• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

As I open Carried into Wal-mart...

amzbrady

As I OPEN CARRIED into Wal-mart, I deciced to go check out some adhesive targets to stick to some paper plates until I can afford to buy some metal targets. I was looking at the adhesive targets that have chip paint on them so you can see from a distance after you hit them (sorry, if you hit them :lol:).
I started thinking at $5 bucks a packet of 10, and I'm using paper plates to stick them to, what if they had paint where you could put a coat on of one color, then a second coat of another color that would do the same thing. So as I thought about this while OPEN CARRYING, I figured I would google it when I got home.
I got home, googled it and found nothing. Then I thought to myself..."Self, who better to ask than one of the most knowledgable groups in the country when it comes to gun stuff?"
So anyone got any ideas?

joeroket

I have never tried it but I would imagine that if you painted the plates bright orange and let it dry well you could paint black on top of it. I would think that the black, not being able to adhere to the paper, would chip off larger than the hole leaving some orange paint to be seen around the hole, especially if you use a high gloss orange, or whatever color you want. If you wanted to make something to see other than black you could take some thin, 1/8" or 1/4", tape and make whatever kind of target you wanted by taping off squares after the orange dries and then paint the black and pull the tape. You could use those circle stickers to create a center too.

The up front cost would be more off the bat but you could certainly save money in the long run, that is if it really works as easy as I think it would.

Whitney

Not as good but maybe cheaper

Try using a bright orange surveyors spray paint on the nonstick side of parchment paper or wax paper.

When the bullet impacts the nonstick paper you will see a defined hole as some wax and paint is removed around the area of bullet impact. I think this is good for close up but not so much if you are driving tacks.

~Whitney

OrangeIsTrouble

Sounds too complicated, get a bag of ballons (probably a gazillion for $5), blow them up, tie it with some string and hang it or whatever you want. You will instantly know if you hit it or not.

bushwacker

try mixing some flour and water into paste, then pour them into bunch of different size disk with a wire loop in them (this way you can hang them on the fence,car,house,anywhere,even on your mother in law...lol) and then let them hard. you could even put some coloring in them (for easter ,christmas, birthday or whatever shooting) if you want.

hermannr

Some paints are brittle, some are more flexable (like metal car paint flexable) and then an interior wood type paint would tend to be less flexable. Put the flexable paint down, let it dry, use something like a cooking spray, be sure to whipe most of it off, and the put the more brittle paint on.

I think the Birchwood targets are a good buy myself. I have used them for awhile now, they work very well for sighting in a weapon. I also use metal silhouette targets, but I like the paper targets for checking myself and the weapon.

The only place I have found a problem is when you put 5 rounds in the same "slash" like my wife High Standard Olympic can do.

amzbrady

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone pulled THIS kind of thing with their post...

Yea huh, although I was Open Carry when I thought about this. Although I would not be surprised if one of our most awesome forum police / hall monitors don't report the post as not open carry related and it be moved to the general forum. I do however plan on doing some serious open carry draw practice and deep concealment draw practice.

View attachment 5626

Sounds too complicated, get a bag of ballons (probably a gazillion for $5), blow them up, tie it with some string and hang it or whatever you want. You will instantly know if you hit it or not.

I have done balloons before, but before I blow them up, I pour blue or red powderd chalk for a chalk line in them so you see a poof when you hit them, throw some in a slight wind for a moving target like a slow rabbit.

Missed hitting the quote button, but that is actually a good Idea using wax paper. I think I might try the orange surveyers paint on wax paper with a coat of clear to make it a little more brittle, then make a template for some point lines and shoot black over it. I figure the initial cost would be about $15 bucks but that would include a pack of 150 paper plates. Besides paper targets would blow more in the wind as this is outdoors. I think eggs would be costly as I dont have a chicken farm, not to mention the mess.

Metalhead47

As I OPEN CARRIED into Wal-mart, I deciced to go check out some adhesive targets to stick to some paper plates until I can afford to buy some metal targets. I was looking at the adhesive targets that have chip paint on them so you can see from a distance after you hit them (sorry, if you hit them :lol:).
I started thinking at $5 bucks a packet of 10, and I'm using paper plates to stick them to, what if they had paint where you could put a coat on of one color, then a second coat of another color that would do the same thing. So as I thought about this while OPEN CARRYING, I figured I would google it when I got home.
I got home, googled it and found nothing. Then I thought to myself..."Self, who better to ask than one of the most knowledgable groups in the country when it comes to gun stuff?"
So anyone got any ideas?

Think you're overthinking. Much easier way is just paint your (naturally) dark metal target with a bright paint. Shoot the target and the paint will chip off revealing the dark metal underneath. Can be easily repainted in the field and used immediately too. My local range has a shotgun patterning board that uses a similar concept.

Alternatively, once you've got your targets made up (need someone to weld them for ya??), sand/degrease the shooting surface to bare metal, leave out the rain for a couple of weeks till it rusts, THEN paint over the rust. Paint should flake off quite nicely then.

amlevin

They work great. If you want to "spice it up" a little, before inflating the balloons put a little flour in them. About a teaspoon or so. When hit they leave a small cloud of flour dust in the air instead of just a disappearing balloon.

If you get some helium (Small containers are available where party supplies are sold) then tether the balloons at different distances. The air currents or wind will make them bounce around and give you some moving targets.

Another good target is an Oreo Cookie. Either suspended by string from a cross bar or stuck on a toothpick which is then stuck in a series of holes drilled in a piece of lumber. I use 1 X 2 furring strips. Problem with Oreo's is that I have to buy two packages. One to eat and one to shoot at. To save, get them at the "Stale Bread Store" (Bakery Outlet Store).

amlevin

Here's another option:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=cDabTYzNB4a6sAPoopWPBA&ved=0CCgQ8wIwAg#

Cm18o00e0pUbBryq0-oUlC4IZ6u2tvE_SAJfYsRhU4ZcOySkDW8yKsB1oW9PWgycJkl7NtvYRcVNtVAXGYCNC28uYLGszF19fQ9yUZfabqgiaX-hw9_ov9_UngUIkl7PZaBh66BjqzbopEDEaB1KrAgkHnure4OX-dWwOy9msUx1ggG7Z7Uz5jZTWQ3MWuRk_nZ0os0

You hang regular shotgun "clay birds" on it and there's no question that you have hit your target. Great for "speed drills".

A case of these birds are about $10 or so for 90 "birds".

TechnoWeenie

amzbrady

Stolen from my facebook...

Another great sunny day off spent with the whole fam damily. Taught Mariah to shoot the 22 rifle, great lesson in gun safety. We made some paperplate targets, She killed Godzilla, Japan will thank her for that, She killed King Kong, New York is safe again, She even killed the paperplate ninja, Chuck Norris can take the day off...

I did spray a few solid black and it was easy to see the daylight through it. With the wind they did flap back and forth a bit. Then we cleaned up our spent shells and some others.

There were a few guys that showed up and grabbed a shot up bucket and then drove off. After we were done, I saw them and stopped and gave them the paperplate targets we didnt use. I hope they didnt leave them there as trash. Gave them a few open carry pamphlets too.