• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home invasion plans

Trigger Dr

Although I open carry inside my house, the possibility does exist where I could be "capured".
Some suggestions for easily accesible gun locations. I would suggest these in the front rooms as that will probably be the first place of encounter.
1. Under the center of the couch, easy chair, etc. on the floor but far enough under that not seen easily.
If knocked down gun is easily reached.
2. secured under dining table or coffee table.
3. placed in planter with plastic ornamental plants.

Any other ideas?

Deleted_User

slightly OT

I can reload in ANY room of my house. I also have guns in multiple rooms. Pillow cases are your friend

sudden valley gunner

I have designed a rough draft and made a rough version of a free hanging shelf that has a secret compartment inside. The one I made it opens on top my next one and better looking one will have a hidden button and a bottom that falls open.

This way you can hide hand guns in any wall that has room for a small decorative shelf.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Having been the victom of an attempted home invasion the only thing that really works is to have a firearm on you. The other lesson I learned was one 6 round mag in the gun is not enough keep a spare and keep a spare gun readily accesable in each room. I was comfortable with a .380 until TSHTF now I am a big fan of 10mm, .45, 357, 12 gauge #4 buck etc there is no substitute for firepower. I never ever only have the mag that is in my firearm most of the time I have 2 spare mags.

I did not have to shoot, I got lucky the cops showed just before the door gave in but just barely. OH yeah strong doors are a good thing.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Having been the victom of an attempted home invasion the only thing that really works is to have a firearm on you. The other lesson I learned was one 6 round mag in the gun is not enough keep a spare and keep a spare gun readily accesable in each room. I was comfortable with a .380 until TSHTF now I am a big fan of 10mm, .45, 357, 12 gauge #4 buck etc there is no substitute for firepower. I never ever only have the mag that is in my firearm most of the time I have 2 spare mags.

I did not have to shoot, I got lucky the cops showed just before the door gave in but just barely. OH yeah strong doors are a good thing.

Glad everything turned out OK.

And yes Strong doors are essential and there are very simple things you can do to make them stronger too if you are unsure about your door. 1/4 dowel can work wonders on the hinge side, and replacing at least one small screw in each hinge (also make sure your dead bolt and latch have them) with 4" screws that go into the framing.

amzbrady

Although I open carry inside my house, the possibility does exist where I could be "capured".
Some suggestions for easily accesible gun locations. I would suggest these in the front rooms as that will probably be the first place of encounter.
1. Under the center of the couch, easy chair, etc. on the floor but far enough under that not seen easily.
If knocked down gun is easily reached.
2. secured under dining table or coffee table.
3. placed in planter with plastic ornamental plants.

Any other ideas?

Search results

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search "capured"
Did you mean: captured :lol:

I still have children in the house and my daughter has her friends over. If I dont have my firearm on me, then I have it locked up. When I can afford it, I do want to purchase a biometric safe for quicker access in the dark.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Search results

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search "capured"
Did you mean: captured :lol:

I still have childen in the house and my daughter has her friends over. If I dont have my firearm on me, then I have it locked up. When I can afford it, I do want to purchase a biometric safe for quicker access in the dark.

If you are sleeping and it is close to you in your room why have the safe?

I am thinking of getting one for my other half though she isn't so comfortable not having hers contained. And I am not that comfortable with her not having quick access to hers.

amzbrady

If you are sleeping and it is close to you in your room why have the safe?

I am thinking of getting one for my other half though she isn't so comfortable not having hers contained. And I am not that comfortable with her not having quick access to hers.

I have it in my safe because of evils, my wife has to fight from within.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

If you do stash guns around the house, remember the potential problems if there are ever kids around. They're good at finding stuff. Not in that habit myself, but I never thought I'd have kids in the house either till a friend's were running all over the place for the last few weeks.

In my case, NO ONE ever comes to my house unannounced. If I hear a knock/shuffling/etc when I'm not expecting someone, I either go for the handgun in the bedroom or the rifle in the safe, depending on where I am in the house. Nice thing about long gravel driveways is it's real hard to sneak up on a place :D

1911er

home security

Not only do I carry my .45 and two extra mags till I go to bed. But I also have A model 500 mossberg with extended mag tube and pistol grip next to bed. The paper holder in the bathroom is on a swivel panel that holds A makarov . And attached under my desk in the office I have a Bakail side by side 12 gauge coach gun pointed at the door.

Trigger Dr

Metalhead47 wrote ...If you do stash guns around the house, remember the potential problems if there are ever kids around. They're good at finding stuff. Not in that habit myself, but I never thought I'd have kids in the house either till a friend's were running all over the place for the last few weeks.

You are correct. I find it difficult to think about children being around as my youngest grandchild is 16, a gifted young lady going on 35. Very mature for her age.

Metalhead47

Metalhead47 wrote ...If you do stash guns around the house, remember the potential problems if there are ever kids around. They're good at finding stuff. Not in that habit myself, but I never thought I'd have kids in the house either till a friend's were running all over the place for the last few weeks.

You are correct. I find it difficult to think about children being around as my youngest grandchild is 16, a gifted young lady going on 35. Very mature for her age.

So did I... until the 3 anklebiter's of my wife's friend ended up running around here most weekends while she helped her out... point being, even if you think you'll NEVER EVER EVER have kids, or already have & gone, they have a nasty habit of finding a way in :p

Trigger Dr

So did I... until the 3 anklebiter's of my wife's friend ended up running around here most weekends while she helped her out... point being, even if you think you'll NEVER EVER EVER have kids, or already have & gone, they have a nasty habit of finding a way in :p

With the wife in her 60's and I in the 70's, those chances are very small at best.

amlevin

Glad everything turned out OK.

And yes Strong doors are essential and there are very simple things you can do to make them stronger too if you are unsure about your door. 1/4 dowel can work wonders on the hinge side, and replacing at least one small screw in each hinge (also make sure your dead bolt and latch have them) with 4" screws that go into the framing.

Good tips on the FRONT door. Everyone seems to put all their money into fortifying the front door and then leaves the $5.95 door knob/lock on the back door that has lots of glass in it. What about that Patio Door that breaks into a million pieces when poked with a simple center punch and has a lock that is about as strong as a suitcase latch?

Don't forget to provide adequate security on ALL doors. If that's done, there will be some time to respond to a home invasion. That is of course, providing that you don't just swing the front door open without checking to see who's there first.

As for hiding guns all over the house, the chances are that you will be in that ONE place that you didn't stash one when you need it.

Reinforce your "perimeter" and have a "safe room" with weapons and phone to retreat to is probably the best plan.

Bobarino

I've been considering one of these:

octogon-gun-clock-open.JPG

They make a freestanding one for the mantle of whatever also.

ZAP-292.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

If you do stash guns around the house, remember the potential problems if there are ever kids around. They're good at finding stuff. Not in that habit myself, but I never thought I'd have kids in the house either till a friend's were running all over the place for the last few weeks.

In my case, NO ONE ever comes to my house unannounced. If I hear a knock/shuffling/etc when I'm not expecting someone, I either go for the handgun in the bedroom or the rifle in the safe, depending on where I am in the house. Nice thing about long gravel driveways is it's real hard to sneak up on a place :D

I also have a long gravel driveway, your correct that it is great. Dogs work rather well too. When the grandkids come over weapons are secured, when adults come over most weapons are secured depanding on who they are for example when Deros & M1Gnr comes over I dont secure anything.