• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pirates are just criminals... at sea

eye95

Criminals (including pirates) are selfish cowards??

Quelle surprise! Well, not to you or me, but apparently to governments and shipping companies. It is about time that some of them realized that fighting back (or, most of the time, simply indicating that you are willing to fight back) is enough to get almost all criminals (including pirates) to look for more docile victims.

hermannr

I think the ship owners could get those international ports that refuse to land armed commercial ships to change their tune quickly, by just boycoting them. Nothing speaks as loudly as $$$$$$$.

DevinWKuska

I hear surplus mustard gas works rather well.. Flame throwers too! Little wooden boats burning shouldnt be too hard for whoever polices the oceans to find. Let them mow down... I mean take care of the surviving pirates

irish52084

Is it possible to get government approval to hunt down pirates? Something like a letter of marque? I'm kind of surprised a company hasn't tried it already, although there's probably not much profit in it.

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

Is it possible to get government approval to hunt down pirates? Something like a letter of marque? I'm kind of surprised a company hasn't tried it already, although there's probably not much profit in it.

Congress certainly has the power to issue letters of Marque against pirates. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea but I would prefer that ships take care of their own security.

j4l

Actually yes. However, getting the current, or even the previous admin to locate their nads and issue the letters is another matter.. way too touchy-feely these days...

But, the old Letter or Margue acts are still on the books,so to speak. They just havent been used for a long time..

"Article 1 of the United States Constitution lists issuing letters of marque and reprisal in Section 8 as one of the enumerated powers of Congress, alongside the power to "declare War", and because the United States has not renounced privateering by treaty, in theory it could still issue letters of marque.

No letter of marque has been legitimately issued by the United States since the nineteenth century
.[29] The status of submarine-hunting Goodyear airships in the early days of World War II has created significant confusion. Although various accounts refer to airships Resolute and Volunteer as operating under a "privateer status", Congress never authorized a commission, nor did the President sign one.

The issue of marque and reprisal was raised before Congress after the September 11 attacks[30] and again on July 21, 2007, by Congressman Ron Paul. The attacks were defined as acts of "air piracy" and the Marque and Reprisal Act of 2001 was introduced, which would have granted the president the authority to use letters of marque and reprisal against the specific terrorists, instead of warring against a foreign state. The terrorists were compared to pirates in that they are difficult to fight by traditional military means.[31] Congressman Paul also advocated the use of letters of marque to address the issue of Somali pirates operating in the Gulf of Aden on April 15, 2009. However, the bills Congressman Paul introduced were not enacted into law."

Beo

Congressman Paul also advocated the use of letters of marque to address the issue of Somali pirates operating in the Gulf of Aden on April 15, 2009. However, the bills Congressman Paul introduced were not enacted into law."

Yet another reason Ron Paul rocks! Why is this man not President yet?

amzbrady

I would think this is an oppurtunity for a new business. A pirate hunting cruise. People pay to go on safari's to hunt elephants, lions, bear, cougars, why not pirates?