Thread: Need Some MAJOR Help!!

Statesville, North Carolina, United States

Question Need Some MAJOR Help!!

OK guys I live in Statesville, and I want to start OCing. I am 20 years old, and I am just wanting to know if I have to have a purchase permit to open carry or what. Do I have to have any kind of paper work? If so what do I need. ANY advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Answer to your questions: "No."

Unsolicited advice: Be more specific with your thread titles, and do a search to find information before you ask questions. Then ask detailed questions that have not already been answered multiple times.

To be clear, you do not need any paperwork to OC in NC, even if you are 18-20.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

I am not buying it..........
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

Yes you are right, I should have looked for more info before asking broad questions. I'm sure all of this information is in here somewhere several times. And after looking for about 3 hours and couldnt find it, I just thought i'd ask. But thank you very much for the info Sultan62. It is GREATLY appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    I am not buying it..........
    Not buying what???

the legitimacy of your questions.... ALL your answers are here...you just need to look/search...

Seek and ye shall find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Search forum.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	5629  

Quote Originally Posted by calynn View Post
    Seek and ye shall find.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by muccione View Post
    the legitimacy of your questions.... ALL your answers are here...you just need to look/search...
    Its a legitimate question if the gun does not belong to him. NC does not address the lending of guns in its law, but rather uses vague terms.

" 14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol or crossbow unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase."

Does the loan of a gun fall under giving, transferring, or receiving? We're going to say no, since the law doesn't specifically address the loaning of a gun.

Maybe the guy wanted to cover his behind.

Quote Originally Posted by x3atthis View Post
    Its a legitimate question if the gun does not belong to him. NC does not address the lending of guns in its law, but rather uses vague terms.

" 14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol or crossbow unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase."

Does the loan of a gun fall under giving, transferring, or receiving? We're going to say no, since the law doesn't specifically address the loaning of a gun.

Maybe the guy wanted to cover his behind.
    He could obtain a purchase permit as well, if he wanted to legally own, as oppose to possess, the handgun in question.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt09 View Post
    OK guys I live in Statesville, and I want to start OCing. I am 20 years old, and I am just wanting to know if I have to have a purchase permit to open carry or what. Do I have to have any kind of paper work? If so what do I need. ANY advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
    Welcome to the forum. There's a wealth of information available here, you just need to dig a little bit.

I still can't grasp the reasoning behind grouping crossbows with handguns!

Why are crossbows more restrictive than shotguns and rifles? Which would you rather be hunted by?!
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.