• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st Amendment violation?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It's hard to believe (ok, not really) that there is actually a law for "teasing a police dog". I mean, honestly how many people are really going to mess with a police canine. Just another one of those strange things that make us America.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's hard to believe (ok, not really) that there is actually a law for "teasing a police dog". I mean, honestly how many people are really going to mess with a police canine. Just another one of those strange things that make us America.

I have heard that in some areas interfering with , injuring, or killing a police dog is much the same as doing so to a LEO.

DevinWKuska

I have heard that in some areas interfering with , injuring, or killing a police dog is much the same as doing so to a LEO.

+1
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/crime&id=7818132

"A person convicted of killing a police animal in New Jersey could be sentenced to five years in prison."

This is in Texas...

"5) a felony of the third degree if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(6) or (7) by killing a police service animal (defined as a dog, horse, or other domesticated animal that is specially trained for use by a handler or rider) or by engaging in conduct likely to kill the animal."

Here is a good site with references to many states.
http://www.policek9.com/html/statutes.html

since9

Campaign Veteran

Shouldn't be. A dog is a dog is a dog is a dog is a dog. <--- No "LEO" or "human" in that sentence. I know for a fact (my baseball coach was a police dog handler and trainer) that the dog knows its territory and WILL attack anyone within it. Not viciously, but it will NOT let go until its handler tells it to let go. He had signs on his fence every ten feet, but every year some idiot would stick their hand over the fence to pet the doggy then be stuck there until he could race home and give the dog the proper command.

If I'm engaged in lawful activity and I'm attacked by a dog, the dog is dead. I've yet to see a police dog wear a vest with big, bold POLICE lettering, so how am I supposed to know it's a police dog that's barking and racing at me with it's teeth barred? I would argue in court that its handler unlawfully released it on a law-abiding citizen engaged in lawful activity without first approaching or contacting me himself.

Last edited:

Kirbinator

I can't really disagree. Attack dogs are some of the meanest animals around. They aren't trained to defend. They are trained to injure, maim, or kill. They are weapons.

Most police dogs are only about 1/2 inch away from that. What if the officer minding the dog is fatally and immediately shot? How is the dog to get the command to stop? What if the person who shot the officer isn't the person the dog is chewing on?

stainless1911

Banned
You can be tried for killing a police officer if you kill the dog here. I think that for that reason, among others, that the police should be permanently barred from using dogs that will come near people. Let them use them for bomb detection and search and rescue, and only if they are tethered and muzzled.

If the police had a large pair of pliers with "teeth" in the jaws of those pliers, mounted them on a stick, and then used that tool to subdue people, the ACLU would be all over it. The people would be in an uproar. Add tho that thought though, the pliers would be connected to a human brain, not a dogs brain, and people are not typically prone to a phobia of pliers.

Last edited:

Brion

+1
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/crime&id=7818132

"A person convicted of killing a police animal in New Jersey could be sentenced to five years in prison."

This is in Texas...

"5) a felony of the third degree if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(6) or (7) by killing a police service animal (defined as a dog, horse, or other domesticated animal that is specially trained for use by a handler or rider) or by engaging in conduct likely to kill the animal."

Here is a good site with references to many states.
http://www.policek9.com/html/statutes.html

Being from Texas and a Number of LEO in my family. If I am not mistaken, and it might have explained this in one of those links. Killing a Police Dog is the same as killing a LEO = Death Penalty.

Now I'm neither a animal hater, nor a animal lover. I believe you kill it, you eat it. With some exception like when dealing with varmit, rodent, pests. Now those dogs are trained and they are not generally aggresive. In fact when they do their job, that's just it, It's a job. It's not a trained killer. As far as the dog is concerend he gets rewarded for getting the perp so they get excited and happy when they get let off the leash to go "sick 'em." So I wouldn't ever worry about nor see the need of ever killing a police dog. The Law is in place for events that the perp chooses to kill the dog when they release the dog on him/her. Just the same if a LEO moves in on a perp and the perm manages to kill the LEO. So I for one don't really see a problem with this at all.

If you are in a situation where the police are using a dog on you, well lets face it. You sir, messed up.

Uber_Olafsun

I can't really disagree. Attack dogs are some of the meanest animals around. They aren't trained to defend. They are trained to injure, maim, or kill. They are weapons.

Most police dogs are only about 1/2 inch away from that. What if the officer minding the dog is fatally and immediately shot? How is the dog to get the command to stop? What if the person who shot the officer isn't the person the dog is chewing on?

I wouldn't say that of all police dogs other than the command to stop part. Now trying to instigate an animal regardless of how much training it has is stupid IMO because it is an animal and not quite a functional in the thinking department as most humans. One guy in our apartment complex was an officer and had a dog that when let loose in the dog run was running away from my Pomeranian. It was a Rott mix so talk about a funny as hell sight.