• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't Tred on Me license plate

mspgunner

This just passed the Misosuri House;
FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 307
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY

INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES GATSCHENBERGER (Sponsor), MOLENDORP, LONG, FISHER, BAHR, DAVIS, JONES (117) AND RICHARDSON (Co-sponsors).

0627L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk

AN ACT

To amend chapter 301, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to a special license plate.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:

Section A. Chapter 301, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 301.4035, to read as follows:

301.4035. Any person may apply for special "Don't Tread on Me" motor vehicle license plates for any vehicle such person owns, either solely or jointly, other than an apportioned motor vehicle or a commercial motor vehicle licensed in excess of eighteen thousand pounds gross weight. Such person shall make application for the special license plates on a form provided by the director of revenue. The director shall then issue license plates bearing letters or numbers or a combination thereof as determined by the advisory committee established in section 301.129, with the words "DON'T TREAD ON ME" in place of the words "SHOW-ME STATE". Such license plates shall be made with fully reflective material with a common color scheme and design, shall be clearly visible at night, and shall be aesthetically attractive, as prescribed by section 301.130.

mspgunner

i think my man part just got a little excited...
Here is how the vote went:
103 Republicans and 30 Democrats voted - YES.
All 18 NO votes were Democrat.

3 Republicans and 8 Democrats absent.

AYES: 133
Allen (R) Asbury (R) Atkins (D) Aull (D) Bahr (R) Barnes (R) Bernskoetter (R) Berry (R) Black (D) Brandom (R) Brattin (R) Brown 85 (R) Brown 116 (R) Burlison (R) Carlson (D) Carter (D) Casey (D) Cauthorn (R) Cierpiot (R) Conway 14 (R) Conway 27 (D) Cookson (R) Cox (R) Crawford (R) Cross (R)
Curtman (R) Davis (R) Denison (R) Dieckhaus (R) Dugger (R) Ellinger (D) Elmer (R) Entlicher (R) Fallert (D) Fisher (R) Fitzwater (R) Flanigan (R) Fraker (R) Franklin (R) Franz (R) Frederick (R) Fuhr (R) Funderburk (R) Gatschenberger (R) Gosen (R) Grisamore (R) Guernsey (R) Haefner (R) Hampton (R) Harris (D) Higdon (R) Hinson (R) Holsman (D) Hoskins (R) Hough (R) Houghton (R) Hummel (D) Johnson (R) Jones 89 (R) Jones 117 (R) Keeney (R) Kelley 126 (R) Kelly 24 (D) Kirkton (D) Klippenstein (R) Koenig (R) Korman (R) Kratky (D) Lair (R) Lampe (D) Lant (R) Largent (R) Lasater (R) Lauer (R) Leach (R) Leara (R) Lichtenegger (R) Loehner (R) Long (R) Marshall (R) McCaherty (R) McGhee (R) McManus (D) McNary (R) McNeil (D) Meadows (D) Molendorp (R) Nance (R) Neth (R) Newman (D) Nolte (R) Oxford (D) Parkinson (R) Peters-Baker (D) Phillips (R) Pollock (R) Quinn (D) Redmon (R) Reiboldt (R) Richardson (R) Riddle (R) Rizzo (D) Rowland (R) Ruzicka (R) Sater (R) Schad (R) Scharnhorst (R) Schatz (R) Schieber (R) Schieffer (D) Schneider (R) Schoeller (R) Schupp (D) Shively (D) Shumake (R) Silvey (R) Smith 150 (R) Solon (R) Stream (R) Swearingen (D) Swinger (D) Talboy (D) Thomson (R) Torpey (R) Wallingford (R) Wells (R) Weter (R) White (R) Wieland (R) Wright (R) Wyatt (R) Zerr (R) Mr Speaker (R)

NOES: 018
Anders (D)
Hodges (D)
Hughes (D)
Jones 63 (D)
Kander (D)
McCann Beatty (D)
McDonald (D)
Montecillo (D)
Nasheed (D)
Nichols (D)
Pierson (D)
Sifton (D)
Smith 71 (D)
Spreng (D)
Still (D)
Taylor (D)
Walton Gray (D)
Webb (D)

ABSENT WITH LEAVE: 011
Brown 50 (D)
Colona (D)
Day (R)
Diehl (R)
Faith (R)
Hubbard (D)
May (D)
McGeoghegan (D)
Pace (D)
Webber (D)
Zimmerman (D)

The plate won't be available anytime soon. It has to go through the senate process, I fully expect it to pass. Then be signed by the Governor, probably will? Then the law won't go into effect till the end of September I believe it is.

August 28, 2011. What state are your politicians from anyway?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I have not gotten past how miffed I am yet.

