Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: Walmart did not sell me 22 lr ammo and Im 18 :/

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6

    Walmart did not sell me 22 lr ammo and Im 18 :/

    Hello First Post , unfortunately not a very positive one,I am 18 years old & Today i went for the first time to buy 22LR ammo at my local wallymart in CA. I arrived at the sporting goods counter, and asked for some 22 lr amunition. Lady respontded by asking for my I.D . I wished to show it to her til she had the ammo at the counter but she would not budge. I showed her my I.D and mumbled something about 18 not being old enough. I reminded her i was buying ammunition for a rifle. She goes gets the ammo and starts tinkering with the computer. She tells me the machine is telling her i have to be 21, even though a sign on top says 18 for rifle & Shotgun ammunition :O, and 21 for handgun ammo.

    I tell her that it must be a mistake and tell her i wish to speak with the manager to solve this misunderstanding. I wait, and wait when finally instead of 1 asistant manager i see three walking towards me i was like wth? 4 people just staring at me hhaha talk about overreaction i greet her kindly and tell her that all i wish to do is purchase some rifle ammuniions, which is legal, as i point to the sign that says so on the wall. she tells me she is sorry but she cannot override the system. I quickly realize that these are anti gun nuts and there is no point in wasting my time there, they just listen to what the machine says not the law! I dont understand why they have that policy, or if they were just making things up to not sell it to me? by the way im Mexican American. So what did i do wrong is what im trying to figure out? Can anyone enlighten me?

  2. #2
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Don't shop at Walmart. Support your local Ma and Pa business if possible.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lolo, MT
    Posts
    160
    Reminds me of when my brother turned 16 and went to Big 5 Sporting Goods to buy a pellet gun. They wouldn't sell it to him. They said store policy was 18.

    He argued that 16 is legal in this state. He also pointed out that when he turns 18 he'd be buying a firearm instead of an air rifle. Go figure.
    "If you don't want to be shorn, don't be sheep!"

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510
    There may (or may not ) be a California state law at play here, but I'll let the Californians address that.

    In Free America, Wal-Mart asks if the ammo is for a handgun or a rifle. If you reply that it's for a handgun, you must be 21 to purchase it under federal law. Yes, even if you also own a rifle in the same caliber, and could legally purchase that "rifle ammo" in the same caliber at 18.

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711
    make a complaint thru walmart's online system re this store's action; nebntuon that tyhe refusal to follow state law and wal mart policy might have been a result of racial bias

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ...wal mart policy might have been a result of racial bias
    Racial bias? Where does race come into play?

  7. #7
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Racial bias? Where does race come into play?
    Wal Mart is facing a huge class action discrimination suit. They don't need another mess to clean up, it might be just the leverage you need to remove their heads from their fourth point of contact. Then again this is Kalifornia, What common sense people are born with is stripped of them by their publik skool system.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , Kernersville NC
    Posts
    783
    I heard of that from another state I was shopping. The fellow told me they consider 22lr ammo to be pistol or handgun also. I have no argument for their actions, just the stupid law.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    15 years ago or so the same thing happened to me at a sporting goods store here in Oklahoma. Bricks of 22 were cheep so I went to buy some and I couldn't since they could be used in handguns as well. Stupid policies.

  10. #10
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    When I was 18-20 I tried using the excuse on .357 that it was for a lever action rifle one time and it worked, though it didn't work most of the time. I've never had issue with the .22 though. Even now I say it's for rifle regardless because I'm less likely to get carded.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

    OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    33
    I seriously doubt race has anything to do with this since you didn't indicate that it did other then stating that you are 'mexican-american'. Please don't throw that around unless you really feel they did discriminate. Don't go for the 'easy' way to get them to sell...go for the 'right' way..the fact that it is legal for you to buy the ammo.

    Regarding the California law: not positive but they shouldn't have the sign posted saying it IS legal if a state law changes that fact. I did live there, but I was only 17 so couldn't even buy rifle rounds!

  12. #12
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811
    some places refuse to sell .22LR to under 21,meijers here wont sell .22 to me(they are like a regional version of Walmart)

    depending on the employee(ive since quit going here for this and other reasons,including the no open carry by customers rule)the gun shop where i bought my .22 rifle from wont even sell to under 21 for .22LR
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valhalla, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    351
    Bought some 20 ga shells a few months ago and she asked if it was for a handgun. I just stood there and said 'huh?'

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    All my normal suggestions probably don't apply in CA, but here goes anyway. Buy it online! Buy it in a different state and get enough to last 3 years.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    Bought some 20 ga shells a few months ago and she asked if it was for a handgun. I just stood there and said 'huh?'
    Yeah, for those new 20ga Taurus Judges...

    I was in MD last summer, and while in a WalMart in Columbia MD, I noticed that they had CCI 22LR ammo on sale. So I bought a case of 5 boxes. The kid at the counter asked if it was for a rifle or a pistol, and I told him, "it's called 22 LR--that stands for Long Rifle. What do you think it's for?"...

    He didn't ask for my ID, and just rang it up. But then again, I'm 45...

    However, in MD, ALL handgun ammo purchases require ID and signing a form with the type and caliber of ammo purchased, regardless of the age of the purchaser.

    How's that "gun control" thing working out for ya, Maryland?

    Forty-seven people have been slain in Baltimore this year, up nearly 18 percent compared with this time last year.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...0,692117.story
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6
    Your Right it was just a issue of illogical store policies . I was just annoyed that I had a sign right in front of me saying i had to be 18 to buy rifle ammunition :/, Thanks!

  17. #17
    Regular Member snatale42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by denni View Post
    Hello First Post , unfortunately not a very positive one,I am 18 years old & Today i went for the first time to buy 22LR ammo at my local wallymart in CA. I arrived at the sporting goods counter, and asked for some 22 lr amunition. Lady respontded by asking for my I.D . I wished to show it to her til she had the ammo at the counter but she would not budge. I showed her my I.D and mumbled something about 18 not being old enough. I reminded her i was buying ammunition for a rifle. She goes gets the ammo and starts tinkering with the computer. She tells me the machine is telling her i have to be 21, even though a sign on top says 18 for rifle & Shotgun ammunition :O, and 21 for handgun ammo.

    I tell her that it must be a mistake and tell her i wish to speak with the manager to solve this misunderstanding. I wait, and wait when finally instead of 1 asistant manager i see three walking towards me i was like wth? 4 people just staring at me hhaha talk about overreaction i greet her kindly and tell her that all i wish to do is purchase some rifle ammuniions, which is legal, as i point to the sign that says so on the wall. she tells me she is sorry but she cannot override the system. I quickly realize that these are anti gun nuts and there is no point in wasting my time there, they just listen to what the machine says not the law! I dont understand why they have that policy, or if they were just making things up to not sell it to me? by the way im Mexican American. So what did i do wrong is what im trying to figure out? Can anyone enlighten me?
    If there policy is that they'll sell to 18 and older, go back in there and BUY YOUR AMMO, theres a time to take you money elsewhere, and there a time to prove your point. If they are in fact screwing with you for your age I wouldn't let it go. Ask to speak with the store manager and tell them (make sure your right on this one) that you spoke to customer service (the real one not in store) and they said your were correct and should not have been refused a sale. If they continue pull out your cell and call wal mart corp while talking to the mgr and tell him no to go anywhere because you want him to tell them what he's telling you.....You'll walk out with your ammo.

  18. #18
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667
    I'm 20 and they have never stopped me from purchasing any kind of ammunition. The trick is to give them your CCW permit. They have never in all my times purchasing ammunition figured out where my date of birth is... :-)

  19. #19
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    I'm 20 and they have never stopped me from purchasing any kind of ammunition. The trick is to give them your CCW permit. They have never in all my times purchasing ammunition figured out where my date of birth is... :-)
    the sad part is,the vast majority of states dont have 18+ conceal permits
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291
    [QUOTE=Dreamer;1502569]Yeah, for those new 20ga Taurus Judges... QUOTE]

    Probably will never happen!

    This would be fall into the class III catagory since the bore would be over .50 caliber. There is a controversy over the new Judge that was chambered for 28 gauge.

    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...auge-revolver/

  21. #21
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    You might have inadvertently said something wrong. I had a couple kids come into my store one day, one was a Marine buying handgun ammo for his friend. He told me he was doing so, and therefore I had to require ID for the second person, they told me he was under 21 and that's why the older friend had to buy the ammo. I had to deny the purchase.

    I really felt bad, because I was being very friendly with them and basically unintentionally lead them into telling me that.


    I hate these ridiculous laws.

