• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky Knife Laws - Did You Know This?

A838 Fox

I was kind of curious as to which it means, and feared that it would be up to interpretation. My point however is that a Ka-Bar could be considered legal either way. I would not myself personally consider a Ka-Bar an "irregular" hunting knife since, as mentioned, there are likely to be many people carrying it due to the fact that it is issued in the Marines.

Of course another problem here would be the question of why you would be carrying a hunting knife if you weren't hunting. For example if you were stopped by a LEO and carrying a hunting knife of any size on your person, not including being in a vehicle, and had not purchased a hunting license or there was nothing in season, it would be cause for suspicion. At which point it would be up to the LEO to decide if you were carrying for self-protection or other potential necessity, or for more malignant reasons. Of course, in that case a Ka-Bar, which is well known as a Marine combat knife, would be a little more suspicious than say a Cold Steel Master Hunter (happens to be the closest fixed blade to me). If for no other reason than blade length.

The real concern here to me is ultimately what is an "ordinary" pocket knife? Could it be any pocket knife that's not an auto (or assisted) opening knife? Any knife that doesn't have a locking blade? Knife of a certain blade length? It's so vague that it could (would) vary from one officer to another. It's frustrating really just how vague the law is. Around where I live most of the local LEOs probably wouldn't blink an eye if you were carrying something like a Ka-Bar or pocket knife - as long as it isn't something extra large like the Espada XL, that might be a cause for a double-take but they'd probably let it slide. States on the other hand have been a little less lenient/more suspicious than the locals, at least around here.

09jisaac

If it eases your mind the law is "carrying a concealed deadly weapon", not "carrying a deadly weapon".

Also, a lot of us don't need a license to hunt in Kentucky and coyote season is year around. So I don't think you need a valid hunting license to carry a hunting knife.

http://fw.ky.gov/nolic.asp

Scookkay

Can I wear a sheathed Winchester 4.5 if alcohol is being served?

If it eases your mind the law is "carrying a concealed deadly weapon", not "carrying a deadly weapon".

Also, a lot of us don't need a license to hunt in Kentucky and coyote season is year around. So I don't think you need a valid hunting license to carry a hunting knife.

http://fw.ky.gov/nolic.asp

Hello. I'm going to on outdoor concert in Eminence, KY & need to know if I could be charged for wearing a sheathed 4.5 fixed blade on my brlt. There is alcohol sales at this event. I'm female & taking a female that's been a victim of violence.

DrakeZ07

Hello. I'm going to on outdoor concert in Eminence, KY & need to know if I could be charged for wearing a sheathed 4.5 fixed blade on my brlt. There is alcohol sales at this event. I'm female & taking a female that's been a victim of violence.

Just OC a pistol. It's easier, a protected right, and you don't have to worry about local ordinance against it. Show your friend that you're there by her side, standing strong with her, and you're prepared to defend yourself, and prepared to stop someone from trying to hurt you, and/or her. Just because she's a victim of a past violence, doesn't mean you should cower from using your rights. She needs to know that as a victim, you don't shy away from the means of making yourself a victim no longer. Instead of making herself an even bigger victim.

Besides, from a legal stand-point, you can carry a sidearm/long-arm, Openly carried, at more places than you can carry a knife, or concealed weapon. And if this event is at a place that is owned by a county, city, or urban-county government, or the state, or a public or quasi-public corporation, then you don't have to worry about if you can or cannot carry a pistol, and where you can and where you cant, as long as its not a school, or court of justice, or prison then you're good!

But as far as the knife thing goes, check your local laws, and check with state law, and check if the event is privately owned and privately ran and on private lands, first.

09jisaac

As was mentioned, the State preempts all firearm regulation. Knifes and other "weapons" may be regulated on a state level. Usually they are not regulated outside of government buildings though. Check local ordinances to make sure.

The law we were discussing was Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon. If the tool in question is plainly visible or you have a CDWL then this will not apply.

The problem is though that most concerts of this nature usually have security at the gate that will stop someone from carrying a "weapon" onto the grounds. I have had to take pocket knifes back to my truck because things like this.

If your knife is a hunting knife or you have a CDWL and if the venue does not have metal detectors (usually the wand type) then it would probably be best to carry the knife concealed.