I find it hard to "celebrate" this knowing they are going to sit on their asses and let hb841 die.

I would rather have a "show me" plate and have the SOB's SHOW ME they are for the PEOPLES RIGHTS!

cash50

I wouldn't want one. The "Tea Party", for the most part, is just a bunch of Republicans whining about this and that. They (like Republicans and Democrats) don't truly care about the Constitution and people's rights. They just pretend they do to get votes.

mspgunner

I wouldn't want one. The "Tea Party", for the most part, is just a bunch of Republicans whining about this and that. They (like Republicans and Democrats) don't truly care about the Constitution and people's rights. They just pretend they do to get votes.

The "Tea Party" and the "Don't Tred on Me" phrase are not one in the same! Don't tred on me was here long long before the "Tea Party". here is the "story".
[edit] Gadsden's flag
Gadsden's flag in an 1885 school bookIn fall 1775, the United States Navy was established to intercept incoming British ships carrying war supplies to the British troops in the colonies. To aid in this, the Second Continental Congress authorized the mustering of five companies of Marines to accompany the Navy on their first mission. The first Marines that enlisted were from Philadelphia and they carried drums painted yellow, depicting a coiled rattlesnake with thirteen rattles, and the motto "Don't Tread On Me." This is the first recorded mention of the future Gadsden flag's symbolism.

At the Congress, Continental Colonel Christopher Gadsden represented his home state of South Carolina. He was one of seven members of the Marine Committee who were outfitting the first naval mission.[4]

Before the departure of that first mission in December 1775, the newly appointed commander-in-chief of the Navy, Commodore Esek Hopkins, received the yellow rattlesnake flag from Gadsden to serve as the distinctive personal standard of his flagship. It was displayed at the mainmast.[4]

Gadsden also presented a copy of this flag to the Congress of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina in 1776. This was recorded in the South Carolina congressional journals:

Col. Gadsden presented to the Congress an elegant standard, such as is to be used by the commander in chief of the American navy; being a yellow field, with a lively representation of a rattle-snake in the middle in the attitude of going to strike and these words underneath, "Don't Tread on Me!"[5]

cash50

Yes I know they are not directly related. But almost everyone relates "don't tread on me" on a t-shirt or car to the Tea Party.

peterarthur

Completely incorrect, sir. The Tea Party is typically registered Republican voters that go out and ACT on their unhappiness with the government and change elections like this last one that was swept by the Republicans. Sure, I am not a huge fan of many Republican candidates, but sometimes it IS the lesser of two evils.

The Tea Party people are the ones who actually considering action against an increasingly tyrannical government and if you spent any time at the rallies, you should be aware of this. I was quite shocked to hear the vigor of their potential intentions if this last election had not begun to turn this mess around... and I mean begin to turn. Still heading the wrong way but it feels like we may be turning... Government shutdown tonight????? :D

kylemoul

why are we relating this to government and not looking at the plate as it says?

dont tread on me- can stand for alot of things i guess...
i look at it as dont tread on my rights, my home, my car, my property.

but everyone is different!

MK

I kind of feel the same way as you do in a general sense but as a person with strong Libertarian leanings, I will be getting this plate if and when its available. I am actually surprised to see a dominant show of support for this phrase by those in office who regularly spit all over it. It would be wonderful to see the State make a 180 and finally start to respect what I feel should be our rights to much more expanded freedom in regards to our bodies, minds, speech, property and financial assets and income. As long as we aren't putting other people in harm's way, we should be free to toke a joint, drink at 18, purchase the services of a prostitue and gamble in fair games of chance on the internet or in person.

cash50

Completely incorrect, sir. The Tea Party is typically registered Republican voters that go out and ACT on their unhappiness with the government and change elections like this last one that was swept by the Republicans. Sure, I am not a huge fan of many Republican candidates, but sometimes it IS the lesser of two evils.

The Tea Party people are the ones who actually considering action against an increasingly tyrannical government and if you spent any time at the rallies, you should be aware of this. I was quite shocked to hear the vigor of their potential intentions if this last election had not begun to turn this mess around... and I mean begin to turn. Still heading the wrong way but it feels like we may be turning... Government shutdown tonight????? :D

NOT completely incorrect. Look who spoke at Tea Party rallies: Peter Kinder - REPUBLICAN- Dana Loesch - REPUBLICAN-. Michelle Bachman tries to act like she gets it, but she is just another political whore, forever in debt to lobbyists. The Tea Party in concept is a good idea, but the politicians supporting it -and being supported by it- are often just Republicans.

The Republicans are the lesser of the two evils? I guess that just depends on where you sit.

Most of the people "ACT-ing" are Republicans too. They care about the part(s) of tyrannical government affecting them (which I understand), and don't care about much else.