• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

8 Year old boy pepper-sprayed. LOL!

MikeTheGreek

x3atthis

An 8 year old boy was pepper-sprayed after taking a sharp piece of wood and threatening to kill police officers that were at his school. He has a history of the same ****. Apparently after this, his mother threw a violent temper tantrum also at the school.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/8-old-pepper-sprayed-police-us-primary-school-20110406-042950-457.html

Thoughts? I think they should have tazed the little ****....and his mother.

Yes, because using an unnecessary levels of force to subdue a mentally ill small child is definitely logical and humane. He's 8 and he's sick, let's further penalize him for that which is far beyond his control, rather than handle the situation at hand.

The mother is being ridiculous, and the boy obviously needs more intervention than he is currently receiving. The police were within their rights to use mace.

MikeTheGreek

Yes, because using an unnecessary levels of force to subdue a mentally ill small child is definitely logical and humane. He's 8 and he's sick, let's further penalize him for that which is far beyond his control, rather than handle the situation at hand.

The mother is being ridiculous, and the boy obviously needs more intervention than he is currently receiving. The police were within their rights to use mace.

I read nothing about him being mentally ill. He was an 8 year old boy who grabbed a sharp piece of wood, and actually tried to kill a police officer with. A weapon is a weapon, a death threat is a threat threat. Use of pepper spray was justified, no doubt about it, he admitted on the news that he wanted to kill the cops, that's enough for me.

eye95

The LEOs used nonlethal force to stop a child from hurting them or anyone else with a sharpened stick--after he brandished it accompanied by threats that he would use it.

Good.

The little [expletive left out] needs that kind of lesson. He clearly is not getting that lesson from his "mother."

x3atthis

I read nothing about him being mentally ill. He was an 8 year old boy who grabbed a sharp piece of wood, and actually tried to kill a police officer with. A weapon is a weapon, a death threat is a threat threat. Use of pepper spray was justified, no doubt about it, he admitted on the news that he wanted to kill the cops, that's enough for me.

I'm not sure what world you live in, but normal 8 year old boys don't try to kill people with a piece of wood. In addition to that, the article clearly stated that the boy suffers from behavioral issues to the extent that he attends special programs at school, clearly indicating mental health issues.

As I already stated, I take no issue with macing him. He posed a threat to their safety and to the safety of others. What I do take issue with, is statements such as "should have tazed the little s***."

To even make derogatory references to an ill child is immature at best, for starters. And given the community that we are, one that is frequently the target of police and overt force, I have a hard time understanding why we would advocate the police using unnecessary force against ANYONE for ANY reason.

MikeTheGreek

I'm not sure what world you live in, but normal 8 year old boys don't try to kill people with a piece of wood. In addition to that, the article clearly stated that the boy suffers from behavioral issues to the extent that he attends special programs at school, clearly indicating mental health issues.

As I already stated, I take no issue with macing him. He posed a threat to their safety and to the safety of others. What I do take issue with, is statements such as "should have tazed the little s***."

To even make derogatory references to an ill child is immature at best, for starters. And given the community that we are, one that is frequently the target of police and overt force, I have a hard time understanding why we would advocate the police using unnecessary force against ANYONE for ANY reason.

Everything these days that kids do wrong, make people think they are "mentally ill". If a child behaves badly, the parents flip out and put them on meds. When I was a kid, behaving badly, was common. They didn't drug you up, say you were mentally ill, or send you to other schools to handle it.

Hes just a kid who CLEARLY wasn't raised right, and thinks it's fine to do these kinds of things, because I guarantee his mother went home, told him it was fine, and said the police shouldn't have touched him.

I stand by the fact he should have been tazed, he was an out of control individual who posed a threat to himself, the other children, and the police, by clearly stating he was going to try and cause bodily harm, and death to the police officers.

Just because he's an idiot, doesn't make him mentally ill. He was raised wrong, and made a bad choice. That's it.

Samopal

I'm not sure where you live but normal people don't try to kill others with pieces of wood at all.

These "behavioural" issues stem from the fact that he's obviously a spoiled brat who's never been disciplined or told "no" by his violence-prone single mother.

If you want to play the mental issue card, why doesn't this apply to every scumbag who tries to stab a cop? Why is this kid special? Should we just try to reason with everyone who declares their intent to kill police and not hold anything against them?

Last edited:

Aknazer

What you consider "unnecessary" could just be what's needed to get through to him that his behavior is unacceptable. Yes it sounds like he has issues, but that doesn't mean he should get a free pass; and personally I feel that "spare the rod, spoil the child" is even more true with problem children (to a point).

Samopal

Oh, Well why didn't you say you knew the child personally?

I don't, but then again neither does the dude claiming the kid has legit mental issues. From how is mother acted and the current trend of single parents not disciplining their kids I'd say mine was a solid guess.

x3atthis

So given that tasers are only safe for use on those weighing over 60 lbs, remind me again how tasing this 8 year old would have been acceptable? You're telling me lethal force was called for?

MikeTheGreek

So given that tasers are only safe for use on those weighing over 60 lbs, remind me again how tasing this 8 year old would have been acceptable? You're telling me lethal force was called for?

Children have been tased in the past. Yes, some had complications, some didn't. This child was pepper sprayed twice. If he didn't respond to pepper spray, and continued to try and attack the police officers, yes, I stand by my statement that they should have tased him.

