• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL/CCW badge, legal? Or not.

MikeTheGreek

For those of you that don't read the gun magazines. The bright green CCW sash was actually recomened (in a reputable gun magazine) gear so as not to be shot by police when they show up. The article was a little unclear on which order you put it on.
Shoot bad guy, call cops, put on CCW sash.
put on ccw sash, call cops, shoot bad guy.
put on sash, shoot bad guy, call cops.
you get the idea.

Shoot bad guy, call cops, put on CCW sash, shoot self

I believe that's the most effective use.

B

Bikenut

Hmmmm....

Seems to me that seeing someone wearing a gaudy sash advertising the presence of a gun might scare someone... or even offend someone... perhaps even do permanent damage to a child's psyche as they wonder, likely for the rest of their lives, why they were subjected to the sight of a dork in a sash...

My God!!! Think of the children!!!!

So maybe it would be best to fold up that sash and carry it concealed so it can be whipped out at the last minute and "surprise" the bad guy?

Ok.. I'll turn off the sarcasm now.:shocker:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Hmmmm....

Seems to me that seeing someone wearing a gaudy sash advertising the presence of a gun might scare someone... or even offend someone... perhaps even do permanent damage to a child's psyche as they wonder, likely for the rest of their lives, why they were subjected to the sight of a dork in a sash...

My God!!! Think of the children!!!!

So maybe it would be best to fold up that sash and carry it concealed so it can be whipped out at the last minute and "surprise" the bad guy?

Ok.. I'll turn off the sarcasm now.:shocker:

Now we'll have to have a CSP (Concealed Sash Permit) along with myriad and confusing laws on when / where you may conceal your sash. Maybe we can start an Open Carry Sash movement!:monkey

lil_freak_66

Highly doubt it, Michigan Open Carry sells shirts with arrows pointing to your hip that say "Nothing to hide" Which would also draw attention to your firearm.

The only thing I think they could possibly charge you with would be impersonating a police officer or government official.

i disagree with the impersonating charge,i feel that could only apply if your wearing a government badge,or reproduction of such,or if you treat a non government badge as if it is a government badge(saying its a police/fire fighter badge or something similar) given certain police departments track records with civilian carry,they could try and charge you but i highly doubt they would stick.

my opinion is that a CCW badge,while retarded, is completely legal.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
IF wearing a CCW/CPL badge could get you charged with impersonating, I'd be in trouble for wearing a security badge. Then of course, there's all the bail recovery agents too.

Personally, I think it's not a bad idea, IF it works as intended and lets the cops know you're one of the good guys. Problem is, most people will see the holder as playing wannabe cop.

It's the same crap I run into as a security guard.

The biggest problem with it, for every person who'd use one properly, there's probably 10 who'd go around playing "Hawaii 5-0." And that, we don't need.

stainless1911

Banned
A harassment magnet IMO. I would question the OCers motives. As far as the sash goes, whatever, that's just stupid. If you have to draw or fire, either give the police your description, or tell the bystanders to call the police and make absolutely certain that they give the police your description, the situation, and that you are a CPL holder. In this case, you may do well to say loudly that you have a "CCW", more people will know what you meant.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
My "understanding" of the original intent of the CCW/CPL badge is this: You keep the badge concealed just like the gun, until/unless you end up having to use your gun. It's intention is to be a quick way to identify yourself to responding officers that you have a CCW/CPL and are "one of the good guys." It's not really meant to be used to flash the entire world as you walk around, conducting your normal every day business.

To my mind, it's totally useless for an OCer. We don't need a permit/license to OC, except in some certain cases, like in a liquor store and such.

The problem with them, they lend themselves to easily to abuse. Some people are just going to be the type of person to wear a badge like that in a fashion where it is "inadvertently" noticed. THAT is why it's a bad idea. Otherwise, it would be a good idea.

Outdoorsman1

I have 2 hats....

1 Black with large white "SECURITY" on the front (I am not a security guard).
2 Black with large white "US BORDER PATROL" on the front.

Have not worn either while OC'ing....

We have a huge outdoor fla market in my area... about 90% of the people are of the non-american decent...I have often thought of wearing hat #2 there just for fun...obvioulsy NOT while carrying...

Outdoorsman1

Outdoorsman1

If you wear that hat to the flea market, you may NEED your protection piece...

Agreed... but I woud be concered with the hat and the weapon... some LEO having a bad day might charge try and me with impersonating a "US Border Patrol" agent...:lol:

Either that or with the weapon, maybe an illegal might think the hat is real as well and decide to make a stand right there... that would also not be good...

I think I will try just OC'ing there first to see what happens.. it is a every weekend event...

Outdoorsman1

MikeTheGreek

Personally, I think it's not a bad idea, IF it works as intended and lets the cops know you're one of the good guys. Problem is, most people will see the holder as playing wannabe cop.

Semi-good point, thing is theres no age, or CCW/CPL requirement to get one of these badges. They sell them online for 20-50$ to anybody with a credit card. You can get it wallet-style, or with a belt clip.

Half of the people who would wear them, would probably hope it made them look like a cop so they didn't get harrassed.

OC badge would make more sense, who wears a shiny gold badge saying they are hiding a firearm?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Semi-good point, thing is theres no age, or CCW/CPL requirement to get one of these badges. They sell them online for 20-50$ to anybody with a credit card. You can get it wallet-style, or with a belt clip.

Half of the people who would wear them, would probably hope it made them look like a cop so they didn't get harrassed.

OC badge would make more sense, who wears a shiny gold badge saying they are hiding a firearm?
I would direct you to my previous post above, #32 in this thread. It better explains the idea of the CCW/CPL badge. i.e., the idea is the badge would also be hidden until needed.

But as you point out, anyone can buy one. You don't even have to prove you have a permit/license to get the badge.

Honestly though, if I were going to impersonate a cop, I'd buy one that says "police" on it, not CCW permit holder. :)

Last edited:

Fishous

It doesn't really matter if it's legal or not. If a jury of 12 idiots THINKS you had the intention of impersonating an officer, you're in a bit of a bind. I bet 99.9% of the people out there think "badge = cop".

Can anyone name another license that has a badge associated with it? Not many I bet.

It just has more potential drawbacks than it does benefits.