• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why hasn't anybody challenged Illinois gun laws based on the Illinois Constitution?

emk

"Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Dictionary definition of bear (several definitions, but these pertaining to):
"to carry; bring: to bear gifts."
"to hold or carry"

So the legislature has no power to ban carry whatsoever . . .

OC4me

Yep, "subject only to" pretty much makes the so-called right non-existant.

I'm reminded of the Mexican Constitution which also has a right to keep and bear arms guarantee followed by a 'subject to the police...' clause. And we all know how that has worked out for the poor citizens south of the border.

Last edited:

emk

I read that as the police have the ability in certain situations to disarm you, if, say, you're a criminal or some such thing. As in, the police can disarm you in the process of arrest. But I guess with any qualifiers in the state of Illinois, the government will find a way to get away with anything.

lockman

State Researcher
I read that as the police have the ability in certain situations to disarm you, if, say, you're a criminal or some such thing. As in, the police can disarm you in the process of arrest. But I guess with any qualifiers in the state of Illinois, the government will find a way to get away with anything.

"subject to the police power" has been interpreted by the Illinois Supreme Court to mean the legislatures powers to enact and enforce laws.