• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky Knife Laws - Did You Know This?

09jisaac

I have a MO CCW so I guess I am ok regardless, but I guess what I am wondering since my K-bar is my do everything hunt/camp/fish/utility sheath knife, would it be an "ordinary hunting knife" under KRS? Just curious...

Hopefully yea. But like what was said, you may have to convince a judge that it is a ordinary hunting knife. Since you have a CC permit then it won't (shouldn't) apply to you, or if it was OC then it shouldn't. Now all you have to do is look at local ordinances to see if it is legal, KY has a preemptive firearm law but other weapons can be regulated.

09jisaac

So is it illegal for me to OC my pink handled K-BAR? >:O

If it is a local ordinance. But the KRS that we're discussing makes no mention of open carrying anything. We're talking about how it is illegal to conceal, without a permit, anything other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.

Edit: And what does it matter if it has a pink handle? Information like that isn't needed at all.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I could hear the prosecuting attorney now, "that knife is made for killing, the marines carry that knife to cut the enmies throat, it certainly is a deadly weapon!". Haha. I would think it COULD be considered a hunting knife, and most judges in Ky would probably agree, but get to the bigger cities, and it could be labeled a deadly weapon. The statute really needs to be clarified, but that probably won't happen anytime soon. The k-bar would be pretty hard to conceal, so as long as it's in plain view you have no worries, but since you have a concealed license, you can conceal any deadly weapon you wish in Ky.

DrakeZ07

If it is a local ordinance. But the KRS that we're discussing makes no mention of open carrying anything. We're talking about how it is illegal to conceal, without a permit, anything other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.

Edit: And what does it matter if it has a pink handle? Information like that isn't needed at all.

Oh, alright; was kinda skipping over the first page posts.

Also, dude, handle colour of anything makes a big difference, and totally counts. Would you harass someone with a pink handled knife or sidearm if you was a LEO? probably not :D

09jisaac

Oh, alright; was kinda skipping over the first page posts.

Also, dude, handle colour of anything makes a big difference, and totally counts. Would you harass someone with a pink handled knife or sidearm if you was a LEO? probably not :D

You're right, but I wouldn't harass anyone exercising their rights. So, once again, the color doesn't matter. I find it best to go with a black gun, as it is way less noticeable.

Wouldn't it just suck to be stabbed by a pink knife? That is almost like burning your food in an easy-bake oven.

DrakeZ07

You're right, but I wouldn't harass anyone exercising their rights. So, once again, the color doesn't matter. I find it best to go with a black gun, as it is way less noticeable.

Wouldn't it just suck to be stabbed by a pink knife? That is almost like burning your food in an easy-bake oven.

Would you prefer to be shot in self-defense by a Pink 'hello kitty' sidearm? (I found something to this extent, and I'm wondering if I should make a jab in the Social lounge, or our forum, concerning someone who wanted to go somewhere in our state for selfish reasons... ;3)

09jisaac

Would you prefer to be shot in self-defense by a Pink 'hello kitty' sidearm? (I found something to this extent, and I'm wondering if I should make a jab in the Social lounge, or our forum, concerning someone who wanted to go somewhere in our state for selfish reasons... ;3)

No I would prefer to never be shot or stabbed. Like I said, it doesn't really matter what color it is. It would be bad to be stabbed by a pink knife, none because of the color, all because it would be bad to be stabbed. I would probably rather be stabbed by a pink knife than a rusty spike though. Maybe that counts? One is pink, the other is rusty.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
No I would prefer to never be shot or stabbed. Like I said, it doesn't really matter what color it is. It would be bad to be stabbed by a pink knife, none because of the color, all because it would be bad to be stabbed. I would probably rather be stabbed by a pink knife than a rusty spike though. Maybe that counts? One is pink, the other is rusty.
Sounds like a rusty pink knife would be a downright nightmare... :lol:

DrakeZ07

Especially because I would probably be laughed at at the emergency room. They wouldn't even properly bandage it up, just put a hello kitty band-aid on it.

