• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Rally ideas

MKEgal

DWCook said:
We need to fight to get rid of these stipulations and requirements for open carry.
? Can you post a link to the KS statutes about restrictions?

DWCook said:
... trying to find a place to have this rally, I been getting alot of no answers to open areas from the city of olathe. I went to city hall ... the office clerk would tell me "oh yeah you can use it just as long as it does not cause an issue to the public" then I get asked what kind of rally is this, I tell the clerk its an 2nd Amen. Open Carry Rally, RIGHT as soon as I speak those words I get this answer. "Oh from our schedule calender there is suppose to be construction work going on near there, we dont want that kind of Rally effecting the publics "SAFETY".
Next time, take a recorder. Get the hypocrite on video. Help her move along to a different job.
A little public embarrasment does wonders. Or even start by meeting with her boss, or the city attorney.
Maybe take along a undercover reporter (to both meetings) as another witness w/ another recorder.

And yes, start off with "we'd like to use this area on this date, are there any conflicts of any kind, any construction scheduled, ANYTHING that might interfere?".

Besides, what on Earth would nearby construction have to do with "public safety" of people going to the park? If the park was going to be closed, I think she would have said that up front.

I'd also suggest saying it's some friends getting together, or a civil rights interest group, both of which are completely true but without the emotional baggage of 2A issues. I've used the description "civil rights supporters" a couple times when initially discussing a group meal @ a restaurant.

Is it legal to use a city park w/o reserving it? Just show up & set up @ a shelter, occupy all the picnic tables w/ your decorations or tablecloths or whatever. (Yes, you run the risk of being booted by someone who did reserve, unless you find a non-reservable place.)

DWCook

Activist Member
Don't worry guys I haven't forgotten this meet, my schedule has opened up a bit more so this should work out fairly well. Start throwing out some good ideas for the meet as in food items, what days work for most of you folks. Going to try and slam this meet before the weather goes too far south. Input on what everyone would like to follow up on as far as maybe go do some shooting at the bullet hole off of Shawnee Mission Parkway and Robinson? The question of using a city park without reservation, that I am not sure of.

Want to make sure this meet has a good turn for everyone!

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
Speaking of coffee...I have not had a good cup of joe in months!!! How about we get some folks just for a get together at one of the local Star Bucks? Still planning on making the rally meet happen so don't worry. Anyone have any suggestions I'm pretty open around the weekdays for morning coffee or hell even afternoon coffee!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Considering the new AG opinion, i think now the deck is cleared to organize some nice friendly open carry picnics.

Start small in a park where there is no local restriction on open carry so the issue of preemption gets mentioned in the news as making local rules a non-issue - plan for Spring, say late march?.

Then organize an event in a park - say late April - where the locality DOES have some restrictions and serve notice on the city by way of press release that there will be an open carry rally at their park in celebration of the AG Opinion declaring their policy preempted.

Good luck and let me and John know how we can help, e.g., with press releases, etc.

Some localities may have rules requiring notice and permit to hold an event of more than X people - others will not. If their is no need for a permit to hold the picnic, then don't stir things up by asking for one!

sha-ul

Considering the new AG opinion, i think now the deck is cleared to organize some nice friendly open carry picnics.
I think I know which ksag opinion you are talking about, but you might provide a cite.
it also wouldn't hurt to cross post on the ksccw.com forum as well to circulate as widely as possible.

PS, the legislature is in session now! call your senator& rep and lobby for FULL PREEMPTION.

marine0300

Hey Sha-ul,

When you signed onto the Kansas forum the top two threads are about the opinions with links. Please review them.

As for KSCCW (I also blog there) Both opinions have been posted and debated.

Thank you for your comments and support of open carry in Kansas!

marine0300

I AGREE FULL PREEMPTION!!!!!

Last edited:

sha-ul

Hey Sha-ul,

When you signed onto the Kansas forum the top two threads are about the opinions with links. Please review them.

As for KSCCW (I also blog there) Both opinions have been posted and debated.

Thank you for your comments and support of open carry in Kansas!

marine0300

I AGREE FULL PREEMPTION!!!!!

I know you are there, as I see you quite a bit ;)
I am however quite disappointed that preemption is so low on the priority list for so many pro2a people in our state.
Especially in the wake of rewording article4 of the KS BOR. as I read it, the constitution provides it's own preemption.