Thread: Aldi Delavan is posted.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Aldi Delavan is posted.

I was shopping Saturday, which I have done many times and finally stopped to read a sign by the door.

Here is the email I just sent to them using their feedback form:

I have been a loyal customer of Aldi's for many years.

On my visist to your Delavan, WI store this past Saturday, 4/2/11, I finally stopped and read one of your signs by the front door. It says:

"No person shall knowingly possess, have under the person's control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordinance on these premises. O.R.C 2923.125 & 2911.21"

In WI, the only way I can carry a firearm is openly, according to state law. I open carry every day, every where. I carry in Wal-Mart, Piggly Wiglly, Starbucks and other places too numerous to name. I have, before I noticed this sign, open carried in this Aldi.

It has been shown that banning the carrying of firearms in a business only guarantees that the only people carrying are criminals. This creates a criminal free-fire zone.

I would ask that Aldi do what other merchants do, remove the sign and issue a policy that states that they 'follow state law'. If you do not do this, I legally cannot carry in your store anymore and therefore do not feel comfortable shopping in your store due to the fact I would be unable to protect myself. I can get my groceries at other facilities that allow me to exercise my right to self defense, albeit at a higher price.

In addition, I am a member of a nationwide group OpenCarry.org that monitors businesses treatment of customers that support self defense. They could possibly join me in my decision to forgo using your establishment.

Here is the thread on the forum that I started.

A couple other point about the sign. The sign mentions OCR 2923.125 & 2911.21 which according to my research are Ohio laws. OH laws are unenforceable in WI.

Also, the sign uses the term 'ordinance' which means 'laws', so, if I read the sign as written, I can't carry a weapon or deadly laws. I believe the word you mean to use is ordnance, which would cover explosives and such.

Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss this further.
    Last edited by paul@paul-fisher.com; 04-04-2011 at 10:25 AM.

I look forward to hearing what they say.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    If I remember correctly, ALDI is based someplace in Europe, and they are a union shop (That is why the cashiers are seated at the registers)
    So I would not expect rights to be respected by a company based in anti-rights Europe (Germany I think)

I wonder if they meant "ordnance" instead of "ordinance"?

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I wonder if they meant "ordnance" instead of "ordinance"?
    As I explained in the email quoted in my post.

We have an Aldi's here in Menomonie, WI. I shop there every now and then, I should see if they have one of those signs as well, if they don't then I'm sure as heck OCing there.
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

I shop somewhat regularly at 2 Aldi's (W Burleigh in MKE, & County Line Rd. in Germantown) & haven't seen any sort of sign there. Will check to be sure next time I'm in both. Have OCd while shopping there many times, with no response of any kind from customers or staff.

Staff even got snippy with me last time I was at the Burleigh store trying to find something that had been in their ad & was shown on a big poster by the front door, so they obviously weren't intimidated in the least.

I would NEVER point out to the establishment that they have a misspelled word in a statement like that....their error could be used to your advantage later on...
    btw, ive not noticed any sign in the Madison Aldis...

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan

Thumbs up

I was OCing in the Beaver Dam Aldi's recently; no sign.
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

Too funny that you correct their grammar!

Received this:

Reference: Inquiry #105411

Dear Mr. Fisher:

We have received your inquiry regarding the ordnance sign located on the front entrance of our Delavan ALDI store.

Your concern has been forwarded to our Director of Store Operations for review and you will be contacted with further information as soon as our investigation is complete.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and we hope you will continue to be a loyal ALDI shopper.

Sincerely,

Oak Creek Division Customer Service
    At least it is being handled locally.
    Last edited by paul@paul-fisher.com; 04-05-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Received a call this morning. It is being escalated up the chain in the region. The person I talked to said they are printing out the statutes and other information, they even visited the site here!

I referred them to www.wisconsincarry.org to see the other statutes and case law as well as the OC brochure.

They will let us know.

Great! I KNEW youd be good for somethign Paul. :-)

Thanks for Updating us,Paul.

I frequently shop at the Cudahy branch and Carry there as well.
    Never had a problem.I've looked several times for some signage
    and havent seen any.

True Story.
    Mrs had finished shoppin at the Aldi in Cudahy and was loading the
    groceries into the back of her Explorer.
    Someone tried grabbing her purse and taking off only to run headlong into
    the fender of a Cudahy Police cruiser.

Mrs got her purse back.Bad guy went bye-bye....But seriously what are the
    odds of that happening again ???

I mean,How many times can you expect a Cop to be right there to see a crime being
    commited.I just see it as... it was her lucky day.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Seeing as how Paul's email has gotten a fairly civil response, & they're looking at WI laws, perhaps those of us who shop at Aldi's should email them (link in the first post) & tell them about our patronage. Mention that we're law-abiding legally-armed citizens who like saving money & would like to keep shopping there, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Seeing as how Paul's email has gotten a fairly civil response, & they're looking at WI laws, perhaps those of us who shop at Aldi's should email them (link in the first post) & tell them about our patronage. Mention that we're law-abiding legally-armed citizens who like saving money & would like to keep shopping there, etc.
    I would agree with that!

I'll send an email if you want to provide the addy Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I'll send an email if you want to provide the addy Paul.
    It's in the 1st post of this thread. The words 'feedback form' are a link to their site.

I told them that I have shopped there for many years and spend on average $100 a week.

E-mail sent....

As I am a frequent weekly shopper at your Burlington location and also a member of Wisconsin Open Carry, I would respectfully request that you allow the "Open Carry" of a sidearm in all your locations. The Wal-Mart in Burlington (not far from your Burlington location) has no problem with open carry in their store. I carry there often. I know from my daily visits to the open carry website that you are already receiving requests similar to mine. Just to be clear, I very much enjoy the shopping experience Aldi's offers, but based on my beliefs that a constitutional (and legal) right not exercised is a right weakened and eventually lost, I will not in good conscious patronize a store that denies me that right. Hence the Wal-Mart reference. Please do not construe this as a threat. This is a request with an added fact....

Thank you for your time in considering my request....

Outdoorsman1

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    It's in the 1st post of this thread. The words 'feedback form' are a link to their site.

I told them that I have shopped there for many years and spend on average $100 a week.
    Duh Ty! My bad. Yeah, we shop at Aldi all of the time.

Update on this?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I knew their was a reason I never shopped there.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Update on this?
    I went by there last week and it was still posted. I haven't heard anything else. I will shoot off an email today asking for an update.

I also never got a reply to the e-mail I sent... (posted above)...

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

I hadn't heard anything back on this for a while so I decided to go back to Aldi today to see if they had quietly taken down the sign. No....

Anyhow, the sign won't be legal November 1st so I am emailing them again. I'll keep you posted.

email I sent:

I had written you in April about you 'no weapons' sign at you Delavan, WI store. You had indicated that you would like into it and get back to me. As of yet, I haven't heard anything. To date, you have lost approximately $2600 of sales just to me in the intervening time. As of 11/1, the sign you have posted does not meet the requirements in WI law, so it will be ineffective. I, however, will continue to not shop there. In addition, as of 11/1, since you are posted, you will lose the additional immunity from lawsuit offered by 175.60(21)(b), which grants immunity to people and companies that do NOT post.

Please consider carefully the monetary loss as well as the liability implications by continuing to leave that sign up.

We are watching for your response:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1633345
    Last edited by paul@paul-fisher.com; 10-22-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added email.