• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home invasion plans

Trigger Dr

With the wife in her 60's and I in the 70's, those chances are very small at best.

I should add...my friends that visit do not have small children. My friends with small children do not visit because they live a long way off, thankfully. (due to the chldren)

hermannr

Living where we rarely ever lock the door (only when we are going to be gone for more than a day, we do live 20 miles out of a small town) and having 13 grandchildren (from 1 to 21) that may show up at any time, I guess We are a bit looser than you all.

First line of defence is a Doberman named Grette and a 1/2 mile long driveway.

second...

12 ga riotgun and .22 rifle upstairs. Prefered load is #2 bird shot (lead goose loads, can't use them for anything else any more, back up is slugs). Downstairs, two handguns of different calibers, one auto, one wheel, and my varment rifle with 100 grain hollow points @ 3800fpm. The rifle may be slow to bring to ready, but it really packs a punch.

Never had to move them...yet...except to target practice or go hunting. All weapons are secured above the ankle biter reach level. All others have been trained...you want to shoot grandma and grandpa's guns...Ok, we can do that, but it will be done in a safe and organized manner with grandma or grandpa present. Otherwise, you do not touch.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Split Level

My house is a split level, you have to come up a flight of stairs from the front door. At the top of my stairs I've hung an old drop leg on the rails that hold my BUG and my full size is on my knight stand. My kids are 13 and 16, they know how to clear a gun. They are so used to my guns they could care less about them anymore. They know they are real and not a toy to be played with.

Also watch the Outdoor Channel Wed nights. You might find replay of the Best Defense episode where they show how to reinforce the doors in your house.

Last edited:

Vitaeus

On the subject of children and methods to have the firearm available, but reasonably safe.

www.safetybullet.com

Wife and I are using this item to make the gun usable for self defense, we have small children in the home and they are not able to rack the slide, so it will allow the gun to be available. The trick we are having to train is to rack the slide as part of our range time and we will have to discuss it with the range we use, they may frown on a loose round. This is less time than fumbling in the dark with a gun safe or lock box, in our opinion.

Trigger Dr

looks like a good thing, but.....not for me. The last thing I want is for my handgun to be disabled because I had a brain freeze at a critical time. Yeah, I know train, train.

DevinWKuska

Ya know... not too long ago(ok wife moved in.... yeah been about 3 years ago) I use to have a wheel gun in the bathroom on the window mantle in the shower in a 1gallon ziplock(so I could fire it and still keep it dry). Partially so i could stay armed anywhere... Partially because I have seen too many bad horror movies where the blonde gets it in the shower :cuss:

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I, too, keep it on my hip at home. I also have weapons hidden in every room of the house. This said, having weapons available and being able to utilize them are not always the same. Have you "walked your house"? Where are you in the evening when you relax and where will the threat come from? I have gone thru the motions of a room to room exchange just so I will not be surprised. No situation will be the same, but most home invasions come either front door or back door. My pistol will get me to the shotgun.

ApacheBunny

land mines under the floor boards! kind of defeats the purpose of a safe home, but at least no one would wanna come into your home.

Anyways back onto the subject, I carry in the house as well as outside, have a katana (hope to never use that) at my bed side, few knives at my computer table, and all the doors are heavy, probably the only way to break in would be through the me and my wifes bedroom, or my grandmas bedroom and she keeps a .22 revolver on her bed side.

So when it comes down to it anyone who breaks into our house when we are home and awake is gonna have a really bad day, amputation or gunshot. Man I sound like a mall ninja.

fatalhubris

Ok ill play,
we are assuming a “hot burglary” right?

Currently unarmed, 38, 22, and the 380 are unloaded.
(We’re just getting back from the range, diner & movie)
45’s on the nightstand next to the 12 gauge in the bedroom. Approximately 12 feet away
And there are half a dozen swords in easy reach along with a couple hand axes’ as well as a spear (the roommate and I are both SCA geeks)

The sig is behind me on the couch currently snoring.

Roommate is sleeping in his room down the hall.

Front door is mettle and reasonably secure. Back door is an issue however, its one of those big old glass slider’s.
So assuming they come through the front it’s going to take a couple min worth of kicking. The back, were talking seconds.

Either way I’m grabing whatever is handy, whaling hell & yelling my head off for the r/m to get the shotgun.
Not much of a plan, but it’s what I have of the top of my head at 2 in the morning.

Random ideas for rat holing

Velcro, you can buy a huge roll of it at any DIY store. The possibilities are limited to your imagination. Also it’s relatively easy to remove, a little lighter fluid a razor blade & you’re done.

Zip ties, take a couple and one of those uncle mikes nylon holsters. Find a cheap bookcase with that crappy laminated backing, drill a couple strategic holes run the ties through the holes and secure them to the holster put some books in front of the holes and leave enough room between the wall and the shelf to stick your hand in and pull.

that’s all I have for now

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I still have children in the house and my daughter has her friends over. If I dont have my firearm on me, then I have it locked up. When I can afford it, I do want to purchase a biometric safe for quicker access in the dark.

My original gun safe is a traditional dial combination lock, and is kept elsewhere in the house.When I bought my second safe I put it in the Master Closet so my wife and son would have an armed "safe room" when I am not home. My wife is not so enthused about keeping a loaded gun by the nightstand, so I opted for the Biometric lock to make it easy and quick for her to get into the safe in the dark.

Personally, I am not so enthused with the Biometric lock. I have a very difficult time getting into it. Unless my finger is positioned EXACTLY in the spot where it was when I programmed it the first time, it can take multiple cycles to recognize my print. Getting it into that position can be difficult, and I am not confident I could do it under duress.

Myself, I am armed in the house a lot, or have it handy by the front entrance and on my nightstand at night. So getting into it in a hurry is less of an issue.

As a counterpoint, my wife does not seem to have the problems I am having. When getting my OR permit, the Sheriffs computer had nearly an impossible time registering my fingerprints, and he commented that i will never need to wear gloves if I ever "pull a job". So the problem could very well be mine. BUT, I still can't rely on it myself if I ever need to get in quickly.

So take a good look at the system and consider how long it would take to push a pattern of numerical buttons vs how long to identify a fingerprint.

Not trying to discourage you, just pointing out some real world experiences with the system that I have had with mine for your consideration.

Cheers.

Last edited:

amlevin

My original gun safe is a traditional dial combination lock, and is kept elsewhere in the house.When I bought my second safe I put it in the Master Closet so my wife and son would have an armed "safe room" when I am not home. My wife is not so enthused about keeping a loaded gun by the nightstand, so I opted for the Biometric lock to make it easy and quick for her to get into the safe in the dark.

Personally, I am not so enthused with the Biometric lock. I have a very difficult time getting into it. Unless my finger is positioned EXACTLY in the spot where it was when I programmed it the first time, it can take multiple cycles to recognize my print. Getting it into that position can be difficult, and I am not confident I could do it under duress.

Myself, I am armed in the house a lot, or have it handy by the front entrance and on my nightstand at night. So getting into it in a hurry is less of an issue.

As a counterpoint, my wife does not seem to have the problems I am having. When getting my OR permit, the Sheriffs computer had nearly an impossible time registering my fingerprints, and he commented that i will never need to wear gloves if I ever "pull a job". So the problem could very well be mine. BUT, I still can't rely on it myself if I ever need to get in quickly.

So take a good look at the system and consider how long it would take to push a pattern of numerical buttons vs how long to identify a fingerprint.

Not trying to discourage you, just pointing out some real world experiences with the system that I have had with mine for your consideration.

Cheers.

All electronic locks are neat, sexy, and attractive to lots of people but one question, "What do you do when the battery goes dead". Sure there are "backups" but they also take time. I would never want to rely on a firearm that is secured in a safe for my immediate protection. To me, safes are merely a means to secure your weapons when you aren't carrying them or are are away from home and have to leave them behind.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Personally, I agree with you.

My preference would have been to have an old fashioned dial combination on this safe too. But in 15 years, I've not been able to convince my wife to carry a gun or go to the range with me to shoot regularly.

I needed another safe. The biometric lock, a shotgun inside the door of the safe, and the ability to retreat to the Master Bath/Closet are the best I've been able to come up with.

Badger Johnson

Good thread.
In and around the house strategy:
1. I carry my HG on me, one in the chamber when not in bed. Partner does the same but might not carry in the house 24/7 like I do;

2. When I get up in the morning, I go out to the living room then the kitchen then the bathroom in the front of the house (the 'guest bathroom' is mine). I used to bring my KT .380 with me, but now, I have a HG in the bathroom in a small wooden organizer with a handle, lightly wrapped in an open top plastic bag. I lock the door when I shower. With this regime, I don't need to carry from the bedroom but I usually do;

3. Second floor has one in the desk area;

4. We're careful not to leave HGs lying on the foyer table (sometimes my partner puts her HG on the table when she comes in from the range. I usually move it to her room);

5. When we leave the house any guns not hidden are put in the small safe, handle latched and the tubular key is engaged but the dial is not spun. The key is on my key chain;

6. HG in the bedroom is hidden in a magnetic "book" - so nothing in plain sight but immediately accessible. We're planning on putting one under the dining room table with a magnetic holder, but haven't found one locally, yet.

We have other 'layers' of protection in addition (alarms, locked interior doors, etc.) The idea is to slow the BG down enough so we have time to assume a defensive position and arm ourselves.

As far as the windows, 3M company has a wrap that's strong enough to resist a brick that you can put on your windows - it's a transparent sticky film. (see their website)

Last edited:

amlevin

Personally, I agree with you.

My preference would have been to have an old fashioned dial combination on this safe too. But in 15 years, I've not been able to convince my wife to carry a gun or go to the range with me to shoot regularly.

I needed another safe. The biometric lock, a shotgun inside the door of the safe, and the ability to retreat to the Master Bath/Closet are the best I've been able to come up with.

Why not a safe with a key lock override? I have an electronic safe with four finger pads. It also has a tubular key override. Rather than the "biometric" feature and the resulting reliance on a battery, your wife could carry the key around her neck on a chain. I hate batteries on or in a "Must Happen" device. Murphy's law says that one time that it absolutely must, positively, with out delay, operate, as the British would say, "The fecking battery is dead".

BTW, same for relying on Cell Phones in a disaster. Not only do batteries go dead but the network goes down too. They then become as usefull as a game-boy.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

One tendency we have is to leave HG stuff lying about. If someone comes in the house to do repairs or put in a toilet, I don't want them seeing magazines, empty mags, cases, so I sweep the house for those and put them away. Likewise, when we go out for an over-nighter, I'll stow all the gear. (no kids)

In addition, the last thing you want is a HG lying out holstered or not between the front door and yourself in the bedroom. So I end up playing 'sarge-at-arms', lol.

Another thought is the inevitable proliferation of calibers and gun types, lol. I'm trying to direct things so we use and carry 9mm, solely. Other calibers, stocking enough for the revolver for SD use and reloading, ammo for the BUGs, but not using them excessively on the range are kept at minimum inventory.

One thing people tend to forget is the use of lighting. Motion-sensor lighting outside, and back-lit doorways (illuminating anyone coming into the bedroom) are key. Lights on a timer when you're out, and so forth.

Trigger Dr

Why not a safe with a key lock override? I have an electronic safe with four finger pads. It also has a tubular key override. Rather than the "biometric" feature and the resulting reliance on a battery, your wife could carry the key around her neck on a chain. I hate batteries on or in a "Must Happen" device. Murphy's law says that one time that it absolutely must, positively, with out delay, operate, as the British would say, "The fecking battery is dead".

BTW, same for relying on Cell Phones in a disaster. Not only do batteries go dead but the network goes down too. They then become as usefull as a game-boy.

And smoke detectors