I got a box of Hello Kitty Band-aids, Gauze, and Gloves; Should I ever meet you in person, I'm going to give them to you.

I was thinking the pink knife thing to be you pointing it out as adding insult to injury, sorry xD

09jisaac

I got a box of Hello Kitty Band-aids, Gauze, and Gloves; Should I ever meet you in person, I'm going to give them to you.

I was thinking the pink knife thing to be you pointing it out as adding insult to injury, sorry xD

What would add insult to injury would be a little yellow smiley on the hilt.

yz9890

while KY doesn't define "ordinary pocket knife", there is legal precedent establishing that a lock-back 3" folder is not an ordinary pocket knife but is rather a deadly weapon.

Stout v Commonwealth 33 S.W.3d 531 (2000) held that a 3" locking folder is deadly weapon.

09jisaac

while KY doesn't define "ordinary pocket knife", there is legal precedent establishing that a lock-back 3" folder is not an ordinary pocket knife but is rather a deadly weapon.

Stout v Commonwealth 33 S.W.3d 531 (2000) held that a 3" locking folder is deadly weapon.

As mentioned in earlier posts the law was changed a year after. So it may not be a precedent.

yz9890

As mentioned in earlier posts the law was changed a year after. So it may not be a precedent.

I understand that but it should be understood that the absence of a definition for "ordinary pocket knife" in Kentucky will always be a potential problem for anyone not carrying their little folding pocket knife they got when they were a boy scout.

09jisaac

I understand that but it should be understood that the absence of a definition for "ordinary pocket knife" in Kentucky will always be a potential problem for anyone not carrying their little folding pocket knife they got when they were a boy scout.

They may can be hassled by LEO and even charged, but I doubt that it would be too hard to convince the jury that what you have in your pocket is an ordinary pocket knife, as long as it really is just a 3'' folder.

A838 Fox

I could hear the prosecuting attorney now, "that knife is made for killing, the marines carry that knife to cut the enmies throat, it certainly is a deadly weapon!". Haha. I would think it COULD be considered a hunting knife, and most judges in Ky would probably agree, but get to the bigger cities, and it could be labeled a deadly weapon. The statute really needs to be clarified, but that probably won't happen anytime soon. The k-bar would be pretty hard to conceal, so as long as it's in plain view you have no worries, but since you have a concealed license, you can conceal any deadly weapon you wish in Ky.

I know I am responding to an old thread but I wanted to throw in my $0.02 on this. It is true that the Ka-Bar was issued to Marines, and Marines are trained in hand-to-hand combat as well as knife fighting in order to defend themselves. However, the days in which using a bayonet or knife as a support weapon are over. Today, even in the civilian world, a firearm is the foremost form of self-defense or aggressive action, and a backup or secondary firearm is often held in reserve. A knife has, more or less, become a tool or a weapon of last resort, not a primary weapon of engagement. Furthermore the Ka-Bar is based off of a hunting knife, and while it is true that its blade length was extended to enhance its fighting capabilities, the seven inch blade length was chosen because it was a balance between utility and combat, rather than simply extending it further to 9+ inches which would have increased its combat effectiveness while making it awkwardly bulky/heavy and reducing its effectiveness as a utility knife.

Finally, a lot of people who are/were part of or have ties to the military, particularly the Marines, will carry a Ka-Bar knife when they are out hunting. It is a knife they are either used to and familiar with, or a knife they know they can trust due to it being carried for decades by military personnel. In short, you could definitely argue that a Ka-Bar is a hunting knife. However, because of just how vague the law is, the opposite could always be argued as well. It will depend on the LEO, judge, and jury I'm afraid.

09jisaac

Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread that you can shine light on, or have a question about.

But also there could be two ways to read the law.

500.080(4)(c)Says: Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife

It could be read as an ordinary (pocket knife/hunting knife)

or

A(n) (ordinary pocket knife/hunting knife)

If you get what I am meaning. So maybe you can even have a knife that wouldn't fall into an "ordinary hunting knife" but would fall into a "hunting knife" category and still be legal. It should depends on the individuals interpretation of the law.

Last edited: