• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Some MAJOR Help!!

thunderbolt09

Statesville, North Carolina, United States
OK guys I live in Statesville, and I want to start OCing. I am 20 years old, and I am just wanting to know if I have to have a purchase permit to open carry or what. Do I have to have any kind of paper work? If so what do I need. ANY advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

sultan62

Answer to your questions: "No."

Unsolicited advice: Be more specific with your thread titles, and do a search to find information before you ask questions. Then ask detailed questions that have not already been answered multiple times.

To be clear, you do not need any paperwork to OC in NC, even if you are 18-20.

thunderbolt09

Statesville, North Carolina, United States
Yes you are right, I should have looked for more info before asking broad questions. I'm sure all of this information is in here somewhere several times. And after looking for about 3 hours and couldnt find it, I just thought i'd ask. But thank you very much for the info Sultan62. It is GREATLY appreciated.

muccione

the legitimacy of your questions.... ALL your answers are here...you just need to look/search...

x3atthis

the legitimacy of your questions.... ALL your answers are here...you just need to look/search...

Its a legitimate question if the gun does not belong to him. NC does not address the lending of guns in its law, but rather uses vague terms.

"§ 14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol or crossbow unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase."

Does the loan of a gun fall under giving, transferring, or receiving? We're going to say no, since the law doesn't specifically address the loaning of a gun.

Maybe the guy wanted to cover his behind.

sultan62

Its a legitimate question if the gun does not belong to him. NC does not address the lending of guns in its law, but rather uses vague terms.

"§ 14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol or crossbow unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase."

Does the loan of a gun fall under giving, transferring, or receiving? We're going to say no, since the law doesn't specifically address the loaning of a gun.

Maybe the guy wanted to cover his behind.

He could obtain a purchase permit as well, if he wanted to legally own, as oppose to possess, the handgun in question.

Greg Bradburn

OK guys I live in Statesville, and I want to start OCing. I am 20 years old, and I am just wanting to know if I have to have a purchase permit to open carry or what. Do I have to have any kind of paper work? If so what do I need. ANY advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Welcome to the forum. There's a wealth of information available here, you just need to dig a little bit.

Smith45acp

I still can't grasp the reasoning behind grouping crossbows with handguns!

Why are crossbows more restrictive than shotguns and rifles? Which would you rather be hunted by?!