• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed Home Intruder Fatally Wounded After Brandishing a Handgun

estcrh

I just received an email about this incident. According to this the victim was a 30 yr old female
The victim, who has a concealed weapons permit
and yet the victim had a record like this
The 30-year-old female was previously arrested 2 times for Aggravated Battery, Possession of Marijuana, 4 Warrants and Disturbing the Peace.
Can you actually own a gun let alone get a concealed permit in La. with a record like this?

Members of the New Orleans Police Department are investigating the apparent shooting death of an unidentified male who was fatally shot by a 30-year-old female after he entered her home brandishing a handgun. The offense occurred at approximately 7:00 P.M., inside of a home in the 1700 block of
Cambronne Street

According to investigators, the victim entered her home with her 3 children. At some point in time, the suspect entered the home and produced a handgun. The victim, who has a concealed weapons permit was armed, and shot the suspects multiple times to the body. The victim and her children were not injured in the incident.

Emergency Medical Paramedics transported the suspect to a local hospital where he later died.

Detectives recovered the suspect and victim’s handguns and additionally recovered a second handgun from the victim’s residence.

The 30-year-old female was previously arrested 2 times for Aggravated Battery, Possession of Marijuana, 4 Warrants and Disturbing the Peace.

The investigation is ongoing and at this time detectives are classifying the incident as justifiable and the District Attorney Office will review the investigation.

georg jetson

Why would an ARREST record be used to deprive someone of life, liberty or property? An arrest is only one part of someone's right to due process. Arrest does NOT equal convviction.

estcrh

Why would an ARREST record be used to deprive someone of life, liberty or property? An arrest is only one part of someone's right to due process. Arrest does NOT equal convviction.
Your absolutely right about the "arrest" part George. I should have worded it better. If these "arrests" had led to convictions would some of them keep a person from getting a concealed permit and or prevent a person from even owning a fire arm in La?

smn

The news article is from an "authorized journalist" linking gun permits to alleged drug use and other assorted criminal activities.

estcrh

The news article is from an "authorized journalist" linking gun permits to alleged drug use and other assorted criminal activities.
This information came right from the NOPD.>>>>>> The New Orleans Police Department – Public Information Office

Anyone can sign up for email alerts for whatever district they want.

Sent by Garry Flot to 1st District News & Info, 2nd District News & Info, 3rd District News & Info, 4th District News & Info, 5th District News & Info, 6th District News & Info, 7th District News & Info, 8th District News & Info, N.O.P.D. Command Desk, N.O.P.D. Public Information Office (e-mail accounts) through NOLAReady
... powered by Cooper Notification's Roam Secure Alert Network
--
You received this message because you registered on NOLAReady. To change your alerting preferences go to www.NOLAReady.info/mygroups.php

Tell a friend/co-worker about NOLAReady! Forward this message to them and have them register for this free service at www.NOLAReady.info

estcrh

KBCraig

Detectives recovered the suspect and victim’s handguns and additionally recovered a second handgun from the victim’s residence.
"Recovered" a second handgun? Was it lost? Or did the reporter just mis-spell "seized"?

On what basis would the PD seize all guns belonging to the victim?

Last edited:

MKEgal

I'm so used to news stories using "victim" for "assailant who got shot" that I had a hard time reading this at first. :lol:

Although I agree - why should the PD seize the victim's other gun, the one not used to defend herself? I can barely see them keeping that one for a few days, to confirm her story, but she's just shown that she needs to be able to defend herself & her kids. Why leave her defenseless???

charlie12

I spoke with Gary Flot on the phone about her having a permit and the arrest record. He told me the computer didn't show she had been convicted.
I would like to know the rest of that story about her permit, if it was a CHP or a parish permit.

Seigi

I'm so used to news stories using "victim" for "assailant who got shot" that I had a hard time reading this at first. :lol:

Although I agree - why should the PD seize the victim's other gun, the one not used to defend herself? I can barely see them keeping that one for a few days, to confirm her story, but she's just shown that she needs to be able to defend herself & her kids. Why leave her defenseless???

Because they feel that doing so puts them in control?

I think there might be a heightened risk to even a few days; if the victim is not only disarmed but publicly known to be disarmed wouldn't that be an ideal time for the assailant's family to come after her, if so inclined? Now that they can't sue, I mean.

georg jetson

Now that they can't sue, I mean.

Are you referring to this statute?

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=107252

2800.10. Immunity from liability for injuries sustained while committing a felony offense

A. No person shall be liable for damages for injury, death, or loss sustained by a perpetrator of a felony offense during the commission of the offense or while fleeing the scene of the offense.

B. The provisions of this Section shall apply regardless of whether the injury, death, or loss was caused by an intentional or unintentional act or omission or a condition of property or a building. However, the provisions of this Section shall not apply if injury to or death of a perpetrator results from an intentional act involving the use of excessive force.

C. For purposes of this Section "damages" includes all general and special damages which may be recoverable for personal injury, death, or loss of or damage to property, including those otherwise recoverable in a survival or wrongful death action.