• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Rally ideas

DWCook

Activist Member
I am posting up an idea of having an "Open Carry" meet Rally in the Olathe area. Like to get banners typed up and have just a bunch of us meet up at a good location. Have one similiar to others where we meet and eat, talk about ideas. I know some people might not like this idea, but if were to make a better hit in politics with the right its a good idea. Advertisement for the meet will be figured out in someway, I am just throwing this idea out. I personally think we need to have a regular open carry meet to where we get media attention. Yes there is a chance it can get ugly with protestors and such but that goes with the right.

I am in no means wanting this to be a violent or aggressive event, just a bunch of us regular people who believe in the right of open carry and the fact that gun permits are just a money collector. I do personally have my own permit to conceal, but that doesn't change my opinion at all. Like to make this thread a sticky and get some ideas rolling and a rough plan.

Names Denton by the way for everyone interested.

Like to make sure we represent OPENCARRY.ORG if we can get this event some how planned out! Not sure on everyone's take on this but I personally think that it's a good idea.

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
Am I safely assuming that people are becoming quiet on the whole idea? Common guys I know we all want open carry to be fully legal without twisted laws that make it impossible! We need to fight to get rid of these stipulations and requirements for open carry. Everything is dollar signs to politicians for rights.

M

McX

we here in Wisconsin have had alot of success with OC picnics, and OC coffee meets at StarBucks, and Culvers. Something for you to consider in your planning!

DWCook

Activist Member
yeah I read up and watched some past videos on "Open Carry" meets that were successful. I'm not having much luck on getting people here in Kansas interested in the idea. I'm willing to do all the planning and get it all setup. Just figure if us Kansas residents want "Open Carry" we need to be more aggressive on our displaying of our rights. I have been writing up letters to the AG and getting them ready to mail them to him. Also posting up on power line polls printed papers displaying to fight the right to "Open Carry".

Damiansar-15

Wichita

How about Wichita? I tried to do an open carry protest in downtown Wichita and only had two people show up with about a dozen concealed carry people hiding in the surrounding cafes... I coordinated the event to protest Wichita's ordinance ban on "loaded" open carry, which essentially is an unconstitutional ordinance...

I will be back home visiting the first weekend in June if folks are interested in meeting at Starbucks or something...

Damian

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
One of the most sucessful methods we here in Virginia have found is to "Just Do It". Or, stated differently, "If you announce it, they will come".

Do your research on the rules for use of a place, and the absence of any laws/policies against firearms, then simply put up the information and sit back and wait for the day of the event.

If you are contacted by the press and asked how many people you expect will attend, remember the saying about under-advertising and over-delivering. If all you are sure will be there is you and your two buddies, but hope that maybe 25 will show up, tell the press you are expecting a very small number of people - maybe only one or two - for this first event. Then, if 50 or 75 or 100 show up you have instant sucess, and if only you and your two buddies are there you do not wind up with egg on your face for saying more people would be there.

My question to you is why are you looking for media attention via a rally? Have you considered that folks open carrying as part of their daily routine with nobody noticing anything out of the ordinary or calling the cops is perhaps the greatest sign of sucess in convincing the public that OC is not "dangerous" or "attention-grabbing" or some sort of "political protest"? Get-togethers for coffee and conversation/fellowship or meals and conversation/fellowship are great ways of getting folks together and letting the general public see that you OC-ers are ordinary, law-abiding folks just like them.

stay safe.

DEROS72

2A Rally in Wa. state

Heres the Rally Myself and some others from Open Carry Wa.organized last week on our capital grounds.We had one of our senators as keynote speaker ,she was also carrying.Clint Didier formally of the Washington Redskins.Everything was free.Note we even had a color guard.If you need some help let me know.We had 3 to 4hundred in attendance.Live singers.Prizes for the kids,free t-shirts.Check out the short video in the second link of Kerry Hooks singing the national anthem behind the color guard.She is awesome.

http://photobucket.com/2ndAmendmentRally

http://www.southsoundpatriots.com/2ndamendment.html

Last edited:

kcgunfan

I would spend a few months building a core group, before you even worry about the media. Otherwise, you could have the media show up with 2 people there. That's not exactly a positive showing. If you do end up holding a gathering in the KC area, post it on the Missouri board also. I'd be more than happy to show, and I imagine you'd get several more. We do bicker like siblings sometimes on the boards, but we're all very supportive in person.

USAR-VET

We're doing the same thing in CT. I've seen posts from other states where people meet and great at a local resturant or coffee shop and hang out and talk. Maybe make some new friends. Some invite local media to cover also which helps our cause also.

Q1984a1776

Open Carry b-b-q?

DW, I live not too far from Olathe and would be very interested in organizing such an event! I also am certain that several of my friends would also be interested in participating, including military servicemen and law enforcement officials. If this is still something you are "aiming" to do, har har, we might exchange contact info and see when and where would be a good place to assemble.

DWCook

Activist Member
DW, I live not too far from Olathe and would be very interested in organizing such an event! I also am certain that several of my friends would also be interested in participating, including military servicemen and law enforcement officials. If this is still something you are "aiming" to do, har har, we might exchange contact info and see when and where would be a good place to assemble.

Yes I am still interested in organizing an event rally, Im still figuring on when and where and appropriate times that are best.

DWCook

Activist Member
awesome! I have been looking into this for a while its just been difficult figuring location that is better or best for this event. As far as advertisement goes, I think we can either all wear opencarry.org apparel or make our own. Any ideas to help make this event better just post up!

C-dub

I'll be up in the area sometime in the next 6 weeks. I haven't decided exactly when yet, but if it's while I'm there I'll come by.

DWCook

Activist Member
Its been kind of weird and odd trying to find a place to have this rally, I been getting alot of no answers to open areas from the city of olathe. I went to city hall to verify some locations and got no on all responses! I would first ask about the particular area and the office clerk would tell me "oh yeah you can use it just as long as it does not cause an issue to the public" then I get asked.....what kind of rally is this, I tell the clerk its an 2nd Amen. Open Carry Rally, RIGHT as soon as I speak those words I get this answer. "Oh from our schedule calender there is suppose to be construction work going on near there, we dont want that kind of Rally effecting the publics "SAFETY". Maybe Im not cushioning the wording enough but I seem to be getting alot of "No". Anyone here have ideas on giving me some help on this will be greatly appreciated!

Just PM me or reply to this thread on ideas or maybe what I can do different to get better results!

Oh and Im by no means speaking of this rally in a tone or wording it so it sounds dangerous or by any means NOT safe. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

DWCook

Activist Member
still no luck on any good areas as I am getting alot of negative feed back from city officials and just from city hall! Still going to keep this going until it happens and then it might turn easier to have a open carry rally. Yes I do know that Kansas doesn't really have much issues with OC but this will help other states out and such with the idea of OC.

C-dub

Maybe you could try asking about the things they have used to disqualify your request first before telling them what kind of rally. Things like, if there will be any construction going on at during that time period.

PotterMP

Open Carry meeting

I'm at Fort Riley, If you're able to give me a time, date, and location I will definitely join you at an OC meeting up in Overland Park.

Potter
*Assist, Protect, Defend*

grimjack

I'll come

I am in KCK, and would be happy to make he cross town drive to go to a rally with you. If the city is giving you a hard time, just ask everyone to carry unloaded. The city may not have a law against loaded open carry, but they CAN"T have a law against unloaded open carry. The police here think that thinking about a gun is a reason to arrest, so I would love to help get your ball rolling, then maybe it will roll north a bit.
Grimjack