Police officers have been told, that they are allowed to use tasers on children.

He stopped after being sprayed twice, so a taser was not necessary.

MikeTheGreek

Also, the average weight of an 8 year old is around 60lbs. This child looks like he is atleast 60lbs.

When the police officers entered the classroom, his exact words were "I will kill you motherf*ckers, if anybody comes in here they will die"

I firmly stand by my initial statements.

x3atthis

Children have been tased in the past. Yes, some had complications, some didn't. This child was pepper sprayed twice. If he didn't respond to pepper spray, and continued to try and attack the police officers, yes, I stand by my statement that they should have tased him.

Police officers have been told, that they are allowed to use tasers on children.

He stopped after being sprayed twice, so a taser was not necessary.

Yes, but that would have been a different situation than what occurred, necessitating the escalation of force. Your statement in the OP was in no way a reference to what could have happened.

Children and small children are two very different stories...an 11 year olds body is far more equipped to handle the physical effects of a taser than a 7 or 8 year old. The average percentile weight is 57, but the weight of children varies drastically. If the 50th percentile is 57 lbs, half of all 8 year old boys weigh less than that. While escalation of force is sometimes necessary, to haphazardly tase a small child, given the risk of tasing an individual under 60 lbs, would be just as rational and just as the shooting of John Williams in my opinion. This boy did not have a gun or a machete or a butcher knife. He had a stick. You're telling me multiple police aren't physically capable of subduing an 8 year old, blinded by mace, who's wielding a piece of wood?

MikeTheGreek

Yes, but that would have been a different situation than what occurred, necessitating the escalation of force. Your statement in the OP was in no way a reference to what could have happened.

Children and small children are two very different stories...an 11 year olds body is far more equipped to handle the physical effects of a taser than a 7 or 8 year old. The average percentile weight is 57, but the weight of children varies drastically. If the 50th percentile is 57 lbs, half of all 8 year old boys weigh less than that. While escalation of force is sometimes necessary, to haphazardly tase a small child, given the risk of tasing an individual under 60 lbs, would be just as rational and just as the shooting of John Williams in my opinion. This boy did not have a gun or a machete or a butcher knife. He had a stick. You're telling me multiple police aren't physically capable of subduing an 8 year old, blinded by mace, who's wielding a piece of wood?

I agree the shooting of John Williams was retarded, although he had a knife, he did not threaten a police officer, or say "I'm going to kill you motherf*uckers"

I don't know, the child was clearly ready to take the life of the police officers, that's gotta tell you something. Mentally ill? Probably not, going to wind up in prison some day? I give him a 90% chance of serving some hard time in the future.

Guido

What ever happened to just taking the damn stick away from the kid ? how much can getting whacked by a stick of wood trim hurt when it is swung by an 8 year old ? I mean Jesus Christ people think this thru !!!! have the police been pepper spraying bad kids for a hundred years? NO ! they walk up and take the damn stick away grab the kid and haul his butt off to his father or mother for whatever punishment they deem necessary.

It isn't rocket science, if your so damn scared of the damage a 8 YEAR OLD can do with a piece of wood trim then you should probably never leave your house!

was the kid in the wrong ? YES
should he have been pepper sprayed ? NO
should his parent whip his butt ? YES

JoeSparky

Centurion
I agree the shooting of John Williams was retarded, although he had a knife, he did not threaten a police officer, or say "I'm going to kill you motherf*uckers"

I don't know, the child was clearly ready to take the life of the police officers, that's gotta tell you something. Mentally ill? Probably not, going to wind up in prison some day? I give him a 90% chance of serving some hard time in the future.

Making a HUGE assumption that he doesn't die very young EARLIER. Whatever the issues, from lack of "appropriate" guidance from the parental figures (as in THEY can't teach what they don't know) up to and including severe mental illnesses (if he isn't safe to be out in a "uncontrolled" environment then he needs to be in a "controlled" environment--- and a public school, even with "special ed" "therapy" AIN'T what I be talking about) IF his behaviors are not modified VERY quickly if he doesn't die from an "unwise" choice he WILL spend a long time in our countries "gray bar hotels" as a direct result of his continues "poor" decision making propensity!

x3atthis

Making a HUGE assumption that he doesn't die very young EARLIER. Whatever the issues, from lack of "appropriate" guidance from the parental figures (as in THEY can't teach what they don't know) up to and including severe mental illnesses (if he isn't safe to be out in a "uncontrolled" environment then he needs to be in a "controlled" environment--- and a public school, even with "special ed" "therapy" AIN'T what I be talking about) IF his behaviors are not modified VERY quickly if he doesn't die from an "unwise" choice he WILL spend a long time in our countries "gray bar hotels" as a direct result of his continues "poor" decision making propensity!

Oh I absolutely agree, without a doubt. Children with sociopathic tendencies are not properly treated or institutionalized in our country. That's not to say that all sociopaths should be institutionalized....sociopathy covers a wide spectrum of anti-social personality disorder, and sociopaths are not all dangerous. But when you have an 8 year old who is already exhibiting signs of severe sociopathy and violence, then then you are faced with an individual who needs intensive intervention at the least, and possibly institutionalization. Children like this are oftentimes incorrigible.