• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has the 'waiting period' been challanged?

GlockRDH

I was just thinking about this...i can OC in to just about any gun store...put down $400, have a background check run...then WAIT to pick up my shiny new toy. Has the 'wait' been challanged as to constitutionallity, because if one is not a felon, you can OC INTO the store...gun on your hip, yet you still have to wait to get your new one. I see that as another infringement.

protias

There are several states who do not have this waiting period. That is one I'd like to see go just because it does nothing to curb crime, and does nothing but irritate those who already own a firearm. I'd like to know why I am able to take a long gun home the same day, but have to wait 48 hours for a handgun?

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
There are several states who do not have this waiting period. That is one I'd like to see go just because it does nothing to curb crime, and does nothing but irritate those who already own a firearm. I'd like to know why I am able to take a long gun home the same day, but have to wait 48 hours for a handgun?

Long guns are used for hunting, handguns are used for crime, domestic violence and suicide.

AaronS

Long guns are used for hunting, handguns are used for crime, domestic violence and suicide.

I am sure that in the end, this is the "thinking" behind the wait...

I should add that when I get mad, it does tend to last a little longer then two days. Hell, the gun laws in Wisconsin have had me pissed off for years!

Last edited:

XDFDE45

Hell, the gun laws in Wisconsin have had me pissed off for years!
rolling.gif

protias

Obviously that's true because Charles Whitman who murdered 14 people off The Texas Tower in 1966, or when Lee Boyd Malvo and John Allen Muhammad murdered 10 people in the DC area in 2002 never happened. I guess libs never see those things... :rolleyes:

littlewolf

I have been unfortunate to have 3 friends end the lives ,2 with shotguns and 1 with a lever 30-30,not to mention 1 guy with a M-16 in the service in the fox hole next to me during basic training. thus the hand gun for killing your self theory is flawed ! I believe more people use other means that are not so messy.

protias

I have been unfortunate to have 3 friends end the lives ,2 with shotguns and 1 with a lever 30-30,not to mention 1 guy with a M-16 in the service in the fox hole next to me during basic training. thus the hand gun for killing your self theory is flawed ! I believe more people use other means that are not so messy.
Overdosing on pills is the most common way.

Mlutz

I have asked this MANY times. I don't understand what the problem is either. I have a pistol on my hip, why do I need to wait 48 hours for another one? But, the 48 hours is only when you buy from an FFL holder. So...?

M

McX

this waiting period thing has been particularly frustrating to me; my fav. gun store is nearly 25 miles away, one way. i'm not interested in dealing with anyone closer, for a number of reasons. twice now i have had to buy a gun, go home, then return to pick it up later in the week. gas aint free. and yeah, like someone said on here; if i walk in with a gun on my hip, why should i have to wait to buy another one?

side note; i was surprised after talking with the gun store owner how many people do NOT pass their background check. he said he submittted mine with 3 others; 2 of us passed, 2 failed.

Krusty

this waiting period thing has been particularly frustrating to me; my fav. gun store is nearly 25 miles away, one way. i'm not interested in dealing with anyone closer, for a number of reasons. twice now i have had to buy a gun, go home, then return to pick it up later in the week. gas aint free. and yeah, like someone said on here; if i walk in with a gun on my hip, why should i have to wait to buy another one?

side note; i was surprised after talking with the gun store owner how many people do NOT pass their background check. he said he submittted mine with 3 others; 2 of us passed, 2 failed.

Maybe, just for you MCX, the store owner might put up a cot and let you sleep for 48 hrs. Think of the gas money you'd save... hahaha

M

McX

Maybe, just for you MCX, the store owner might put up a cot and let you sleep for 48 hrs. Think of the gas money you'd save... hahaha

only if the offer came with free cheeseburgers. a guy has to eat while waits, right?

Cobra469

I was just thinking about this...i can OC in to just about any gun store...put down $400, have a background check run...then WAIT to pick up my shiny new toy. Has the 'wait' been challanged as to constitutionallity, because if one is not a felon, you can OC INTO the store...gun on your hip, yet you still have to wait to get your new one. I see that as another infringement.

what gun stores allow OC? I know that a lot of outdoor stores allow it but every gun store I have been to says no firearms unless they are unloaded and cased. Only exception is when it is on the range.

protias

what gun stores allow OC? I know that a lot of outdoor stores allow it but every gun store I have been to says no firearms unless they are unloaded and cased. Only exception is when it is on the range.
Fletcher Arms in Waukesha. They just do not allow holster draw on the range (which I'm sure other places are the same).

safcrkr

The 48 hr wait, a state law, should've been waived for CC permit holders in the last PPA bill... but it wasn't. I certainly hope any future CC laws will eliminate this "feel good" law.

I'd venture a guess that the majority of handgun purchasers in WI already own 1 or more handguns. The purpose of the 2 day wait is a "cooling off" period... in the event someone really pisses you off and you want to go buy a gun to kill them. If I already own a firearm, why would I need to go buy another one? If I have to wait 2 days, why then would I not just buy a shotgun or rifle over the counter, and use a hacksaw to "make" a handgun out of it?