• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky Knife Laws - Did You Know This?

neuroblades

At some point or other, we've all encountered this issue, "What knife is legal"?

Well, with a CDWL any knife is legally carried. But this is for the OC crowd.

This issue is one that I've always considered to be confusing to a slight extent because Kentucky law states that a Deadly Weapon means any of the following: Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.

Additionally, there is no length in Kentucky law for a knife yet Stout v Commonwealth 33 S.W.3d 531 (2000) held that a 3" locking folder is deadly weapon.

This tells me that there are A LOT of individuals out there that are carrying a concealed deadly weapon in their pockets and don't even know it!

SOURCE: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

UnfetteredMight

At some point or other, we've all encountered this issue, "What knife is legal"?

Well, with a CDWL any knife is legally carried. But this is for the OC crowd.

This issue is one that I've always considered to be confusing to a slight extent because Kentucky law states that a Deadly Weapon means any of the following: Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.

Additionally, there is no length in Kentucky law for a knife yet Stout v Commonwealth 33 S.W.3d 531 (2000) held that a 3" locking folder is deadly weapon.

This tells me that there are A LOT of individuals out there that are carrying a concealed deadly weapon in their pockets and don't even know it!

SOURCE: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

The law was amended the year after that case so no it is not. That case may have very well been why they amended the law the very next year. Picture our reps pulling pocketknives out thinking, "What?" lol

You should email that website and inform them of that fact.

500.080 Definitions for Kentucky Penal Code.
As used in the Kentucky Penal Code, unless the context otherwise requires:
(4) "Deadly weapon" means any of the following:
(c) Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife;
Effective: June 21, 2001
History: Amended 2001 Ky. Acts ch. 113, sec. 7, effective June 21, 2001. -- Amended
1992 Ky. Acts ch. 211, sec. 130, effective July 14, 1992. -- Amended 1990 Ky. Acts
ch. 282, sec. 1, effective July 13, 1990. -- Amended 1986 Ky. Acts ch. 331, sec. 56,
effective July 15, 1986. -- Amended 1978 Ky. Acts ch. 78, sec. 1, effective June 17,
1978. -- Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 8, effective January 1, 1975; and ch. 74,
Art. V, sec. 24(14)

Last edited:

UnfetteredMight

Yes, you are right. Even a common kitchen knife is, by statute, a deadly weapon, but a hunting knife isn't. I once asked an attorney why this was true. His answer was, "I guess the General Assembly has more members that are hunters than it has cooks." We've all heard this myth about the length of the blade being a factor. The statute say "ordinary pocket knife" is not a deadly weapon. The judge gets to decide what is ordinary. Don't forget, preemption only applies to firearms. There may be local laws on knives.

Lol, that's pretty good. It sucks too because I can't tell you the number of times I've had a kitchen knife in my car because I happen to be cutting some wire for a stereo install or a wiring repair and just forgot about it being in there. I carry a utility knife in my tool bag, which is always in the back and my car is a hatchback, so they would probably consider that "on or about my persons".

I would wager they made the distinction between kitchen and hunting knives because hunting knives are commonly found in a vehicle and kitchen knives wouldn't be. So they apply common sense logic instead of just logic.

I would also say that we all know what a pocket knife is, in my experience there are two common sizes, both of which I believe have blades longer than 3 inches. I guess one could only hope the judge would think the same thing.

Last edited:

aadvark

To ALL Interested Persons concerning Knive Regulation in This Thread:

Some States Regulate Knives in Reference as to whether or not They are Carried Openly or Concealed.

Other States Regulate Actual Blade Lengths, or how The Blade Opens when Used.

Meanwhile..., a Few States Regulate both.

aadvark

KYGlockster

Activist Member
As long as they r n the Open for everyone to c u can carry ne deadly weapon as long as there is no local ordinances banning doing so, if ur n ur vehicle u can carry ne deadly weapon in ur glove box and soon to be console as well and be within the law, local ordinances can't ban u from carrying in ur vehicle. O think they need to do away with our knife laws, and allow us to carry ne knife n our pockets BC who says wat an ordinary knife is? A judge, I believe that gives them to much authority to interpret the law the way they want and not enforce rulings based on them. We can carry em outside our pocket but not inside? Repugnant

KYGlockster

Activist Member
It wOuld all depend on the Leo that arrests u and the judge who judges u. Like I said they have to much leeway in that area, it needs to b changed. As long as u aren't doing nething illegal they have no reason to stop and search u Neways and if I was and Leo I wouldn't say nething about a knife u carry that could save someone Neways or ne other knife for that matter. Get ur ccw and u won't need to worry about it anymore.

neuroblades

As long as they r n the Open for everyone to c u can carry ne deadly weapon as long as there is no local ordinances banning doing so, if ur n ur vehicle u can carry ne deadly weapon in ur glove box and soon to be console as well and be within the law, local ordinances can't ban u from carrying in ur vehicle. O think they need to do away with our knife laws, and allow us to carry ne knife n our pockets BC who says wat an ordinary knife is? A judge, I believe that gives them to much authority to interpret the law the way they want and not enforce rulings based on them. We can carry em outside our pocket but not inside? Repugnant

Actually, this isn't completely true. There are some "deadly weapons" that are ONLY legal to carry with a CDWL such as batons, knuckles, and throwing stars. (KRS 500.080)

Last edited:

langzaiguy

@Neuro I don't get it, why can't one open carry those deadly weapons? The statute you listed, KRS 500.080, were just definitions. Did you mean to cite another law?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
actually neuro, you can only carry those concealed if u have a ccw. You can carry them in the open, just like a firearm, without one. A ccw just allows u to carry them concealed. as long as they are visible, you are fine.

Drew Everett

The law was amended the year after that case so no it is not. That case may have very well been why they amended the law the very next year. Picture our reps pulling pocketknives out thinking, "What?" lol You should email that website and inform them of that fact. 500.080 Definitions for Kentucky Penal Code. As used in the Kentucky Penal Code, unless the context otherwise requires: (4) "Deadly weapon" means any of the following: (c) Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife; Effective: June 21, 2001 History: Amended 2001 Ky. Acts ch. 113, sec. 7, effective June 21, 2001. -- Amended 1992 Ky. Acts ch. 211, sec. 130, effective July 14, 1992. -- Amended 1990 Ky. Acts ch. 282, sec. 1, effective July 13, 1990. -- Amended 1986 Ky. Acts ch. 331, sec. 56, effective July 15, 1986. -- Amended 1978 Ky. Acts ch. 78, sec. 1, effective June 17, 1978. -- Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 8, effective January 1, 1975; and ch. 74, Art. V, sec. 24(14)
so basically you are not providing any information that is valuable to this thread, thanks so much. oh im sorry, did that arbitrary amendment define a length for which is legal or illegal? or knife type for that matter?? no, the previous posts stands as correctly stating the law in kentucky is extremely vague. a #2 pencil is a deadly weapon if i put it in your neck, unsharpened. a pillow is too for that matter. you are literally surrounded by deadly weapons. dont go correcting me like you did the last guy if you dont have NUMBERS MAN, thats wtf we are all talking about here- we seek definition, not stupid *** retorts, like mine ;)

--Moderator Statement--
All are encouraged to give their opinion here, but should refrain from making insulting or demeaning remarks. In the final analysis, attitude means as much as content.

Drew Everett

pocket knives go in the pocket

pocket knives go in the pocket, boot knives go in the boot. a switchblade is a pocket knife when it's in your pocket, i mean who is going to carry around ANYTHING in their hand for that matter? my phone and wallet go in my pockets, bc i like to use my hands for other things than standing around holding stuff i want to have nearby. idiots. if a hunting knife is being looked over by the cops, you are most likely in a vehicle or barn, in which case you're not in a bar fight, so who gives a **** about that knife. if you are in a bar fight, or in public, and it is a self-defense situation, then who gives a **** about blade length, folding type, blah blah, bc clearly you own a knife for defense reasons, you're out at night, etc. ergo the judge has the final say. and rightfully so, blanket laws are for lazy, stupid people, and only cause more problems bc very very few ppl ever actually fall in to laws designed for the general offender.

The moral of the story is, if you are defending yourself then you will never have to worry* about going to court. If you are a ***** who goes around cutting people then it isnt going to matter if you are doing that with a piece of paper, you're ******. dont be an *******, and the language of the law becomes moot. gday!

langzaiguy

Perhaps this isn't the best first impression for yourself. You resurrect an old thread, only to nitpick, criticize what would normally be intelligent discourse of legal facets. It's ironic that such criticisms are made with poor grammar, spelling, punctuation--all laced with profanity. Maybe you should just find contentedness in lurking as we ask and answer appropriate, relevant topics.

