• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Library letter

Vegassteve

I stole much of it from the BigGuy. This would go out to Executive Director - Jeanne Goodrich,Executive Assistant: Allison Boyer, Robb Morss - Deputy Director/COO

Hello,
My wife and I are Las Vegas residents and users of the Library system. We use the Rainbow branch nearly all the time. We are also lawful conceal carry weapon holders. We notice that your sign on the Rainbow door reads. No weapons. Per NRS 268.418 this only applies to concealed weapons not those carried openly as allowed here in Nevada. As you can see, this law refers to Conceal Carry Permittees only and does in no way apply to those who open carry such as me. I am not aware of any Nevada law restricting the open carry of firearms in such public buildings. I would like your assurance that as law abiding citizens we may carry openly without any harassment by your staff.

This policy is in violation of state law as the State of Nevada has sole authority in this area. It has complete preemption excepting for the discharge of firearms within city limits.
Please reference NRS 268.418 section 1 reads:

“Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.”

In doing business at City Hall I noticed a sign on the doors that prohibit the possession of firearms within the building. The sign references NRS 202.3673 which reads:

(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.

4. The provisions of paragraph (b) of subsection 3 do not prohibit:

(a) A permittee who is a judge from carrying a concealed firearm in the courthouse or courtroom in which the judge presides or from authorizing a permittee to carry a concealed firearm while in the courtroom of the judge and while traveling to and from the courtroom of the judge.

(b) A permittee who is a prosecuting attorney of an agency or political subdivision of the United States or of this State from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of a public building.

(c) A permittee who is employed in the public building from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building.

(d) A permittee from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building if the permittee has received written permission from the person in control of the public building to carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of the public building.

Vegassteve

Good catch I will fix that. Although the sign just says no weapons with the slash through the gun.

I am going to dig up the old email to post here.

Vegassteve

The old email from 2008 I got from them.

Subject: RE: Conceal firearm policy
To: yahoo.com
Date: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 2:55 PM

Hello Mr. W,

Thank you for writing.

All libraries are have notices posted that all firearms, concealed or
otherwise, are prohibited in the library.

Thank you for checking.

Susan Williams
Virtual Reference
Virtual Library
Las Vegas Clark County Library District
www.lvccld.org
(702) 734-7323 (main number)

Vegassteve

OK here is the letter I sent.
Hello,
My wife and I are Las Vegas residents and users of the Library system. We use the Rainbow branch nearly all the time. We are also lawful conceal carry weapon holders. We notice that your sign on the Rainbow door reads. No weapons. Per NRS 202.3673 this only applies to concealed weapons not those carried openly as allowed here in Nevada. As you can see, this law refers to Conceal Carry only and does in no way apply to those who open carry such as me. I am not aware of any Nevada law restricting the open carry of firearms in such public buildings. I would like your assurance that as law abiding citizens we may carry openly without any harassment by your staff.

This policy is in violation of state law as the State of Nevada has sole authority in this area. It has complete preemption excepting for the discharge of firearms within city limits.
Please reference NRS 268.418 section 1 reads:

“Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.”

NRS 202.3673 Reads.

(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.

4. The provisions of paragraph (b) of subsection 3 do not prohibit:

(a) A permittee who is a judge from carrying a concealed firearm in the courthouse or courtroom in which the judge presides or from authorizing a permittee to carry a concealed firearm while in the courtroom of the judge and while traveling to and from the courtroom of the judge.

(b) A permittee who is a prosecuting attorney of an agency or political subdivision of the United States or of this State from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of a public building.

(c) A permittee who is employed in the public building from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building.

(d) A permittee from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building if the permittee has received written permission from the person in control of the public building to carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of the public building.

I look forward to your response and assurance.

Vegassteve

And the response I have already got back.

Thank you for your email. We are looking into this issue, a process which may take some time. We'll get back to you after our review.

