Thread: Confused about OC law. Please help!

Confused about OC law. Please help!

Hello everyone,
    So I've been doing a lot of research on open carry in Arizona and I've been having real problems finding CURRENT Arizona OC laws. As a matter of fact, I just finished talking to a local police officer regarding Arizona's OC laws and he said, and I quote, "You have to be 21 to OC a HANDGUN". I thought you had to be 18 to OC rifles/shotguns AND handguns. And what about conceal carry? How old do you have to be to legally conceal carry? Please help me with this! Thank you so very much!!

18 for open carry and 21 for concealed. INAL
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

i had the same problem when i talked to Marana pd officer one day and he said, you can OC if your 18 but it cant be loaded since you cant buy ammo till your 21 and thats why you have to be 21 to become a peace officer. i think that guy needs to go over the state law again..other ccw instructers ive talked to have said the same thing tho...mind boggling

What is not illegal is not in the law books. In other words, only what is illegal is in the state law books.

What is illegal:
    1. Illegal to OC under 18, unless you are 14-17, and hunting or doing varmit eradication for agriculture.

2.Illegal to CC under 21.

3. Illegal to carry if you are not here legally.

4. Illegal to carry in a bar/restaurant that serves alcohol, unless you CC with a valid permit [any state's] and they don't post 'no firearm' signs.

5. Illegal to consume alcohol in bar/restaurant if armed.

6. Illegal to have firearm on K-12 grounds, unless unloaded and out of sight in vehicle; OR you are there for firearm compitition/training.

7. Illegal to have firearm in nuke planty, hydro-electric plant, or voting place.

those are the basics. Read Title 13, chapter 31 and parts of Title 4 of the Arizona Revised Statutes.
    Last edited by AZkopper; 04-06-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Hey str3ngthz, I posted some information on the "moving back" thread here in the AZ forum from Arizona Revised Statutes. I'm not sure if it will help clear up any confusion for you, but it's there if you want to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGlock40 View Post
    i had the same problem when i talked to Marana pd officer one day and he said, you can OC if your 18 but it cant be loaded since you cant buy ammo till your 21 and thats why you have to be 21 to become a peace officer. i think that guy needs to go over the state law again..other ccw instructers ive talked to have said the same thing tho...mind boggling
    Hehe, Marana eh? Used to go out there all the time when I was younger. I live in Oro Valley now.

Quote Originally Posted by str3ngthz View Post
    Hehe, Marana eh? Used to go out there all the time when I was younger. I live in Oro Valley now.
    nice..im up by the foothills mall now

nice..im up by the foothills mall now
    Do you ever OC at the mall? Just started OC'ing. My 3rd day of it but I haven't found the courage to OC in a private establishment like a grocery store.. at least I think grocery stores are considered private establishments.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGlock40
    You can OC if you're 18 but it can't be loaded since you can't buy ammo till you're 21 and that's why you have to be 21 to become a peace officer.
    (FTFY)

What an idiot. Another example of why (most of the time) asking officers for legal advice is a bad idea. Some know the laws (lots here on OCDO), too many don't.

Under Federal law someone under 21 can't buy handgun ammo.
    S/he could, however, buy ammo for a rifle that happens to be in the same caliber as a handgun s/he also legally owns.
    S/he could also be gifted with ammo.

S/he can buy a gun in a private sale, but not from a dealer (so can't have a background check).
    S/he can also be gifted with a firearm.
    S/he can also use a firearm at work... including working as a LEO. Or a soldier.

Others have already quoted AZ statutes for the rest of the original question, so I'll stop here.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Do you ever OC at the mall? Just started OC'ing. My 3rd day of it but I haven't found the courage to OC in a private establishment like a grocery store.. at least I think grocery stores are considered private establishments.
    Fry's has never been a problem.

ArizonaKopper:

Thank You for Accurate Arizona Firearms Law Interpretation!

aadvark

cops are not lawyers, going to a cop for legal advice is fail for gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by chrsjhnsn View Post
    Yeah... I'm 18 and I've only be OC'ing for a few days now and I already knew the answer b4 I asked him... So I found out personally myself that cops don't know everything. Thank you for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by chrsjhnsn View Post
    Yes, but when the cop is a kopper, and quotes the law to you, it's a pretty good bet it's accurate. ;-)

i have but you get told to leave pretty fast if maintance or security sees you in the mall..one time a maintance lady in the mall saw my glock and said " theres a guy with a gun in the food court" over there radio, but i know the security tho and they just told me to leave after i got my food and that was that, grocery stores are fine with it..i OC in Frys walmarts and all them places..but any mall in tucson is a no go for OC pretty much.. walmart and frys are fine with it tho, sometimes ull see fellow OCers in there 2

theres a guy with a gun in the food court
    Be careful in malls. If the mall's food court has places that serve alcohol, you have committed a Class 2 Misdemeanor if you are open carrying.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    Be careful in malls. If the mall's food court has places that serve alcohol, you have committed a Class 2 Misdemeanor if you are open carrying.

Fred
    Hey man thanks for bringing that up. Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it illegal to OC/CC in an establishment that serves alcohol that is to be consumed ON the location of that establishment? Like at a bar right? But it is legal to OC in establishments that sell alcohol that is to be consumed off of that business's location?
    Last edited by str3ngthz; 04-21-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Grammer problem

Hey man thanks for bringing that up. Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it illegal to OC/CC in an establishment that serves alcohol that is to be consumed ON the location of that establishment? Like at a bar right? But it is legal to OC in establishments that sell alcohol that is to be consumed off of that business's location?
    You are allowed to conceal carry, at an establishment that serves alcohol on the premises. IF

- The establishment is NOT posted. (Has a sign by the front door, and by the liquor license, and the sign has to be DPS specs like this http://www.azliquor.gov/assets/docum...rearms_eng.pdf )

- You may not drink at any time

- You must have a CCW

If you are someone that sells alcohol to be consumed OFF the premises. Such as grocery stores, gas stations etc.

- OC is legal
    - No ccw is required.
    - Weapons rules are up to the individual owners of the establishment

azcdlfred:

When is Arizona going to Join The Rest of The Country and ALLOW Open Carry at Restaurants and Bars?

aadvark

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    azcdlfred:

When is Arizona going to Join The Rest of The Country and ALLOW Open Carry at Restaurants and Bars?

aadvark
    Babysteps, aardvark, babysteps. 4-229 was an improvement over the old law, and has only been in affect for a year. I'd bet that in the next legislative session the concealed language will be proposed dropped from 4-229.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    When we can get a Legislature willing to pass it and a Governor willing to sign it.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post

Fred
    ya the foothills mall doesnt serve alcohol in the food court, just the restaurants that are attached to the mall do cuz theres no alcohol allowed in the mall. thanks tho for the tip

In Missouri and visiting AZ next month - vacation. I've read the laws. Question, is OC common in AZ? I'm staring in Phoenix and heading south with lots of tourist stuff planned. Do the LEOs give you must trouble on City streets?
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    In Missouri and visiting AZ next month - vacation. I've read the laws. Question, is OC common in AZ? I'm staring in Phoenix and heading south with lots of tourist stuff planned. Do the LEOs give you must trouble on City streets?
    Short answer - no, LEOs do not give you trouble.

Long answer - browse through the numerous threads in the AZ forum such as "Places to Open Carry," or others asking similar questions to yours. You'll have the opportunity to read about a lot of people, open carrying in a lot of places, with no hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
    Short answer - no, LEOs do not give you trouble.

Long answer - browse through the numerous threads in the AZ forum such as "Places to Open Carry," or others asking similar questions to yours. You'll have the opportunity to read about a lot of people, open carrying in a lot of places, with no hassles.
    Thanks for the response - will do!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO