• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc with iwb holster

one5oh2nv

Is it ok or not? I have been thinking about since my iwb holster is more comfortable. I have searched this site for answers but its been for other states.

Anyone here carry like that? Have you ever had any issues with Leos?

Thanks

The Big Guy

In my opinion the test would be if one could easily discern that you are carrying. However, if an overzealous Cop decided you were concealed, you would have a fight on your hands. Bottom line, do you have money for an Attorney?
I would suggest leaving that fight for another day. Hopefully one day we push hard enough to get Constitutional Carry and your question would then be a moot point. I think the best path for most people of simple means is to fight without ending up in jail and loosing our savings to lawyers. Civil disobedience is always an option, but the last one I think.

TBG

Last edited:

Vegassteve

Agreed bigguy. While it may not be concealed I wouldnt trust my money or my life on any cop in this area, to do the right thing.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
If you mean wearing your IWB holster under the belt but outside the pants, why not? The belt is not enough to conceal the pistol.

If you mean wearing the holster inside the trousers with the shirt tucked in a way to expose the upper portion, it would only take accidentally letting the shirt go over it to become a felon and lose your right to own firearms.

Nevada carrier

unless you have an IWB holster with a retention mechanism, I wouldn't do it legal or otherwise. Part of open carry is the security of your firearm. Granted there are no verifiable cases of a bad guy disarming an open carrier and using his gun against him, you still don't want to make it easy.

Here's the way it would go down in court;
Defense attorney: Officer somebody, How did you discern that the defendant was carrying a firearm.
Officer Somebody: I could see it in his waist band.
Defense attorney: Did you have to uncover it in any way to discover the firearm?
Officer somebody: No, it wasn't covered.
Defense attorney: So you could tell by ordinary observation that the defendant had a firearm?
Officer Somebody: Yes.
Defense attorney: could you please tell my by what criteria you used to justify my client's arrest?
Officer somebody: Part of the firearm was hidden
Defense attorney: Yet you could still discern that he possessed a firearm without going to extraordinary measures to discover it?
Officer Somebody: Yes.

The question here is, do you have the coin for a defense attorney and are you willing to part with it?

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Actually, it would go more like this:

Q: Officer, how did you determine that my client had a pistol in his waistband?

A: I saw indications of "printing" and got glimpses of what might have been a pistol, so I investigated further. As I did, I realized that he did, in fact, have a pistol which was mostly concealed by his clothing. The only part which was visible was a portion of the top of the pistol.

Q: You say that the pistol was partially visible, so that anyone would have been able to tell that it was there?

A: No, sir, I said that the pistol was mostly concealed. As a law enforcement officer, I have been specifically trained to notice details and to recognize when a person is concealing a weapon, even when it is not plain to other people.

Wearing the IWB as if it were a standard holster -- outside the clothing -- eliminates the whole issue.

And, of course, you are 100% correct about some positive form of retention being important.