09jisaac

pocket knives go in the pocket, boot knives go in the boot. a switchblade is a pocket knife when it's in your pocket, i mean who is going to carry around ANYTHING in their hand for that matter? my phone and wallet go in my pockets, bc i like to use my hands for other things than standing around holding stuff i want to have nearby. idiots. if a hunting knife is being looked over by the cops, you are most likely in a vehicle or barn, in which case you're not in a bar fight, so who gives a **** about that knife. if you are in a bar fight, or in public, and it is a self-defense situation, then who gives a **** about blade length, folding type, blah blah, bc clearly you own a knife for defense reasons, you're out at night, etc. ergo the judge has the final say. and rightfully so, blanket laws are for lazy, stupid people, and only cause more problems bc very very few ppl ever actually fall in to laws designed for the general offender.

The moral of the story is, if you are defending yourself then you will never have to worry* about going to court. If you are a ***** who goes around cutting people then it isnt going to matter if you are doing that with a piece of paper, you're ******. dont be an *******, and the language of the law becomes moot. gday!

Who does this guy think he is?

Very few of us are on this cite to nit pick the laws, we're here because, sometimes, LEO just LOOK for something to cite us on. I OCed at my local walmart plenty of times until one day I went in, bought dog food and promptly left. As I was carrying it in two sheriff cruisers pulled in to my driveway and they wanted soo badly to arrest me, if I would have been carrying my assisted opening knife I probably would have spent the night in johnson county. So your logic don't go too far with me.

Also, these guys here know more about guns/gun laws/AGO than you can find on Wikipedia in your life, so maybe you should treat them with a WHOLE lot more respect.

langzaiguy

Well said, 09jisaac. When it comes to the law, it's not a bad thing to "nit-pick". It could make the difference between being legal, or misdemeanor, or felony.

claytonh71

I have a 3 inch pocket knife, it has the side clip on it. If I only have the side clip showing on the outside of my pocket, would that still be legal, or do I have to have it the other way around? I know the clip may be called a belt clip or whatever, but I like my pocket knife to be in my pocket, not on my belt.

09jisaac

I have a 3 inch pocket knife, it has the side clip on it. If I only have the side clip showing on the outside of my pocket, would that still be legal, or do I have to have it the other way around? I know the clip may be called a belt clip or whatever, but I like my pocket knife to be in my pocket, not on my belt.

If it is an ordinary pocket knife then it don't matter. You can have it hidden wherever you want and still be within the KRS.

Visit the "Kentucky Gun laws" thread at the top for links to the law. You'll need both the links describing what you can carry concealed. The law is carrying concealed deadly weapon, not carrying a deadly weapon. The definition of a deadly weapon is there too.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99708-Kentucky-Gun-Laws

I think that you're safe if it is just an ordinary 3'' folding pocketknife. If it is spring opened or anything then you may want to get your CCDW to carry it.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
This is rather interesting. I kinda hate to admit this, but I never thought about carrying a knife in KY. When I was a kid visiting my grandparents in rural eastern KY for the summer I always had my cub/boyscout knife and once a teen I always had a sheath knife of some kind and often my daily carry pocket knife as well. I guess they could have been called ordinary hunting knives. Noone ever seemed to think twice about throwing on a jacket and covering up their knife. But that has all been at least a decade ago since my grandfather passed away...

Now when I visit the family "farm" I either have my leatherman or my K-bar for utility purposes, depending on what I am doing. I have a MO CCW so I guess I am ok regardless, but I guess what I am wondering since my K-bar is my do everything hunt/camp/fish/utility sheath knife, would it be an "ordinary hunting knife" under KRS? Just curious...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
This is rather interesting. I kinda hate to admit this, but I never thought about carrying a knife in KY. When I was a kid visiting my grandparents in rural eastern KY for the summer I always had my cub/boyscout knife and once a teen I always had a sheath knife of some kind and often my daily carry pocket knife as well. I guess they could have been called ordinary hunting knives. Noone ever seemed to think twice about throwing on a jacket and covering up their knife. But that has all been at least a decade ago since my grandfather passed away...

Now when I visit the family "farm" I either have my leatherman or my K-bar for utility purposes, depending on what I am doing. I have a MO CCW so I guess I am ok regardless, but I guess what I am wondering since my K-bar is my do everything hunt/camp/fish/utility sheath knife, would it be an "ordinary hunting knife" under KRS? Just curious...