• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT Home Invasion

Magix

Didn't see this posted yet...one for the good guys in our backyard.

Police: Tacoma homeowner fatally shot intruder
http://tacoma.komonews.com/news/crime/one-dead-tacoma-shooting/632615

Submitted by KOMO Staff
Monday, April 4th, 02:53pm

What began as a burglary attempt ended with one person dead on Monday afternoon, according to investigators.

Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum said several people broke into a home near 38th Street and East J. Street around 2:30 p.m.

The homeowner, who was home at the time, ran upstairs and hid, Fulghum said.

When the intruders went upstairs, the homeowner opened fire through a door, fatally wounding one of them. The person was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police, with the help of canine officers, located a second suspect and took him into custody. They're looking for at least one more suspect. A description was not available.

The homeowner was not hurt.

Hours after the gunshots, a woman arrived at the crime scene, believing the man shot dead inside might be her son. She was not allowed to see the body, however, as investigators waited for the medical examiner to arrive.

"It's all on TV, and I can't see if its my son?" said the woman.

Police have not yet identified the man, and the investigation is ongoing.

amlevin

When the intruders went upstairs, the homeowner opened fire through a door, fatally wounding one of them. The person was pronounced dead at the scene.

Very lucky. Shooting through a closed door isn't real sharp. It relies on the assumption that that person on the other side is really a Bad Guy and not a family member or friend.

Turned out OK in this case but still not a good idea.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Turned out okay thus far, you never know what a prosecutor may or may not do.

While in the home the intruder I believe will be considered an imminent threat, though for one to shoot through a closed door could end up in horrible results as the guy who shot his wife in the kitchen because he did not know she was there.

OrangeIsTrouble

If you watch the video report, around the 1 minute mark, the reporter says the homeowner heard noises then saw three men. Don't forget, there are obvious sounds of a breaking and entering and of course, voices. One could probably figure out in a quiet home if someone entering had bad intentions or not. I don't guarantee it but it's reasonable.

Freedom First

Run and hide?

Not ripping the guy, but if he was carrying while in his home, he wouldn't have had to respond by fleeing to his bedroom. I'm guessing he is a single guy since there is no mention of family but even then, I figure that the safest place in my home for my firearm is on my hip. I have a family and there is no good hiding place to run to either so it's just not an option for me.

If my door is kicked in, the visitors will probably meet 110 pounds of grumpy mastiff and nine 230gr +P hollow points. I'm not a tough guy like some but I don't run very fast either... No E&E for me.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Different responses for different folks as to training, confidence, ability and so on.
Not such a bad idea to restrict from what direction they can come from and then defend or engage from there.

Their has been an emphasis on going to a secure place as a bedroom and prior to an incident is to setup the room of choice with harden areas as with bookcases full of books and so forth.

NavyMike

Justifiable homicide

Turned out okay thus far, you never know what a prosecutor may or may not do..

Highly doubt that any WA prosecutor would come after the home owner. He was clearly within the bounds of our justifiable homicide law:

RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

**** (1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

**** (2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Very lucky. Shooting through a closed door isn't real sharp. It relies on the assumption that that person on the other side is really a Bad Guy and not a family member or friend.

Turned out OK in this case but still not a good idea.

After reading the story, I envisioned that he was cornered/trapped and that was his final choice fearing for his life. I know I would not be put in that position, but under the circumstances described I would do the same thing.

Turned out okay thus far, you never know what a prosecutor may or may not do.

While in the home the intruder I believe will be considered an imminent threat, though for one to shoot through a closed door could end up in horrible results as the guy who shot his wife in the kitchen because he did not know she was there.

I read the story and as described was confident that the homeowner was convinced by the time frame and circumstances of his target.

Best to learn and to avoid that situation. About the only time I am unarmed in the house is in the shower and the nearest firearms are my pistol on the bed stand and the shotgun in the closet.