Thread: is this against the law

is this against the law

hi folks, i was wondering, can i carry my pistol out on my jet ski? i will have to keep it in the front compatment because if i wear it on my hip, i dont want it to get wet. but if i put it in a waterproof bag, and put it in the front of ski and close the lid is that considered concealed since i dont have a concealed permit?
    what are the laws for the water?

I believe that would be considered concealed, also remember, no loaded weapons are allowed at NC Wildlife operated boat launches.

Sent from C-3PO (my Android) using Tapatalk Pro

It would be concealed, I am unsure about laws, as it would depend upon where you were.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

I am not buying this one either......
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 2005futch View Post
    hi folks, i was wondering, can i carry my pistol out on my jet ski? i will have to keep it in the front compatment because if i wear it on my hip, i dont want it to get wet. but if i put it in a waterproof bag, and put it in the front of ski and close the lid is that considered concealed since i dont have a concealed permit?
    what are the laws for the water?
    It would be considered concealed due to two things:

1. It's hidden from the public
    2. It's accessibility to you.

If you had some kind of "trunk" or something on the jet ski that you could put it in and have it not easily accessible to you, it would be considered transporting, not ccw, just like if you put it in your car's trunk while heading to the range or where ever.

I know very little concerning marine law in NC, though. There may very well be different laws dealing with watercraft and the transporting of guns.

It doesn't matter whether it would be considered "concealed" or not. Under NC law, it is illegal to possess ANY loaded firearm on a NC Boat Launch...

http://www.ncwildlife.org/newsreleas..._Questions.htm
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    It doesn't matter whether it would be considered "concealed" or not. Under NC law, it is illegal to possess ANY loaded firearm on a NC Boat Launch...

Let's say he launched from a private boat launch on his property...or is there such a thing in NC? Due to access onto a public waterway, are there such things as private launches or are they all considered "public"?

I drifted from my own point though. Let's say he cruised up from SC and entered NC waters, say the Cape Fear river. Now he has a concealed gun in his jet ski's box. Trouble still?
    Last edited by rotorhead; 04-05-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    I am not buying this one either......
    Haha! My thoughts as well.

I keep picturing Kenny Powers busting out a glock on his leopard print jet ski
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

Hopefully HB650 can fix this. There are many launches that are not operated by NC Wildlife, though. I have a friend that has a house in Woodlake and keeps his boats docked behind his house. He can walk out from his house and carry on his boat or ski. Jordan Lake or similar is another story.