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by denni View Post
    She goes gets the ammo and starts tinkering with the computer. She tells me the machine is telling her i have to be 21, even though a sign on top says 18 for rifle & Shotgun ammunition :O, and 21 for handgun ammo.
    Once again, Garbage In, Garbage Out (GIGO) trumps reason, rationality, and the law. It's a lot more common than you might think, almost always a result of a programming or data input i.e. "human error." The second human error was made by both the clerk and the three managers who continued to perpetuate the error.

    I quickly realize that these are anti gun nuts and there is no point in wasting my time there, they just listen to what the machine says not the law!
    Just because they let a cash register do their thinking for them doesn't mean they're gun nuts. It means they're not able to rationally think for themselves. Admittedly, that's a quality that's shared with a lot of gun nuts, but that's beside the point.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    E TN
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    Bought some 20 ga shells a few months ago and she asked if it was for a handgun. I just stood there and said 'huh?'
    yeah, you might use shotgun shells in a FLARE GUN PISTOL.

    Once...

    Who does biz with Commie Mart anyway? I DONT. F Mart in my book.

    This is what I call the Lawyer Syndrome. Some control freak corporate Manager says to their F lawyer "tell us what to do to be absolved of any liability."

    Y'see, several years ago, 'the Ambulance Chaser profession (lawyers) werent making enough money prosecuting product liability cases, so the whole works got shifted to "personal injury" and the awards went crazy', a lawyer told me.

    When awards are multi million, corporations get nervous.

    Of course, the lawyer is paid to tell the company whatever they want to hear, stupid, ridiculous, illegal, immoral or not. Theyre a big corp in bed with Givernment, so what?

    So, they make stupid "rules" like this, and yes, they can do that, its their company/store (commies as they are...) and theres no law to the positive (that they have to sell it to one over 18/21, just to the negative of a prohibition to sales to minors.

    NEVER MIND the Constitution doesnt exclude "minors" as "people" or "Citizens" but thats another Goverment contrived attack on our Rights.

    So they hide behind their rules and its more convenient to hire stupid people to stand on the front line to "enforce them" because they get a thrill down their leg from someone giving them authority to "enforce" something against someone else (and theyre cheap to hire)

    Never mind their "rule" is contrary to law, but some paranoid Manager feels like hes safe...

    Target, last night, had a sign on their photo copy machine that no one could copy a picture that wasnt more than 75 years old. This is Bravo Sierra, because:

    1.) last I READ US copyright law, Copyright protection had been extended to 70 YEARS, not 75
    2.) who do they think they are to determine who the Copyright owner is? Thats determined by the owner a/o Copyright Office, not some arrogant moron at Target.
    3.) You copying a copyrighted work on their machine does not expose them to any liability, they arent doing the copying. "Allowing someone to use a copy machine" does not constitute Copyright infringement.

    But, people feel important (I think the PC term is "empowered") to play stupid little power games with others.

    I play them back by telling them what they can do with their product/service, that I either dont need it/them and can buy elsewhere.
    Last edited by Capn Camo; 04-07-2011 at 11:55 AM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    E TN
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    You might have inadvertently said something wrong. I had a couple kids come into my store one day, one was a Marine buying handgun ammo for his friend. He told me he was doing so, and therefore I had to require ID for the second person, they told me he was under 21 and that's why the older friend had to buy the ammo. I had to deny the purchase.

    I really felt bad, because I was being very friendly with them and basically unintentionally lead them into telling me that.


    I hate these ridiculous laws.
    what you did was deny a purchase to someone legally allowed to do so. The "for someone else" thing is a smokescreen you a/o your company are hiding behind.

    Does the LAW specify that he cant do that? (LAW not opinion?)

    The pertinent quesion is "who is buying it"?

    This is like the "straw purchase" crap the Feds play. Whats the diff between me making a straw purchase for a felon, or my buying it, going to his house afterwards and reselling it to him?

    NONE, except some idiot in Gubmint feels important because they made a rule and hoops for someone to jump through

  25. #25
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Capn Camo View Post
    This is like the "straw purchase" crap the Feds play. Whats the diff between me making a straw purchase for a felon, or my buying it, going to his house afterwards and reselling it to him?

    NONE, except some idiot in Gubmint feels important because they made a rule and hoops for someone to jump through
    You do realize that too would be illegal, correct?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •