• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart did not sell me 22 lr ammo and Im 18 :/

Gunslinger

A long time ago when I had a MA CCW, I went to buy .22LR ammo for my Woodsman. They wouldn't even take it out of the case unless I put my CCW on the counter after he asked me what gun it was for. They explained that because it could be used for a pistol, their policy was you had to have a Pistol Permit (what MA calls a CCW), not just the FOID needed for long arms/ammo. I asked what if all I had was a rifle and didn't have, because I didn't need, a Pistol Permit. Their answer: "well, someone else would have to buy it for you." Thus is the logic of stupid laws and unintended consequences. Ultimately, they changed the regulation so the clerk merely asked. If you said a rifle, the FOID was ok.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You might have inadvertently said something wrong. I had a couple kids come into my store one day, one was a Marine buying handgun ammo for his friend. He told me he was doing so, and therefore I had to require ID for the second person, they told me he was under 21 and that's why the older friend had to buy the ammo. I had to deny the purchase. :banghead: :(

I really felt bad, because I was being very friendly with them and basically unintentionally lead them into telling me that.

I hate these ridiculous laws. :cuss:

what you did was deny a purchase to someone legally allowed to do so. The "for someone else" thing is a smokescreen you a/o your company are hiding behind.

Does the LAW specify that he cant do that? (LAW not opinion?)

The pertinent quesion is "who is buying it"?

This is like the "straw purchase" crap the Feds play. Whats the diff between me making a straw purchase for a felon, or my buying it, going to his house afterwards and reselling it to him?

NONE, except some idiot in Gubmint feels important because they made a rule and hoops for someone to jump through

No what he did was deny a purchase to someone that was obviously trying to circumvent the law. We even have a rule about that here - see rule #15.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Decoligny

A straw purchase is any purchase where someone buys something for another. For any reason.

The only question is whether a straw purchase for ammo is illegal, the answer seems to be yes.

Not quite accurate. I can buy ammunition for my friend/wife/anyone else, as long as I use my money, and later get repaid by the individual (technically re-selling the ammo), or if I give it to them as a gift.

It is a straw purchase if I act as their agent, using their money, to make the purchase instead of them making the purchase.

In real life, I highly doubt that any LEO would arrest someone for collecting money from several friends and doing a bulk buy in order to save everyone some money. The same LEO would probably have a problem with a 21 year old friend taking money from an 18 year old friend in order to buy him a box of .9mm for his pistol.

Last edited:

denni

Buy from you local Ma and Pa store that KommiwMart is putting out of business.
That is an excellent suggestion, I now encourage my closest family members to stop shopping there.

The only thing i would consider buying at Walmart is ammo. That is a considerable sacrifice because Walmart is conveniently one block from my house

We-the-People

Oh for the "good old days" when, at the ripe age of 12, I could walk into the local hardware store, pick up a box of 22LR off the shelf (yes GASP pick it up myself), go to the counter and give them my 40 or 50 cents and walk on out the door. No questions about age or type of weapon, no laws broken, just FREEDOM.

Oh for the "good old days" when I was 14 and got my own 12 guage shotgun for Christmas and could ride my bicycle down to the hardware store, pick up a box or two of 12 guage shells, pay my money and........

Oh for the good old days when my brother, myself, and two friends would head out hunting....... our friend had a motorcycle permit and a motorcycle. He'd sling his shotgun in front of his chest, the other friend would get on the back of the bike with his shotgun slung across his back, and my brother and I would wrap the ends of a rope attached to the back of the bike around the handlebar stem on our 10 speeds. HEY WE WERE SAFE....we only wrapped the rope and held the tag end griped with the handlebar for a safe and efficient "release"...... brother and i would have our shotguns slung across our backs and teh four of us would head off down the road to our hunting grounds some 10-20 (depending on our choice for the day) miles away.

And the only law we broke was the buddy riding on the back of the bike (permit denied passengers).

Oh for the good old days when I was 16 and went into the Coast to Coast store with money from my job, picked out a Winchester 12 guage pump, paid my money and walked out the door with my new shotgun in hand.

Oh for the good old days when, shortly after getting the pump shotgun I figured out how much ammo it could use compared to the single shot and bought a MEC 600 Jr reloader and 8 pounds of powder....just paid my money and walked.........

Imagine the horror of the brady bunch if we could just return to those days of freedom?

And yes my friends, that was all in Commiefornia. Cica 1974 - 1976.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I don't know if anyone's made a mention of this, but next time it happens, you could ask them if they know what the "LR" of "22LR" stands for? I can't imagine they could argue much when you tell them it's called "22 Long Rifle".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oh for the "good old days" when, at the ripe age of 12, ..........snip...

Imagine the horror of the brady bunch if we could just return to those days of freedom?

And yes my friends, that was all in Commiefornia. Cica 1974 - 1976.

You expect anyone to believe you? :lol:....:lol:

We-the-People

You expect anyone to believe you? :lol:....:lol:

Had to believe that was in California isn't it? To listen to teh brady bunchers you'd think there would be entire generations shot down in the streets by "kids with guns".

You have to remember, the Black Panthers "stormed" the capital in 1968 with lawfully loaded firearms. The much freaked out legislators began the labryinthian (sp) production of gun control regulations only after that incident.

In 1974 there still wasn't much as gun control, and tyranny, are implemented incrementally.

Federal law enforcement did come looking for that Winchester pump shotgun I purchased when I was 16 though. I was checking into MCAS El Toro and had brought it with me. Can't keep it in the baracks so I purchased a hard case and turned it into the armory on arrival. Had to chuck the original box and didn't think anything of just chucking it in the garbage at the baracks. OH BOY did I cause a ruckus when someone saw that box and called the Provost Marshal!!!!!! LOL

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Federal law enforcement did come looking for that Winchester pump shotgun I purchased when I was 16 though. I was checking into MCAS El Toro and had brought it with me. Can't keep it in the baracks so I purchased a hard case and turned it into the armory on arrival. Had to chuck the original box and didn't think anything of just chucking it in the garbage at the baracks. OH BOY did I cause a ruckus when someone saw that box and called the Provost Marshal!!!!!! LOL

Sound like it might have been an episode from the Keystone Cops - would love to see the panic over a cardboard box.

Don't throw your paint thinner cans and cold medicine boxes in the same trash can either. :uhoh:

We-the-People

Sound like it might have been an episode from the Keystone Cops - would love to see the panic over a cardboard box.

Don't throw your paint thinner cans and cold medicine boxes in the same trash can either. :uhoh:

They had evacuated the barracks and were then going through every squadbay. Calling in the people that lived there and making them open their wall lockers looking for that shotgun.....no civil rights on base...... Those that weren't there had seals placed on their lockers to be searched when they showed up (now days someone would cut teh seals to wreak more havoc and confusion upon the intrusion).

When I showed up and asked WTF and got the story I went up to one of the cops and said "it's my box, here's the receipt where I turned the weapon into the ARMORY like you're supposed to".

There were a lot of pissed of Jarheads that day and a whole lot of wasted manpower looking for a weapon that was....exactly where it belonged according to their rules.

Hmmmm not much has changed has it?