• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to Georgia

trooper46

Greetings!

In a few days I'll coming to your fine state for Temporary Duty (Infantry BOLC) at Ft. Benning, Georgia for 4 months. I plan to reside off post for most of that time and I was wondering if you guys could give me the basic rules for OC in Georgia (i.e dont go there, don;t do this, you MUST do this, etc.) I have my Kentucky CCDW and I will be retaining my KY residency while there on active duty.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kingfish

Georgia's laws are (now) quite carry friendly. We have a pretty short list of off limits places...

(1) In a government building
Very vague definition. Advisable to not carry in any building under the control of any government authority.

(2) In a courthouse
(3) In a jail or prison
(4) In a place of worship
(5) In a state mental health facility
(6) In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders

Restaurants are fine. Bar is vaguely defined but some people swear by THIS site.

(7) On the premises of a nuclear power facility
(8) Within 150 feet of any polling place,

However, in GA active duty military are exempt from most off limits locations...
http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=130

Very few people in GA have issues while OCing...I have had no problems at all up here North of Atlanta.

Check out the laws for yourself...
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/
TITLE 16 Chapter 11

Another good resource...
http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

IANAL YMMV

aadvark

Trooper46:

Do NOT Forget..., Places Enumerated under 16-11-34.1 AND 16-11-127.1 are Off-Limits, as well!

aadvark

*** Under Georgia Code 16-11-130(a)(3), You have a Total Exemption from any Criminal Appication of any Statute regarding Firearms at The Places Mentioned under Georgia Codes 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2. ***

trooper46

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate the help.

One question, I was OCing at a public library and was told that the building was owned by the Department of Education and that only leos could carry there. I quoted the above statute that exempts active duty military from such locations and the attorney general's opinion letter. However, when asked to leave the premises with the firearm, I complied and parked across the street from the area. I spoke with the security supervisor who now says that even off duty leos cannot bring them onto their property. I sent him an email with the cited statutes and am awaiting to here back from him.

No big deal really, I don't intend to go there again. But I need to know if these places are off-limits for me as well.

Here is the email I sent

Sir,

The applicable statute can found be under OCGA 16-11-130. This statute exempts all those "employed in the military service of the state or The United States" from codes 16-11-126 through codes 16-11-127.2.

Below I have provided a link to the law statute

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=130

I have also provided a link to the State Attourney General's oppinion on the law which concludes that active duty military personell are exempted from the school provisions under OCGA 16-11-127.1 .

http://www.georgiapacking.org/ga-ag/u97-13.htm

I hope the following information will be of help and that we can work this out amicably.

thank you for your time and help,

xx. xxxxxx

Last edited:

aadvark

trooper46:

Law is Law!, and The Library HAS to Follow-the-Law!

Georgia Law 16-11-130(a)(3) Provides an Exception to The Application of Georgia Law 16-11-126 through Georgia Law16-11-127.2 for Persons who are in The Military!

Georgia Preempts The Library in This Area under Georgia Law 16-11-173!

aadvark

trooper46

The security supervisor from the library called me back today. He again quoted the list of prohibited places but flat out refused to talk about 16-11-130 which exempts me from those locations.

He further stated that his director would be filing a complaint with General Brown (post commander).

I hope this won't effect my career. I haven't violated the law and I simply emailed them the relevant statutes

Fallschirjmäger

What does the fact that the security supervisor talked about everything Except the one law which really matters - the one exempting you right along with law enforcement?

It tells me that he's trying his hardest to avoid admitting that you are indeed exempt under Georgia law.

aadvark

trooper46:

The Retarded Stupid Library Security Guard is an Idiot, Plain and Simple!

He Probably does NOT even have a GED!

Georgia Law 16-11-130(3) Exempts You from The Application of Georgia Law 16-11-127 through Georgia Law16-11-127.2!

Georgia Law 16-11-173 Preempts The Library!

Your Commander should Ignore This Complaint, and You should Show Him The Laws of Georgia for Yourself!

aadvark

Last edited:

trooper46

Thank you for the support and reassurance friends.

Does anyone know a good gun rights or civil attorney near Columbus? After hearing the complaint sent to my command, I have reason to believe that I have been slandered (false claims made in the complaint).

ET.

Sorry I found this thread so late.

First, go to this site: GeorgiaPacking.org ...You will find alot of information and several lawyers post on the forums. They will be able to direct you to a good 2nd amendment lawyer there.

Secondly, thank you for your service to our country. You have volunteered to put your life in harms way for your country and should never be treated like this bafoon has treated you. My sincerest apologies from a Georgian who is totally embarrassed that you would be treated this way in my state. Again, I am sorry you are being put through this.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

I would expect that the L/C that would take the call as the General's Exec, or Command SM, will blow the guy off. You did nothing wrong and shouldn't be concerned.