Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Sparks Marina Encounter

  1. #1
    Regular Member john-in-reno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    238

    Sparks Marina Encounter

    Of all the times to not have my recorder going it had to be this time!!

    I dropped my wife off at her work at about 6:50am this morning and she works close to the sparks marina.

    I geocache and there where some caches around the marina so I decided to do a couple before going home, so i park in the south parking lot close to the freeway at around 7am and take my time as i have trouble walking to far without resting.

    I get to one cache just past the dog area find it and head back to my car, total trip was less then or equal to half a mile one way and took me 1 hour and was passed by quite a few people.

    I move my car just a short distance, but still in the park, get out to do another cache, and while I was looking for it, a park ranger (Old guy, no way to protect himself) in a 4 wheel atv stopped and told me that he has had calls about a MWAG and he also has the SPD on there way, I said no problem! and said as I was grabbing my phone "Sparks Ordnance was repealed in November 22 of 2010 and started to show him, but the old guy didn't want any part of that, He was right and I was wrong in his eyes!

    Now the fun begins, SPD shows up to do there job and have no idea that the law has changed, the the first cop, proceeds to tell me that there was a law against being in the park with a gun and it is posted, and i told him that the law was repealed in November of 2010, and I have a copy on my smartphone (which was still in my hand), He asked me for my ID, which I refused to give and told him I would give him my name which i did even tho I know i did not need to do that at the time because I know there was no RAS, but in there minds there was.

    He asked me several times and tried the whole "It will make things go a lot easier" routine and I told him i satisfied the requirements to identify myself by giving my name, Now he starts walking away to use the radio and his phone.

    Cop # 2 ask if what I had around my neck was a fish-finder, and I started thinking why is he asking me that, I WAS NOT IN THE WATER!! LOL, and said No it was a GPS device, I was geocaching and had to explain to him what that was, cop #2 comes back and ask me for my birthday, and I asked he why he needed it, and I told him I have already ID'd myself buy giving my name, then he get back on the radio and says i refused to give my age and estimates my age to be 50 to 60 years old (not a bad guess)

    at this point I remember I have a COP Recorder app on my phone and manage to turn it on at this point (time 8:42)

    The I started talking to cop#2 about geocaching again and cop 3 comes over, and cop 2 tells cop 3 about ord 2445 and how that repealed the law about guns in the park and told him I have a pdf on my phone that showed that, cop # 3 asked if he could see it and was reading it, then cop 2 said he didnt know anything about this law and asked when did this happen, and I told him in 2007 the legislatures changed the law, and the only thing that the city's can regulate was the discharge of firearms.

    about a min later cop#1 comes back and says were good to go, cop#3 hands me my phone and cope#1 tells me that there might be more calls until it becomes more common place, and then cop#1 said thank you for being cooperative!!!! I just started laughing in my mind. (time 8:46)
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

    *** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

    MOLON LABE

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern Nevada, ,
    Posts
    721
    SPD shows up to do there job
    Their job is to serve warrants and make arrests. Got names?
    Last edited by Yard Sale; 04-05-2011 at 03:10 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Creech AFB. NV
    Posts
    107
    I'd still make a call an address the concern that there are cops who don't know the law. Scarey!

  4. #4
    Regular Member john-in-reno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    Their job is to serve warrants and make arrests. Got names?
    Forgot to use the /Scarasm on control

    And forgot to get names, i'm sure i can still get them when I ask for the recording, anyone know how do get it
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

    *** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

    MOLON LABE

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern Nevada, ,
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by john-in-reno View Post
    And forgot to get names, i'm sure i can still get them when I ask for the recording, anyone know how do get it
    That's the thing, I haven't ever been able to determine their names or other unique identifiers.

    I can probably get their radio transmissions. (Edit: Got it. Can't attach it in a PM or "send e-mail" so PM me your e-mail address if you want it.)
    Last edited by Yard Sale; 04-05-2011 at 03:42 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by john-in-reno View Post
    Of all the times to not have my recorder going it had to be this time!!

    I dropped my wife off at her work at about 6:50am this morning and she works close to the sparks marina.

    I geocache and there where some caches around the marina so I decided to do a couple before going home, so i park in the south parking lot close to the freeway at around 7am and take my time as i have trouble walking to far without resting.

    I get to one cache just past the dog area find it and head back to my car, total trip was less then or equal to half a mile one way and took me 1 hour and was passed by quite a few people.

    I move my car just a short distance, but still in the park, get out to do another cache, and while I was looking for it, a park ranger (Old guy, no way to protect himself) in a 4 wheel atv stopped and told me that he has had calls about a MWAG and he also has the SPD on there way, I said no problem! and said as I was grabbing my phone "Sparks Ordnance was repealed in November 22 of 2010 and started to show him, but the old guy didn't want any part of that, He was right and I was wrong in his eyes!

    Now the fun begins, SPD shows up to do there job and have no idea that the law has changed, the the first cop, proceeds to tell me that there was a law against being in the park with a gun and it is posted, and i told him that the law was repealed in November of 2010, and I have a copy on my smartphone (which was still in my hand), He asked me for my ID, which I refused to give and told him I would give him my name which i did even tho I know i did not need to do that at the time because I know there was no RAS, but in there minds there was.

    He asked me several times and tried the whole "It will make things go a lot easier" routine and I told him i satisfied the requirements to identify myself by giving my name, Now he starts walking away to use the radio and his phone.

    Cop # 2 ask if what I had around my neck was a fish-finder, and I started thinking why is he asking me that, I WAS NOT IN THE WATER!! LOL, and said No it was a GPS device, I was geocaching and had to explain to him what that was, cop #2 comes back and ask me for my birthday, and I asked he why he needed it, and I told him I have already ID'd myself buy giving my name, then he get back on the radio and says i refused to give my age and estimates my age to be 50 to 60 years old (not a bad guess)

    at this point I remember I have a COP Recorder app on my phone and manage to turn it on at this point (time 8:42)

    The I started talking to cop#2 about geocaching again and cop 3 comes over, and cop 2 tells cop 3 about ord 2445 and how that repealed the law about guns in the park and told him I have a pdf on my phone that showed that, cop # 3 asked if he could see it and was reading it, then cop 2 said he didnt know anything about this law and asked when did this happen, and I told him in 2007 the legislatures changed the law, and the only thing that the city's can regulate was the discharge of firearms.

    about a min later cop#1 comes back and says were good to go, cop#3 hands me my phone and cope#1 tells me that there might be more calls until it becomes more common place, and then cop#1 said thank you for being cooperative!!!! I just started laughing in my mind. (time 8:46)
    That's how it usually goes. Carry something around just in case you need it and when the time comes, you forget you have it. I do that a lot too.

    Sounds like there's some misinformed police officers in Sparks.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryMike View Post
    I'd still make a call an address the concern that there are cops who don't know the law. Scarey!
    Cops are not lawmakers, lawyers or judges. They generally operate on the "Rude Rule" -- if it looks "rude," there is probably a law which covers it -- and then hand it off to the prosecutor.

    That they didn't know about the ordinance is not surprising. When the change was made, they probably got a note about it at briefing, sandwiched between all of the other junk they get.

    These three cops know it now, and so do the dispatcher and the Watch Commander. The rest of the PD may or may not become aware of it until after a couple more responses, unless the supervisors are on the ball and make this something to be mentioned at briefings.

    In a case like this, where the cops learn of something during a call, it's a good idea to get (and spread) the names of the officers involved. The next OC to deal with the same situation in Sparks can mention the earlier incident and get the name(s) of the cops involved in the new one -- if any are the same, there are grounds for a lawsuit (or, at the very least, a letter to the Chief and the Watch Commander asking why they hire cops with such poor memory).

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    129
    A follow up letter might be in order. I would do it but I would also paint it in a positive light as they were actually pretty reasonable about the deal.
    The ID issue they are ALL going to ask it's the old addage of it doesn't hurt to ask and all they can do is say no. Sure an ID will go faster and easier. That's the truth it's just not mandatory and they didn't push it.
    They didn't get aggrevated and sounds like the one you spoke with was acting cordial while doing his job of "detaining" you.
    Overall I think it wa done professionally with respect. I'm hopoeful that the park ranger got the memo and will respond accordingly next time as well.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    I have learned the "hard way" to always get an event number if you do not get a ticket, kinda like a reciept. this way you have something to refer to. it would be good to call up and order your "CAD" (computer aided dispatch) report. they will resist, and ask why you need it, But if you persist, it will be yours. See NRS 239 it will be yur guide. nice work staying calm and educating.

  10. #10
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by john-in-reno
    He asked me for my ID, which I refused to give and told him I would give him my name which i did even tho I know i did not need to do that at the time because I know there was no RAS, but in there minds there was.

