• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 650 Amend various gun laws

chiefjason

Yeah it's mostly CC, BUT it strikes the city/county ability to band "display" think Cary, Durham, and Chapel Hill.

Here's the big one. School carry in vehicles. Parks carry. Preemption with real teeth. Parade carry. City and county display codes struck. Bank CC struck. Reciprocity with all state CC permits.

The only thing I don't see is admission. But it's hard to read with all the stuff struck, lol.

What needs to be fixed, altered, or added? Let's get on it.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...20&BillID=h650

OK, school property is more locked in car than carried on person in car. Need to work on that.

flightline

Link didn't work for me; see if this one works:

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H650v0.pdf

Page 7 lines 38-39 strikes G.S. 14-269.3 from the list of statutes that the law points out holders of NC CHPs is not exempt from. This is the one that reads: "It shall be unlawful for any person to carry . . .into any assembly where a fee has been charged."

The way it's structured, it would appear that CHP holders were not authorized to carry in the areas 269.3 mentions, but now they are. However, I don't see anything in this bill that actually modifies or strikes 14-269.3, so I believe such carry would still be illegal, although the statute hardly makes this clear.

cmlewis184

Does anyone know who the primary sponsor of this bill is? I'd like to see this turn into a campus carry bill. It would only take removing one sentence from what's already proposed.

GS14-269.2 (1b)
The person has a permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or that is valid under G.S. 14-415.24 (and the firearm is in a closed compartment or container within the person's locked vehicle or in a locked container securely affixed to the person's vehicle.) <---remove this

farkles

This is one of the best overall bills every presented in NC for 2nd Amendment rights!

Yes in my opinion it falls short on the campus carry, but I am thrilled that it will reduce the asenine penalty down to a Misdemeanor rather than a Felony.....Agreed it should allow campus carry, but lets put EVERYTHING we have behind this bill and continue to expand our gun rights!