• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody apply for a CHP in Henrico recently?

curtiswr

Sorry for creating a CHP thread on OpenCarry.org

I have a friend that is applying for his CHP as I type this. Henrico requires fingerprinting and he told me that on the form for the prints it states there is a $10 charge. If anyone has gone through the process in Henrico recently, do you remember if they actually do charge that $10 and if so do they then only charge $40 at the clerk's office?

I guess I will find out soon enough, but was creating a thread to see/offer guidance to him if he pushes the issue. I think he'll just end up paying extra rather than pushing it, if it comes to that though.

Update: He was not charged the $10 at the police station for fingerprinting, has not made it to the clerk's office yet.

Last edited:

SicSemperTyrannis

PHP:

He just called and said that's what he was told as well. Thanks Jim.

He was told to expect to be able to pick it up in 30-45 days.

Henrico is great with CHP's. Knowledgeable and professional and the Clerks office keeps up with changes to the law. The County even promptly made every change I requested to their web-site regarding CHP's. Until about two years ago, the web-site was riddled with errors (it referred to a concealed "weapons" permit, it said the Chief of Police issued permits, etc). The PD also seems to have improved immensely in the past few years regarding firearms law. My experience has been that Henrico County is very professionally managed on multiple levels....

Last edited:

Repeater

Henrico is great with CHP's. Knowledgeable and professional and the Clerks office keeps up with changes to the law. The County even promptly made every change I requested to their web-site regarding CHP's. Until about two years ago, the web-site was riddled with errors (it referred to a concealed "weapons" permit, it said the Chief of Police issued permits, etc). The PD also seems to have improved immensely in the past few years regarding firearms law. My experience has been that Henrico County is very professionally managed on multiple levels....

I'm glad you said that. Any thoughts on the new Police Chief, Douglas A. Middleton? He has said he has an open mind and that he intend to beef up training.

I wonder if he would be willing to listen to OC residents about how to handle residents who carry?

scouser

Yes, I applied for one very recently, receipt is dated March 4th, the letter informing me the CHP was in the Clerk's office waiting for me was dated March 30th. And that is for a first application for a non US Citizen

In fairness as a response to the sending you somewhere else for the fingerprinting, it's only a few blocks away. Go the police station on Shrader first, get your fingerprints done, then take your application to the courthouse on Prince Henry. Don't sign the application or worry about finding someone to notarize it for you. Wait until you are with the Clerk and she will notarize your signature

snatale42

PHP:

He just called and said that's what he was told as well. Thanks Jim.

He was told to expect to be able to pick it up in 30-45 days.

Tell him to call in about 2 weeks, Both me and my buddy were told pick it up in 30 days, and when we did there were issued weeks before. They also said they'd send a letter which neither of us got. There on the ball when it comes to issuing them, they just don't let you know that they did! could be worse.