    He asked me several times and tried the whole "It will make things go a lot easier" routine
    I'd be very tempted to reply "this would go a lot easier if you'd follow the law, officer".
    Probably wouldn't say it, but I'd be tempted.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  11. #11
    Regular Member john-in-reno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    I have learned the "hard way" to always get an event number if you do not get a ticket, kinda like a reciept. this way you have something to refer to. it would be good to call up and order your "CAD" (computer aided dispatch) report. they will resist, and ask why you need it, But if you persist, it will be yours. See NRS 239 it will be yur guide. nice work staying calm and educating.
    Ok thanks, I will do that, I have someone sending me the scanner recording of the event, and might be able to get it from there.

    If not I know a Lt in the sparks police dept that might be able to help me get the info, but not sure.

    I'm still learning how to deal with the police and after it was all done I looked back on the event and noticed a few mistakes I made and hope to not repeat them again.
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

    *** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

    MOLON LABE

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    La Paz county, Arizona.
    Posts
    338
    I have a few questions:
    Is the park really posted? & if so that needs to be addressed.
    Can we inform dispatch to ask callers about MWAG calls to let people know its legal?
    Is it just Sparks that's been changed or all NV public parks?
    Seems to me I've heard somewhere that Vegas still tells people not to OC ( I may be incorrect, cant recall exactly)

  13. #13
    Regular Member Sabotage70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fabulous Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    844
    Yes, Vegas is having a hard time letting go of the laws the have been preempted.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

    RED DRAGONS!!!!

  14. #14
    Regular Member john-in-reno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by chrsjhnsn View Post
    Is the park really posted? & if so that needs to be addressed.
    When I was last there on the 4/5 it was posted, and I talked to Tracy Domingues, Acting Director of Parks & Recreation after I was harassed and she assured me that she is in the process of taking care of the signs, I need to follow up on this.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrsjhnsn View Post
    Can we inform dispatch to ask callers about MWAG calls to let people know its legal?
    I don't like to talk to cops if I don't have too, and also like they tell us all the time ignorance of the law is no excuse!

    Quote Originally Posted by chrsjhnsn View Post
    Is it just Sparks that's been changed or all NV public parks?
    Reno parks are fine to open carry in,

    Sparks had some laws on the books until it was brought to there attention and as of Nov 22 2010 those laws have been repealed and open carry in sparks parks is fine.

    Washoe county parks are still a no go, I have wrote to the county DA and the council members and have not heard a word back from them

    Quote Originally Posted by chrsjhnsn View Post
    Seems to me I've heard somewhere that Vegas still tells people not to OC ( I may be incorrect, cant recall exactly)
    Like Sabotage70 said!
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

    *** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

    MOLON LABE

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    La Paz county, Arizona.
    Posts
    338
    wait, I thought NV passed preemption-wouldn't that force Washoe County not to harass OC people in the WC parks?

  16. #16
    Regular Member john-in-reno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by chrsjhnsn View Post
    wait, I thought NV passed preemption-wouldn't that force Washoe County not to harass OC people in the WC parks?
    You are correct! But just like the problem they are having in LV. are local officials have there heads up there stink eye!

    It might take someone to be arrested and sue the county before they do somthing about it or we could all write the county commissioners and the Washoe county DA and keep the pressure on them just to let them know WE WILL NOT GO AWAY!
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

    *** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

    MOLON LABE

  17. #17
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713
    Where is a park that is owned by Washoe County?
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 04-17-2011 at 04:35 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member john-in-reno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    Where is a park that is owned by Washoe County?
    Washoe County Regional Parks and Open Space Guide (PDF, 1.58 MB)

    Here are 5 of almost 60 parks under Washoe County control
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Rancho San Rafael Regional Park
    Bowers Mansion Regional Park
    Hidden Valley Regional Park
    Mayberry Park
    Sun Valley Regional Park
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

    *** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

    MOLON LABE

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern Nevada, ,
    Posts
    721
    http://www.cityofsparks.us/governing...is11-22-10.pdf

    November 22, 2010:
    7.1 Second Reading and Public Hearing of Bill No. 2625, repealing
    Section 12.24.070 [Firearms prohibited; Exceptions] of the Sparks
    Municipal Code; and providing other matters properly related thereto
    2:55:46 PM
    MOTION: Council member Ed Lawson moved to approve Bill No. 2625, repealing
    Section 12.24.070 [Firearms prohibited; Exceptions] of the Sparks
    Municipal Code; and providing other matters properly related thereto
    SECOND: Council member Ron Smith
    AYES: Council members Ratti, Lawson, Smith, Carrigan and Schmitt
    NAYS: None
    ABSTAINERS: None
    ABSENT: None
    Passed unanimously
    Last edited by Yard Sale; 04-18-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •