. Into banks? Stores? Malls? School zones?!? I'd like to hear more about your experiences.
    I carry into wal marts, JC Penny, and Dicks sporting goods, and haven't had any problems yet. However, I know it's illegal, and therefore, I don't carry anything into Banks, or school zones.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917
    Welcome to the forum! Perhaps we're too hard on the liberals, but they tend to give themselves a bad name as they're typically the ones opposing our cause. I think you'll find the overall political climate here somewhat Libertarian leaning. Nevertheless, this first and foremost an OC forum and we're glad to have ya!

    What part of the state are you from? I'm with Gravedigger, I'd like to hear more about your experiences.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    I carry into wal marts, JC Penny, and Dicks sporting goods, and haven't had any problems yet. However, I know it's illegal, and therefore, I don't carry anything into Banks, or school zones.
    It's not illegal to carry into a bank.

    Welcome to the forum.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gravel Switch, KY
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    I carry into wal marts, JC Penny, and Dicks sporting goods, and haven't had any problems yet. However, I know it's illegal, and therefore, I don't carry anything into Banks, or school zones.
    It's not illegal to carry into banks, I carry into mine all the time. It's not illegal to carry into "school zones", it's illegal to carry onto school property.

    http://kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

    There are no Kentucky Revised Statutes that govern the open carry of firearms by persons who lawfully possess such firearms except for the following:

    527.070 - Unlawful possession (whether carried openly or concealed) of a weapon on school property, except for certain specified exceptions.
    KRS 244.125 - Which bars loaded firearms (concealed or otherwise) in places where alcohol is sold by the drink, except for certain specified exceptions.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    9
    fairly new myself but welcome drake

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    It's not illegal to carry into banks, I carry into mine all the time. It's not illegal to carry into "school zones", it's illegal to carry onto school property.

    http://kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm
    It's not illegal to carry into school "zones" if you have a carry permit of some kind, as per Federal law.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917
    About schools: Federal law dictates that you may not carry within 1000' of a school unless you have your CCDW. KY law says it's illegal to carry on school property period, unless:
    -You leave it locked in your car
    -Are an LEO
    -Have permission to do so from the district

    There is no 1000' stipulation in KY law.

    Though it is NOT illegal to carry in banks, it IS illegal to carry (loaded) in bars. This is kind of a gray area so you can search the forum here for the nuances and stipulations of carry in the KRS.

  13. #13
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Yes carRy in banks is legal there are no laws governing so, however they are private property and if they ask u to leave or to not Carry u must honor their suggestions
    As
    Far as carrying on school property that is not allowed, however u can be within 1,000ft of a school and still oc as long as you are not directly on their property. The 1,000 ft law only applies if u are actually on school owned property. Even on school property say ur dropping ur kids off, it is legal to have ur gun in ur vehicle In Accordance with state law. Having a ccw does remove some restrictions on carrying n a school zone. As far as bars, u can carry in a bar as long as ur gun isn't loaded. U can keep a loaded mag in ur mag carrier or pocket however u carry in case u need to load ur weapon in self defense, but if u shoot someone while drinking be prepared for a tough legal battle. nobody in ky can question our right to open carry or tell us we can't do so, no Leo,nobody!! It is a protected activity and our right as free kentuckians. So welcome, and good to see you taking up for our rights, I have an uncle
    Who is gay and i got him to shoot a gun one time and
    Now he hates them, and doesn't see y neone needs one, so good for u!! I don't think u will be judged by neone here, just a bunch of ppl who love our guns.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917
    18 USC § 921 Definitions
    (a) As used in this chapter—
    (25) The term “school zone” means—
    (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or
    private school; or
    (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of
    a public, parochial or private school.
    (26) The term “school” means a school which provides
    elementary or secondary education, as determined
    under State law.

  15. #15
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by langzaiguy View Post
    18 USC § 921 Definitions
    (a) As used in this chapter—
    (25) The term “school zone” means—
    (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or
    private school; or
    (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of
    a public, parochial or private school.
    (26) The term “school” means a school which provides
    elementary or secondary education, as determined
    under State law.
    I guess u posted this because wat I said bout school zones, however look over the federal law again and u will c it doesn't pertain to privately owned property. That would be the road ur driving down, or the yard your standing on, or watever. it isn't owned by the school, so the 1,000ft law only applies to school property.

  16. #16
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Correct, They r not, but it is property that isn't owned by the school, so if I a was walking down a state road within a 1,000ft of a school but completely off school prop. I could b arrested if I didn't have a ccw? But they can't arrest me if I'm n my vehicle and ocing, that don't make sense, I also read in 18 u.s.c that the law only applies to property owned by the school district, but then it says the next paragraph no carry within a 1,000ft at all, I kinda take that as it has to b on school grounds, then there is the state law that says we can carry a firearm across school property if it's unloaded and we are taking part in hunting without a ccw, which kinda makes no sense because then if u had a valid hunting license u could b on property and just tell em u was just crossing
    Cause u was hunting watever is n season. I have my ccw now so I'm not concerned with it but wouldn't it have to b federal Leo arrest u for federal law violation? Or can state and or local Leo arrest for federal violation?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Be careful with "carry permit of some kind". The Federal laws says the permit must be issued by the state you're in.
    That is correct, I should have stated that. There was a discussion about this on USACarry not too long ago.

    Thanks for the correction, I won't make that mistake again.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Correct, They r not, but it is property that isn't owned by the school, so if I a was walking down a state road within a 1,000ft of a school but completely off school prop. I could b arrested if I didn't have a ccw? But they can't arrest me if I'm n my vehicle and ocing, that don't make sense, I also read in 18 u.s.c that the law only applies to property owned by the school district, but then it says the next paragraph no carry within a 1,000ft at all, I kinda take that as it has to b on school grounds, then there is the state law that says we can carry a firearm across school property if it's unloaded and we are taking part in hunting without a ccw, which kinda makes no sense because then if u had a valid hunting license u could b on property and just tell em u was just crossing
    Cause u was hunting watever is n season. I have my ccw now so I'm not concerned with it but wouldn't it have to b federal Leo arrest u for federal law violation? Or can state and or local Leo arrest for federal violation?
    You have to have permission from the school to cross to hunt and yes a local LEO can arrest you for a federal violation. This is what makes this part of the Brady Bill so vicious, you can be DRIVING down the road and a knowledgeable LEO could arrest you for carrying a loaded firearm within 1000 feet of a school zone. Throw in that the permit has to be issued by the state your in and then look at some coverage maps and you can't drive from point A to point B without breaking the law if you don't have the permit from that state.

    There is this bill in congress, but I don't know if it takes care of that glaring problem.
    http://www.nraila.org/issues/FactShe...ad.aspx?ID=189

    I'll have to do some research......

    EDIT

    Read the language in the bill and I don't see anything wrong with it EXCEPT that it does not not deal with the 1000' rule for travelers, I asked someone from Florida on USACarry to write him about this and ask for a response.

    Here is the bill
    http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h822/show
    Last edited by UnfetteredMight; 04-04-2011 at 11:14 PM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Be careful with "carry permit of some kind". The Federal laws says the permit must be issued by the state you're in.
    Deleted.
    Last edited by neuroblades; 04-04-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Question Answered. *LOL*
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  20. #20
    Regular Member hotrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Union, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfetteredMight View Post
    You have to have permission from the school to cross to hunt and yes a local LEO can arrest you for a federal violation. This is what makes this part of the Brady Bill so vicious, you can be DRIVING down the road and a knowledgeable LEO could arrest you for carrying a loaded firearm within 1000 feet of a school zone. Throw in that the permit has to be issued by the state your in and then look at some coverage maps and you can't drive from point A to point B without breaking the law if you don't have the permit from that state.

    There is this bill in congress, but I don't know if it takes care of that glaring problem.
    http://www.nraila.org/issues/FactShe...ad.aspx?ID=189

    I'll have to do some research......

    EDIT

    Read the language in the bill and I don't see anything wrong with it EXCEPT that it does not not deal with the 1000' rule for travelers, I asked someone from Florida on USACarry to write him about this and ask for a response.

    Here is the bill
    http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h822/show
    Wouldn't bet my house on it, but I'm curious under what regulation would a local law enforcement officer have the ability to arrest under a federal law alone, without a state or local statute violation? And if you could, find at least one conviction under this title. I have looked and can not find one.
    Last edited by hotrod; 04-05-2011 at 09:38 PM.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    Wouldn't bet my house on it, but I'm curious under what regulation would a local law enforcement officer have the ability to arrest under a federal law alone, without a state or local statute violation? And if you could, find at least one conviction under this title. I have looked and can not find one.
    You make a good point and I don't have a good answer for it. I don't know if they can or not.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917
    @unfettered. I am very well aware of the difference between liberalism and libertarianism as I lean very libertarian. I did not mean to insinuate that they were anything alike. I stand by my words.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917
    BTW, I was trying to imply that according to both liberal and libertarian ideologies, both seem to be friendly or at least tolerant of gay rights.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •