• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

transport to oc

ride65

This may have been answered before, but I cant seem to find it. We (wife and I) walk in numerous state parks in S.E. Michigan. I have oc'd at the parks that allow hunting,(being a lawful place where a firearm may be discharged), and wonder how do I legally transport my weapon to other areas that don't?(I do lock it in the trunk, wclip removed, no CCW)

TheQ

Empty chamber, remove magazine and put it in the trunk. If you want to be super safe put it in a locked box in the trunk.

If a cop pulls you over for whatever reason, don't tell him about the gun in the trunk.

If he asks if you have any weapons in the car kindly reply that you don't want to discuss the content of your car with him.

NEVER consent to a search, let him get a warrant (or try). They may try to intimidate you into consenting, but hold your ground.

If he searches w/o consent, say nothing to him, call a lawyer.

TheQ

BTW, it's a CPL. A CCW is a crime (felony), not a permit.

ETA: I'll say it before someone else does (probably in a ruder tone) -- go read the stickies.

stainless1911

Banned
Welcome:D

TheQ is right, there is no reason to talk about it. When the cop asks if there are any drugs weapons knives grenades or rocket launchers in the car, you respond with, "No sir/ma'am, there is nothing illegal in the car. You have not lied, but you have answered the question. Don't let them search. You're not breaking the law by transporting, but it does simplify things for you.

Dont go on the premises of any place that has any liquor license of any kind wether they sell alcohol or not.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Welcome

A couple of things to point out. This site & ones like http://www.miopencarry.org are chalked full of good advice & links to the laws as they relate to open carry in our state with & without a CPL.

You will save yourself a lot of razzing if you watch this video. I assume you carry a pistol & almost all modern semi-auto pistols use MAGAZINES not CLIPS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzmVJ1rXD9U

ride65

read all the stickies, good info there , watched the videos, those were good too, also read the Mi St. Police Bulliten #86(keep a copy of that in my pocket). But what I don't get is how to transport legally to areas I want to open carry(metro-parks)where no hunting is allowed . Are these places that I stop at just Part of my route to and from legal locations as spelled out in the law?

stainless1911

Banned
You are referring to MCL 750.231a. In that there is a list of "
reasons" to have a gun in the car. The wording of the law is as follows

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.Sec. 231a.'

(b) "Lawful purpose" includes the following:

The word "includes" would be that it is not an all inclusive list. The MSP #86 does color the issue a little bit, but the general consensus is that you do not need a "reason" to exercise your RKBA. Open carry is a lawful activity, and one that is protected by the Michigan constitution.

This is why we have suggested that you do not disclose that you have a gun in the car, and do not consent to a search of the vehicle.

You could always have "reason" that you have prepared ahead of time, just in case that follows the prescribed list exactly if it makes you feel better.

Most people that get themselves into trouble on such things have talked themselves into that trouble. Im going to go find a couple links for you, and would encourage you to follow up on both videos, it could save you a lot of trouble in the future.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
You are referring to MCL 750.231a. In that there is a list of "
reasons" to have a gun in the car. The wording of the law is as follows

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.Sec. 231a.'

(b) "Lawful purpose" includes the following:

The word "includes" would be that it is not an all inclusive list. The MSP #86 does color the issue a little bit, but the general consensus is that you do not need a "reason" to exercise your RKBA. Open carry is a lawful activity, and one that is protected by the Michigan constitution.

This is why we have suggested that you do not disclose that you have a gun in the car, and do not consent to a search of the vehicle.

You could always have "reason" that you have prepared ahead of time, just in case that follows the prescribed list exactly if it makes you feel better.

Most people that get themselves into trouble on such things have talked themselves into that trouble. Im going to go find a couple links for you, and would encourage you to follow up on both videos, it could save you a lot of trouble in the future.

This is a good cite above. Remember before this MCL was updated rogue officers would try to jam up an individual by asking where are you coming from & where are you going to? If you said well I'm coming home from a bible study session then you could be detained & ticketed for improper transport back then. Now you simply say (if the officer sees the properly cased / secured weapon) "I am lawfully transporting a firearm. I do not care to discuss my personal itinerary with you officer." Let them try to figure it out, do not volunteer any information as it will be used against you. If you were ticketed, you simply tell the judge you were returning home with your legally registered pistol in an approved locked container as the law specifies, usually the next thing you will hear from the bench is "case dismissed!"

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
A book to read & consult from time to time.

read all the stickies, good info there , watched the videos, those were good too, also read the Mi St. Police Bulliten #86(keep a copy of that in my pocket). But what I don't get is how to transport legally to areas I want to open carry(metro-parks)where no hunting is allowed . Are these places that I stop at just Part of my route to and from legal locations as spelled out in the law?

I am not familiar with the law in regards to OC in metro parks (state controlled)? I am sure many here are and will be along shortly may I suggest you invest a few bucks ($10 to $15 buys a copy of this very detailed OC book PDF download version is the cheapest) it covers just about everything imaginable when it comes to OC in MI.

Link --> http://www.citizensleaguesd.com/p/store.html

Chapter 9
STATE PARKS, STATE LAND, NATIONAL PARKS AND NATIONAL FORESTS

If no one answers I suggest you PM Michigander (tell him G9OS sent you) he wrote it and he should be able to give you a answer on this. sadly, I have not been to a state park in years but it is still good to know the answer in case I may want to go to one in the future.

Bests of luck in your OC adventures ;)

G9OS

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I am not familiar with the law in regards to OC in metro parks (state controlled)? I am sure many here are and will be along shortly may I suggest you invest a few bucks ($10 to $15 buys a copy of this very detailed OC book PDF download version is the cheapest) it covers just about everything imaginable when it comes to OC in MI.

Link --> http://www.citizensleaguesd.com/p/store.html

Chapter 9
STATE PARKS, STATE LAND, NATIONAL PARKS AND NATIONAL FORESTS

If no one answers I suggest you PM Michigander (tell him G9OS sent you) he wrote it and he should be able to give you a answer on this. sadly, I have not been to a state park in years but it is still good to know the answer in case I may want to go to one in the future.

Bests of luck in your OC adventures ;)

G9OS

It's actually The Huron-Clinton Metropolitan Authority and it is not part of the state park system, it's an "authority"... you know, much like CDL is an "authority". Now perhaps some will see why the library issue in Lansing will have huge repercussions.

Here's their rule on firearms:

FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS- No person shall possess or control any rifle, shotgun or other firearm, bow and arrow, slingshot, pellet gun, air rifle, fireworks, explosives, or other dangerous substances within the boundaries of any park, without written permission of the Authority; provided, that this rule shall not apply to any law enforcement officer who has been duly appointed by the government of the United States, the State of Michigan or any county, municipality other political subdivision of the State of Michigan; and provided, further that this section shall not prohibit a person from legally carrying firearms in accordance with state law, including transporting an unloaded shotgun in a case within the boundaries of Lake Erie or Metro Beach Metropark for the purpose of using Lake Erie or Metro Beach Metropark as access to a permitted hunting area.

see http://www.metroparks.com/content.aspx?ID=127

So it appears as long as you are legal under state law, you should be fine. But then again, in light of CDL's Library rules which also mention state law... I would be careful here.

Last edited:

ride65

the videos on dealing with the police were very informative. I never thought that you could screw yourself so easily just by trying to be honest and straight forward. Thanks for the info. This I believe sets me on the right track to better inform myself about oc ,you can bet that I'll be back with more questions.
Thanks

TheQ

the videos on dealing with the police were very informative. I never thought that you could screw yourself so easily just by trying to be honest and straight forward. Thanks for the info. This I believe sets me on the right track to better inform myself about oc ,you can bet that I'll be back with more questions.
Thanks

You don't owe me a thing, I've been there too...someone once helped me out, the way I'm helping you. If you really want to pay me back, here's what to do....

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Clip vs. magazine

I've been fighting this little war for nearly 35 years. I have to say it's a battle going no where. I've even heard "professionals" use the terms interchangeably. I think our efforts would be best directed else where.

Now, where did I put my spare .45 clips? Oh yeah, they're laying on top of my G&A magazines. ;)

stainless1911

Banned
Yeah? weeelll, 40 is still better than 9mm.
smiley36.gif