Swords, knives, and any length blades Lexington Kentucky

I called the Lexington Kentucky city police depts non emergency number 859 285 3600
About carry a sword in public. The police dept response was it is legal to carry a sword in public as long as you follow the open carrying law for a firearm. So who ra to the 2nd and 1st amendments (the 1st admend. Protects your right to carry a weapon if it's a matter of personal religion) I.E samurai's sword is concetered to be extention of the samurai's soul or any other item of faith.

chrsjhnsn

I live in NV but have often considered moving to Kentucky

I was wondering if your law addresses nunchucks?
I do not really carry them for self defense but I like to work out with them - I would carry as a less then lethal weapon because I am pretty good with them but IDK if any state allows that - thanks

SovereigntyOrDeath

History repeats itself in Kentucky. Interesting that y'all are still having to question what kind of knife you can carry.

Did your Constitution get amended or usurped?

"1822: Bliss v. Commonwealth Brings ‘Individual Right’ Into Question

The Second Amendment’s intent for individual Americans first came into question in 1822, in Bliss v. Commonwealth. The court case arose in Kentucky after a man was indicted for carrying a sword concealed in a cane. He was convicted and fined $100.

Bliss appealed the conviction, citing a provision in the Commonwealth’s constitution that states: “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state, shall not be questioned.”

In a majority vote with just one judge dissenting, the court overturned the conviction against Bliss and ruled the law unconstitutional and void."

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Second-Amendment-History.htm

Last edited:

SovereigntyOrDeath

Yes, he is. Hunting knives are not deadly weapons in Ky. KRS 500.080 lists deadly weapons and subsection 4 (c) says a deadly weapon can be....., "Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife;"

In cases where knives are deadly weapons, OCing a knife is no different than any of the other deadly weapons. You can not conceal one unless you have a CCDW license. The thing you need to watch out for is local laws. There is no preemption of local regulation of knives. There is a bill in Frankfort this year to do just that; it is SB 146. It has been there for the last two years and gone nowhere.

So, was Bliss v. Commonwealth overturned? I can not find that it was.

Last edited:

SovereigntyOrDeath

You won't find it. It has never been overturned. Bliss was exonerated because the law he was found guilty of violating, carrying a concealed weapon, was found to be a violation of the state constitution.

Ky. has had four constitutions since statehood in 1792. The original, the second in 1799 (this is the one that saved Mr. Bliss), the third in 1850 and the current constitution adopted in 1891, 69 years after Bliss.

This final constitution allowed the General Assembly to pass laws to prohibit concealed weapons. This change was due to a long standing argument between two state senators, that culminated with one of the senators killing the other on the floor of the state senate with a sword cane. The same type weapon that Bliss carried. The General Assembly wasted no time in exercising this new authority and outlawed all concealed weapons that same year. Concealed weapons remain illegal in Ky to this day unless you obtain a Concealed Deadly Weapons License. Those licenses were authorized by the General Assembly in 1996.

For 105 years concealed weapons were illegal for all but a few in Ky. This long history of prohibiting concealed weapons firmly cemented the legitimacy of open carry in Ky. law and the minds of the citizenry. OC was the constitutional way to carry a gun. It was not questioned. Concealed carry licenses clouded the issue and younger, less informed individuals who get their education from TV and the movies (including some LEO's and elected officials), are not as familiar with OC as our older population.

Wow! Thank you for the history lesson. Amazing story! it's a shame the action of one man ruined it for everyone.

SovereigntyOrDeath

Well, maybe. Our constitution was modeled after the constitution of Pennsylvania, because a major portion of the settlers of Ky. came from that state. Our first three constitutions said, "the right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state, shall not be questioned." This was copied word for word from the Pa. constitution.

In the 1891 constitution, the words "shall not be questioned" were replaced in the Ky. constitution with "subject to power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons." That may seem like a major change, and it was, but the original language has remained unchanged in the Pennsylvania constitution up to today and their gun laws are much more restrictive than Ky.'s. Retaining that original language did not prevent the erosion of the right. It could have happened that way here, too. I think it was going to happen one way or the other. Just a different route to the same destination.

Amazing turn of events. Again the history lesson is much appreciated. I love history.

I just can not comprehend the blatant disregard for the 2nd Amendment.

I was wondering if your law addresses nunchucks?
I do not really carry them for self defense but I like to work out with them - I would carry as a less then lethal weapon because I am pretty good with them but IDK if any state allows that - thanks

Yea in Fayette county kentucky nunchucks are consider deadly weapon and can be carried the same as open carry for a gun, with that being said I wouldn't twril them in public as that could be considered unlawful brandishing of a deadly weapon.

Last edited: