• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Aldi Delavan is posted.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I was shopping Saturday, which I have done many times and finally stopped to read a sign by the door.

Here is the email I just sent to them using their feedback form:

I have been a loyal customer of Aldi's for many years.

On my visist to your Delavan, WI store this past Saturday, 4/2/11, I finally stopped and read one of your signs by the front door. It says:

"No person shall knowingly possess, have under the person's control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordinance on these premises. O.R.C 2923.125 & 2911.21"

In WI, the only way I can carry a firearm is openly, according to state law. I open carry every day, every where. I carry in Wal-Mart, Piggly Wiglly, Starbucks and other places too numerous to name. I have, before I noticed this sign, open carried in this Aldi.

It has been shown that banning the carrying of firearms in a business only guarantees that the only people carrying are criminals. This creates a criminal free-fire zone.

I would ask that Aldi do what other merchants do, remove the sign and issue a policy that states that they 'follow state law'. If you do not do this, I legally cannot carry in your store anymore and therefore do not feel comfortable shopping in your store due to the fact I would be unable to protect myself. I can get my groceries at other facilities that allow me to exercise my right to self defense, albeit at a higher price.

In addition, I am a member of a nationwide group OpenCarry.org that monitors businesses treatment of customers that support self defense. They could possibly join me in my decision to forgo using your establishment.

Here is the thread on the forum that I started.

A couple other point about the sign. The sign mentions OCR 2923.125 & 2911.21 which according to my research are Ohio laws. OH laws are unenforceable in WI.

Also, the sign uses the term 'ordinance' which means 'laws', so, if I read the sign as written, I can't carry a weapon or deadly laws. I believe the word you mean to use is ordnance, which would cover explosives and such.

Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss this further.

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
If I remember correctly, ALDI is based someplace in Europe, and they are a union shop (That is why the cashiers are seated at the registers)
So I would not expect rights to be respected by a company based in anti-rights Europe (Germany I think)

Pyro01

We have an Aldi's here in Menomonie, WI. I shop there every now and then, I should see if they have one of those signs as well, if they don't then I'm sure as heck OCing there.

MKEgal

I shop somewhat regularly at 2 Aldi's (W Burleigh in MKE, & County Line Rd. in Germantown) & haven't seen any sort of sign there. Will check to be sure next time I'm in both. Have OCd while shopping there many times, with no response of any kind from customers or staff.

Staff even got snippy with me last time I was at the Burleigh store trying to find something that had been in their ad & was shown on a big poster by the front door, so they obviously weren't intimidated in the least.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Received this:

Reference: Inquiry #105411

Dear Mr. Fisher:

We have received your inquiry regarding the ordnance sign located on the front entrance of our Delavan ALDI store.

Your concern has been forwarded to our Director of Store Operations for review and you will be contacted with further information as soon as our investigation is complete.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and we hope you will continue to be a loyal ALDI shopper.

Sincerely,

Oak Creek Division Customer Service

At least it is being handled locally.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Received a call this morning. It is being escalated up the chain in the region. The person I talked to said they are printing out the statutes and other information, they even visited the site here!

I referred them to www.wisconsincarry.org to see the other statutes and case law as well as the OC brochure.

They will let us know.

LR Yote 312

Thanks for Updating us,Paul.

I frequently shop at the Cudahy branch and Carry there as well.
Never had a problem.I've looked several times for some signage
and havent seen any.

True Story.
Mrs had finished shoppin at the Aldi in Cudahy and was loading the
groceries into the back of her Explorer.
Someone tried grabbing her purse and taking off only to run headlong into
the fender of a Cudahy Police cruiser.

Mrs got her purse back.Bad guy went bye-bye....But seriously what are the
odds of that happening again ???

I mean,How many times can you expect a Cop to be right there to see a crime being
commited.I just see it as... it was her lucky day.

LR Yote

MKEgal

Seeing as how Paul's email has gotten a fairly civil response, & they're looking at WI laws, perhaps those of us who shop at Aldi's should email them (link in the first post) & tell them about our patronage. Mention that we're law-abiding legally-armed citizens who like saving money & would like to keep shopping there, etc.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Seeing as how Paul's email has gotten a fairly civil response, & they're looking at WI laws, perhaps those of us who shop at Aldi's should email them (link in the first post) & tell them about our patronage. Mention that we're law-abiding legally-armed citizens who like saving money & would like to keep shopping there, etc.

I would agree with that!

Outdoorsman1

E-mail sent....

As I am a frequent weekly shopper at your Burlington location and also a member of Wisconsin Open Carry, I would respectfully request that you allow the "Open Carry" of a sidearm in all your locations. The Wal-Mart in Burlington (not far from your Burlington location) has no problem with open carry in their store. I carry there often. I know from my daily visits to the open carry website that you are already receiving requests similar to mine. Just to be clear, I very much enjoy the shopping experience Aldi's offers, but based on my beliefs that a constitutional (and legal) right not exercised is a right weakened and eventually lost, I will not in good conscious patronize a store that denies me that right. Hence the Wal-Mart reference. Please do not construe this as a threat. This is a request with an added fact....

Thank you for your time in considering my request....

Outdoorsman1