• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart did not sell me 22 lr ammo and Im 18 :/

denni

Hello First Post :), unfortunately not a very positive one,I am 18 years old & Today i went for the first time to buy 22LR ammo at my local wallymart in CA. I arrived at the sporting goods counter, and asked for some 22 lr amunition. Lady respontded by asking for my I.D . I wished to show it to her til she had the ammo at the counter but she would not budge. I showed her my I.D and mumbled something about 18 not being old enough. I reminded her i was buying ammunition for a rifle. She goes gets the ammo and starts tinkering with the computer. She tells me the machine is telling her i have to be 21, even though a sign on top says 18 for rifle & Shotgun ammunition :O, and 21 for handgun ammo.

I tell her that it must be a mistake and tell her i wish to speak with the manager to solve this misunderstanding. I wait, and wait when finally instead of 1 asistant manager i see three walking towards me i was like wth? 4 people just staring at me hhaha talk about overreaction i greet her kindly and tell her that all i wish to do is purchase some rifle ammuniions, which is legal, as i point to the sign that says so on the wall. she tells me she is sorry but she cannot override the system. I quickly realize that these are anti gun nuts and there is no point in wasting my time there, they just listen to what the machine says not the law! I dont understand why they have that policy, or if they were just making things up to not sell it to me? by the way im Mexican American:). So what did i do wrong is what im trying to figure out? Can anyone enlighten me?

therealcombat

Reminds me of when my brother turned 16 and went to Big 5 Sporting Goods to buy a pellet gun. They wouldn't sell it to him. They said store policy was 18.

He argued that 16 is legal in this state. He also pointed out that when he turns 18 he'd be buying a firearm instead of an air rifle. Go figure.

KBCraig

There may (or may not ) be a California state law at play here, but I'll let the Californians address that.

In Free America, Wal-Mart asks if the ammo is for a handgun or a rifle. If you reply that it's for a handgun, you must be 21 to purchase it under federal law. Yes, even if you also own a rifle in the same caliber, and could legally purchase that "rifle ammo" in the same caliber at 18.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
make a complaint thru walmart's online system re this store's action; nebntuon that tyhe refusal to follow state law and wal mart policy might have been a result of racial bias

Nevada carrier

Racial bias? Where does race come into play?

Wal Mart is facing a huge class action discrimination suit. They don't need another mess to clean up, it might be just the leverage you need to remove their heads from their fourth point of contact. Then again this is Kalifornia, What common sense people are born with is stripped of them by their publik skool system.

nobama

I heard of that from another state I was shopping. The fellow told me they consider 22lr ammo to be pistol or handgun also. I have no argument for their actions, just the stupid law.

hrdware

15 years ago or so the same thing happened to me at a sporting goods store here in Oklahoma. Bricks of 22 were cheep so I went to buy some and I couldn't since they could be used in handguns as well. Stupid policies.

sultan62

When I was 18-20 I tried using the excuse on .357 that it was for a lever action rifle one time and it worked, though it didn't work most of the time. I've never had issue with the .22 though. Even now I say it's for rifle regardless because I'm less likely to get carded.

Custom Volusia

I seriously doubt race has anything to do with this since you didn't indicate that it did other then stating that you are 'mexican-american'. Please don't throw that around unless you really feel they did discriminate. Don't go for the 'easy' way to get them to sell...go for the 'right' way..the fact that it is legal for you to buy the ammo.

Regarding the California law: not positive but they shouldn't have the sign posted saying it IS legal if a state law changes that fact. I did live there, but I was only 17 so couldn't even buy rifle rounds!

lil_freak_66

some places refuse to sell .22LR to under 21,meijers here wont sell .22 to me(they are like a regional version of Walmart)

depending on the employee(ive since quit going here for this and other reasons,including the no open carry by customers rule)the gun shop where i bought my .22 rifle from wont even sell to under 21 for .22LR

hogeaterf6

Bought some 20 ga shells a few months ago and she asked if it was for a handgun. I just stood there and said 'huh?'

Daylen

All my normal suggestions probably don't apply in CA, but here goes anyway. Buy it online! Buy it in a different state and get enough to last 3 years.

Dreamer

Bought some 20 ga shells a few months ago and she asked if it was for a handgun. I just stood there and said 'huh?'

Yeah, for those new 20ga Taurus Judges... :banghead:

I was in MD last summer, and while in a WalMart in Columbia MD, I noticed that they had CCI 22LR ammo on sale. So I bought a case of 5 boxes. The kid at the counter asked if it was for a rifle or a pistol, and I told him, "it's called 22 LR--that stands for Long Rifle. What do you think it's for?"...

He didn't ask for my ID, and just rang it up. But then again, I'm 45...

However, in MD, ALL handgun ammo purchases require ID and signing a form with the type and caliber of ammo purchased, regardless of the age of the purchaser.

How's that "gun control" thing working out for ya, Maryland?

Forty-seven people have been slain in Baltimore this year, up nearly 18 percent compared with this time last year.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-ci-tuesday-shootings-20110405,0,692117.story

denni

Your Right it was just a issue of illogical store policies . I was just annoyed that I had a sign right in front of me saying i had to be 18 to buy rifle ammunition :/, Thanks!

snatale42

Hello First Post :), unfortunately not a very positive one,I am 18 years old & Today i went for the first time to buy 22LR ammo at my local wallymart in CA. I arrived at the sporting goods counter, and asked for some 22 lr amunition. Lady respontded by asking for my I.D . I wished to show it to her til she had the ammo at the counter but she would not budge. I showed her my I.D and mumbled something about 18 not being old enough. I reminded her i was buying ammunition for a rifle. She goes gets the ammo and starts tinkering with the computer. She tells me the machine is telling her i have to be 21, even though a sign on top says 18 for rifle & Shotgun ammunition :O, and 21 for handgun ammo.

I tell her that it must be a mistake and tell her i wish to speak with the manager to solve this misunderstanding. I wait, and wait when finally instead of 1 asistant manager i see three walking towards me i was like wth? 4 people just staring at me hhaha talk about overreaction i greet her kindly and tell her that all i wish to do is purchase some rifle ammuniions, which is legal, as i point to the sign that says so on the wall. she tells me she is sorry but she cannot override the system. I quickly realize that these are anti gun nuts and there is no point in wasting my time there, they just listen to what the machine says not the law! I dont understand why they have that policy, or if they were just making things up to not sell it to me? by the way im Mexican American:). So what did i do wrong is what im trying to figure out? Can anyone enlighten me?

If there policy is that they'll sell to 18 and older, go back in there and BUY YOUR AMMO, theres a time to take you money elsewhere, and there a time to prove your point. If they are in fact screwing with you for your age I wouldn't let it go. Ask to speak with the store manager and tell them (make sure your right on this one) that you spoke to customer service (the real one not in store) and they said your were correct and should not have been refused a sale. If they continue pull out your cell and call wal mart corp while talking to the mgr and tell him no to go anywhere because you want him to tell them what he's telling you.....You'll walk out with your ammo.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I'm 20 and they have never stopped me from purchasing any kind of ammunition. The trick is to give them your CCW permit. They have never in all my times purchasing ammunition figured out where my date of birth is... :)

lil_freak_66

I'm 20 and they have never stopped me from purchasing any kind of ammunition. The trick is to give them your CCW permit. They have never in all my times purchasing ammunition figured out where my date of birth is... :)

the sad part is,the vast majority of states dont have 18+ conceal permits