Jeanne Goodrich
Executive Director
Las Vegas-Clark County Library District
7060 W. Windmill Ln.
Las Vegas, NV 89113
Phone: 702-507-6184
Fax: 702-507-6187
goodrichj@lvccld.org
www.lvccld.org

Vegassteve

Not really sure what the next move should be. Maybe a follow up showing that the DMV understands the point? On another note I would be happy to pay the price to rent a room at the library for a couple of hours and provide snacks for a OC meetup. We would all OC of course. that would help them to push along and understand they can not deny our right.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
And the response I have already got back.

Thank you for your email. We are looking into this issue, a process which may take some time. We'll get back to you after our review.

To which a good response is something like:

"You have been advised of the law, including quotation and the NRS number with which to verify the information. You are the LIBRARY, you have the means to look up the law within seconds, and a reasonable person would assume that you have confirmed the information given within moments of receiving my message.

"I have posted copies of my initial message and your response for other supporters of the library to see, and some of us will be peaceably and openly carrying firearms at branches in your system. Should any of us be subjected to any difficulty, it would be difficult for a librarian to argue that you were not aware of the law or incapable of comprehending the language used.

"I advise that this 'review' be completed immediately and that all libraries and offices in your system be rapidly advised of the law and the liability to which you would be exposed for failure to comply."

Vegassteve

Email response I just sent.

Thank you for your prompt reply. This issue is being watched closely by several organizations here in Las Vegas and Nevada. The law is very clear on this issue. We do not see a reason that this should take some time. As you can see in the previous email the relevant NRS was given.

As there are no state laws banning the open carry of firearms, and there are no statutes against carrying in
city , county buildings or parks, then it is indeed legal and localities may not regulate otherwise.

In 1995, the Attorney General of Nevada issued an opinion regarding preemption and noted that the state has ultimate power with regard to firearm regulation reserving only the discharge of firearms to local governments. It states that in all cases local ordinances are inferior to state law.

Tom Jacobs, Chief Public Information Officer, Nevada Dept. of Motor Vehicles wrote this regarding a letter that had been sent to the State Department of Motor Vehicles concerning the same issue that I have written you about, in that local DMV offices had posted signs with a reference to NRS 202.3673. It was pointed out to them that this only covers permit holders and in no way limits the right of citizens to open carry. See the response below:

“You are correct. We are in the process of changing the signs.”

In addition there was lawsuit brought against the State of Nevada in which the A.G. Masto has now agreed not to enforce a prohibition against the carry of loaded firearms in state parks until such time as the state can take appropriate corrective action. http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/sep/22/agreement-allows-loaded-firearms-nevada-state-park/ . The federal government has lifted its prohibition against the carry of firearms in US parks bringing them in line with the state laws in which they are located.

jdholmes

Nicely played...the only thing I was wondering as I read your letter was why you started by stating that your wife and yourself are concealed carry permit holders. It confused me for a second there as you proceeded to argue for the ability to open carry...the fact you have a ccw is irrelevant and almost seemed to give some non-existent authority to it.

No biggy...I think you got your point across. Good job for stepping up.

Vegassteve

Nicely played...the only thing I was wondering as I read your letter was why you started by stating that your wife and yourself are concealed carry permit holders. It confused me for a second there as you proceeded to argue for the ability to open carry...the fact you have a ccw is irrelevant and almost seemed to give some non-existent authority to it.

No biggy...I think you got your point across. Good job for stepping up.

I kind of thought that as well. My end thinking though was maybe it would help to show I am not just some wingnut that I did have some sort of extra validity. I am sure they already thought that I was a wingnut regardless.

LvstudentDoc

this is one of those times where i put my gun in my backpack and just go about my business..they will never know and if there is an active shooter than their stupid policy is the last thing on my mind..sad but true.

chrsjhnsn

this is one of those times where i put my gun in my backpack and just go about my business..they will never know and if there is an active shooter than their stupid policy is the last thing on my mind..sad but true.

I mainly ccw and also don't worry to much, however it is important that we stand up for our rights.
If we do not, we lose them.

Vegassteve

I understand your statement, but with officials having been informed of this site and thread. Statements like that do not help our case. We dont need them to see us as outlaws but law abiding folks.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

Sent another letter today with the washoe county reply about parks. Also asked that if the lady I have been in contact with is not able to give a ruling then I wanted to know who would.