• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confused about OC law. Please help!

str3ngthz

Hello everyone,
So I've been doing a lot of research on open carry in Arizona and I've been having real problems finding CURRENT Arizona OC laws. As a matter of fact, I just finished talking to a local police officer regarding Arizona's OC laws and he said, and I quote, "You have to be 21 to OC a HANDGUN". I thought you had to be 18 to OC rifles/shotguns AND handguns. And what about conceal carry? How old do you have to be to legally conceal carry? Please help me with this! Thank you so very much!!

JoeGlock40

i had the same problem when i talked to Marana pd officer one day and he said, you can OC if your 18 but it cant be loaded since you cant buy ammo till your 21 and thats why you have to be 21 to become a peace officer. i think that guy needs to go over the state law again..other ccw instructers ive talked to have said the same thing tho...mind boggling

AZkopper

What is not illegal is not in the law books. In other words, only what is illegal is in the state law books.

What is illegal:
1. Illegal to OC under 18, unless you are 14-17, and hunting or doing varmit eradication for agriculture.

2.Illegal to CC under 21.

3. Illegal to carry if you are not here legally.

4. Illegal to carry in a bar/restaurant that serves alcohol, unless you CC with a valid permit [any state's] and they don't post 'no firearm' signs.

5. Illegal to consume alcohol in bar/restaurant if armed.

6. Illegal to have firearm on K-12 grounds, unless unloaded and out of sight in vehicle; OR you are there for firearm compitition/training.

7. Illegal to have firearm in nuke planty, hydro-electric plant, or voting place.

those are the basics. Read Title 13, chapter 31 and parts of Title 4 of the Arizona Revised Statutes.

Last edited:

Super Saiyan

Hey str3ngthz, I posted some information on the "moving back" thread here in the AZ forum from Arizona Revised Statutes. I'm not sure if it will help clear up any confusion for you, but it's there if you want to take a look.

str3ngthz

i had the same problem when i talked to Marana pd officer one day and he said, you can OC if your 18 but it cant be loaded since you cant buy ammo till your 21 and thats why you have to be 21 to become a peace officer. i think that guy needs to go over the state law again..other ccw instructers ive talked to have said the same thing tho...mind boggling

Hehe, Marana eh? Used to go out there all the time when I was younger. I live in Oro Valley now.

str3ngthz

nice..im up by the foothills mall now

Do you ever OC at the mall? Just started OC'ing. My 3rd day of it but I haven't found the courage to OC in a private establishment like a grocery store.. at least I think grocery stores are considered private establishments.

MKEgal

JoeGlock40 said:
You can OC if you're 18 but it can't be loaded since you can't buy ammo till you're 21 and that's why you have to be 21 to become a peace officer.
(FTFY)
:banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:
What an idiot. Another example of why (most of the time) asking officers for legal advice is a bad idea. Some know the laws (lots here on OCDO), too many don't.

Under Federal law someone under 21 can't buy handgun ammo.
S/he could, however, buy ammo for a rifle that happens to be in the same caliber as a handgun s/he also legally owns.
S/he could also be gifted with ammo.

S/he can buy a gun in a private sale, but not from a dealer (so can't have a background check).
S/he can also be gifted with a firearm.
S/he can also use a firearm at work... including working as a LEO. Or a soldier.

Others have already quoted AZ statutes for the rest of the original question, so I'll stop here.

Sonora Rebel

Do you ever OC at the mall? Just started OC'ing. My 3rd day of it but I haven't found the courage to OC in a private establishment like a grocery store.. at least I think grocery stores are considered private establishments.

Fry's has never been a problem.

aadvark

ArizonaKopper:

Thank You for Accurate Arizona Firearms Law Interpretation!

aadvark

str3ngthz

cops are not lawyers, going to a cop for legal advice is fail for gun owners.

Yeah... I'm 18 and I've only be OC'ing for a few days now and I already knew the answer b4 I asked him... So I found out personally myself that cops don't know everything. Thank you for your concern.

JoeGlock40

i have but you get told to leave pretty fast if maintance or security sees you in the mall..one time a maintance lady in the mall saw my glock and said " theres a guy with a gun in the food court" over there radio, but i know the security tho and they just told me to leave after i got my food and that was that, grocery stores are fine with it..i OC in Frys walmarts and all them places..but any mall in tucson is a no go for OC pretty much.. walmart and frys are fine with it tho, sometimes ull see fellow OCers in there 2

str3ngthz

Be careful in malls. If the mall's food court has places that serve alcohol, you have committed a Class 2 Misdemeanor if you are open carrying.

Fred

Hey man thanks for bringing that up. Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it illegal to OC/CC in an establishment that serves alcohol that is to be consumed ON the location of that establishment? Like at a bar right? But it is legal to OC in establishments that sell alcohol that is to be consumed off of that business's location?

Last edited:

impulse

Hey man thanks for bringing that up. Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it illegal to OC/CC in an establishment that serves alcohol that is to be consumed ON the location of that establishment? Like at a bar right? But it is legal to OC in establishments that sell alcohol that is to be consumed off of that business's location?

You are allowed to conceal carry, at an establishment that serves alcohol on the premises. IF

- The establishment is NOT posted. (Has a sign by the front door, and by the liquor license, and the sign has to be DPS specs like this http://www.azliquor.gov/assets/documents/firearms/firearms_eng.pdf )

- You may not drink at any time

- You must have a CCW

If you are someone that sells alcohol to be consumed OFF the premises. Such as grocery stores, gas stations etc.

- OC is legal
- No ccw is required.
- Weapons rules are up to the individual owners of the establishment

aadvark

azcdlfred:

When is Arizona going to Join The Rest of The Country and ALLOW Open Carry at Restaurants and Bars?

aadvark

AZkopper

azcdlfred:

When is Arizona going to Join The Rest of The Country and ALLOW Open Carry at Restaurants and Bars?

aadvark

Babysteps, aardvark, babysteps. 4-229 was an improvement over the old law, and has only been in affect for a year. I'd bet that in the next legislative session the concealed language will be proposed dropped from 4-229.