Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the 'waiting period' been challanged?

Has the 'waiting period' been challanged?

I was just thinking about this...i can OC in to just about any gun store...put down $400, have a background check run...then WAIT to pick up my shiny new toy. Has the 'wait' been challanged as to constitutionallity, because if one is not a felon, you can OC INTO the store...gun on your hip, yet you still have to wait to get your new one. I see that as another infringement.

There are several states who do not have this waiting period. That is one I'd like to see go just because it does nothing to curb crime, and does nothing but irritate those who already own a firearm. I'd like to know why I am able to take a long gun home the same day, but have to wait 48 hours for a handgun?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    There are several states who do not have this waiting period. That is one I'd like to see go just because it does nothing to curb crime, and does nothing but irritate those who already own a firearm. I'd like to know why I am able to take a long gun home the same day, but have to wait 48 hours for a handgun?
    Long guns are used for hunting, handguns are used for crime, domestic violence and suicide.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    Long guns are used for hunting, handguns are used for crime, domestic violence and suicide.
    I am sure that in the end, this is the "thinking" behind the wait...

I should add that when I get mad, it does tend to last a little longer then two days. Hell, the gun laws in Wisconsin have had me pissed off for years!
    Last edited by AaronS; 04-04-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    Hell, the gun laws in Wisconsin have had me pissed off for years!
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Obviously that's true because Charles Whitman who murdered 14 people off The Texas Tower in 1966, or when Lee Boyd Malvo and John Allen Muhammad murdered 10 people in the DC area in 2002 never happened. I guess libs never see those things...

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Actually a shot gun works well for suicide. One just needs a yard stick to push the trigger. I guess we could ban yard sticks.
    The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
    The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose!

The Gun Control Act of 1968 is clearly unconstitutional. Background checks are obviously so. It is ASKING for a right, which means it's a privilege.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

I have been unfortunate to have 3 friends end the lives ,2 with shotguns and 1 with a lever 30-30,not to mention 1 guy with a M-16 in the service in the fox hole next to me during basic training. thus the hand gun for killing your self theory is flawed ! I believe more people use other means that are not so messy.
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

Quote Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
    I have been unfortunate to have 3 friends end the lives ,2 with shotguns and 1 with a lever 30-30,not to mention 1 guy with a M-16 in the service in the fox hole next to me during basic training. thus the hand gun for killing your self theory is flawed ! I believe more people use other means that are not so messy.
    Overdosing on pills is the most common way.

Taking a bath with a plugged in toaster ? as long as they find toast it's not suicide...the guy was just Hungry...
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 04-04-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

I have asked this MANY times. I don't understand what the problem is either. I have a pistol on my hip, why do I need to wait 48 hours for another one? But, the 48 hours is only when you buy from an FFL holder. So...?

McX
    this waiting period thing has been particularly frustrating to me; my fav. gun store is nearly 25 miles away, one way. i'm not interested in dealing with anyone closer, for a number of reasons. twice now i have had to buy a gun, go home, then return to pick it up later in the week. gas aint free. and yeah, like someone said on here; if i walk in with a gun on my hip, why should i have to wait to buy another one?

side note; i was surprised after talking with the gun store owner how many people do NOT pass their background check. he said he submittted mine with 3 others; 2 of us passed, 2 failed.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    this waiting period thing has been particularly frustrating to me; my fav. gun store is nearly 25 miles away, one way. i'm not interested in dealing with anyone closer, for a number of reasons. twice now i have had to buy a gun, go home, then return to pick it up later in the week. gas aint free. and yeah, like someone said on here; if i walk in with a gun on my hip, why should i have to wait to buy another one?

side note; i was surprised after talking with the gun store owner how many people do NOT pass their background check. he said he submittted mine with 3 others; 2 of us passed, 2 failed.
    Maybe, just for you MCX, the store owner might put up a cot and let you sleep for 48 hrs. Think of the gas money you'd save... hahaha
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Maybe, just for you MCX, the store owner might put up a cot and let you sleep for 48 hrs. Think of the gas money you'd save... hahaha
    only if the offer came with free cheeseburgers. a guy has to eat while waits, right?

Waiting periods don't make a lot of sense if you already own at least one firearm. But logic means nothing to the nannies.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    I was just thinking about this...i can OC in to just about any gun store...put down $400, have a background check run...then WAIT to pick up my shiny new toy. Has the 'wait' been challanged as to constitutionallity, because if one is not a felon, you can OC INTO the store...gun on your hip, yet you still have to wait to get your new one. I see that as another infringement.
    what gun stores allow OC? I know that a lot of outdoor stores allow it but every gun store I have been to says no firearms unless they are unloaded and cased. Only exception is when it is on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra469 View Post
    what gun stores allow OC? I know that a lot of outdoor stores allow it but every gun store I have been to says no firearms unless they are unloaded and cased. Only exception is when it is on the range.
    Fletcher Arms in Waukesha. They just do not allow holster draw on the range (which I'm sure other places are the same).

The 48 hr wait, a state law, should've been waived for CC permit holders in the last PPA bill... but it wasn't. I certainly hope any future CC laws will eliminate this "feel good" law.

I'd venture a guess that the majority of handgun purchasers in WI already own 1 or more handguns. The purpose of the 2 day wait is a "cooling off" period... in the event someone really pisses you off and you want to go buy a gun to kill them. If I already own a firearm, why would I need to go buy another one? If I have to wait 2 days, why then would I not just buy a shotgun or rifle over the counter, and use a hacksaw to "make" a handgun out of it?

Dude, long guns are used in crimes, domestic abuse situations and suicides.

Dam Road in delavan does.....

How about trading in a hand gun? I had to laugh when I traded in my .357 desert eagle but had to wait to take the .41 home.

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan

Thumbs up

Ammo Box, Sun Prairie.
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY

I love Homers reaction to being informed he has to wait.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post

Many of the dealers around here have started charging $25 or so to do the background check. The charge is waived if you pass and buy a gun. It is because so many do not pass and just keep going from store to store hoping that one will slip through. They are just wasting the time of the dealer knowning full well that they won't pass but act all surprised when informed that they failed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast