• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Downside of Expanding OC in Alabama

eye95

OC in Alabama is exploding. Less than a year ago we numbered fewer than a dozen. We now have hundreds, from all over the State, OCing on a regular basis.

The downside is that the issue is being put front and center on the radar of departments that will not tolerate it. And those departments are throwing a LE tantrum, pulling out the stops to harass OCers even though they know the case to be a loser.

One of our members was just sent this email from the chief of police:

The investigation is complete, the prosecutor has reviewed the case and the magistrate has issued a misdemeanor warrant for your arrest. The charge is"Carrying a Pistol on Premises not his Own" and the bond has been set at $300. You may come to the police department and turn yourself in and you will be allowed to sign your own bond and will be given a court date in Municipal Court.

I would appreciate it if you could come in within the next couple days.

The quoted language is from 13A-11-52. Several cases in Alabama have made it crystal clear that folks cannot be charged under -52. If the prosecutor did the most cursory review of case law on -52, he'd know this.

He is either incredibly incompetent, incredibly dense, or incredibly malicious--possibly all three. This case represents the grossest violations of the rights of a carrier in Alabama yet.

Mike, I hope you read this post. I'd sure like to hear your thoughts on it.

FTG-05

So, generally, where did this happen and what is the person going to do about it? I *assume* he's going to fight it?

Last edited:

eye95

LEO may throw a tantrum however if your get a group together " safety in numbers" there is not much that they can do except sit back and throw a hiss fit. Let them be pissed off. they are a civil servant no more no less

Actually, if we carry in numbers, there is something they can do. It is unlawful to demonstrate in Alabama while armed.

eye95

I had no idea AL was part free/part slave. Or do you just have more than your quota of ignorant cops?

We have more than our quota of ignorant cops and prosecutors. Also, we have confusing laws that seem to prohibit OC. However, court rulings in AL have clearly established that OC is lawful. Any municipality/county/department/prosecutor worth a flip can do the research and determine the lawful nature of OC beyond any doubt. Any who do not are incompetent, lazy, in denial, or all three.

Because of the section we call "dash 52," I was on OCDO about a month before I was finally convinced that OC in Alabama was lawful--thanks to Mike for making the law clear. Folks whose profession is the law should be able to go through this process in about an hour.

AirBear

Just a reminder, under Alabama law, notice of intent to file suit for false arrest, must be made within 6 months of the arrest, not 6 months after being found not guilty.

stuckinchico

Actually, if we carry in numbers, there is something they can do. It is unlawful to demonstrate in Alabama while armed.

Who says its a demonstration??? Its just a bunch of good ol boys just getting together to have a good time, maybe pickup some trash, Interact with citizens, help an elderly person cross the road.

Demonstration to my understanding is with signs, chanting etc etc. not just a bunch of citizens having a gathering

Last edited:

Daylen

Statute or Constitutional law and Common law have kept OC legal. It seems attempts were made in Codified law to make all forms of carry illegal, but the courts looked to common and constitutional law on how to rule. The net result is its a bit confusing at first glance, but OC is legal.

eye95

Who says its a demonstration??? Its just a bunch of good ol boys just getting together to have a good time, maybe pickup some trash, Interact with citizens, help an elderly person cross the road.

Demonstration to my understanding is with signs, chanting etc etc. not just a bunch of citizens having a gathering

The implication was that the "carry in numbers" was in response to what the LEOs have done. That would be a demonstration. I will not participate nor would I condone breaking the law in that way.

BTW, we already get together to do the things you suggest, just not in public by way of protesting unlawful arrests.

M

mattwestm

WTF, the chief sent him an email saying he had a warrant out for his arrest? How professional...

eye95

WTF, the chief sent him an email saying he had a warrant out for his arrest? How professional...

Actually, had the chief and the prosecutor been right on the law, that email would have impressed me with the civil way in which the law is enforced for non-violent misdemeanors. That they are so wrong on the law betrays their unprofessionalism.

Kirbinator

If you're airing grievances, it's demonstration. If you're making a(n orderly) disturbance, it's a demonstration. If you're just sitting and drinking coffee and talking about cars or carbines, it's a peaceable assembly.

Kirbinator

Thanks to the way Alabama's laws are written, that's about as friendly as one can hope for. From this day on, until he has turned himself in, he can expect a knock on the door or to be stopped at any point while driving and be summarily arrested and extradited.

I'd love to know what "competent" Judge signed that warrant.

77zach

I'd write back and politely explain that I know the law, and that I will sue him personally for official oppression. What is it the statists say? "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."