• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL/CCW badge, legal? Or not.

bennymoo

CPL badge is it legal?

OK well before i get started i just want everyone to know that the term "CCW" it the charge of carrying a concelaed weapon. this is not concealed carry... the Correct term for this is "CPL" Concealed Pistol License.
That Being said i live near Cabelas and i see people all the time open carrying with a CPL badge. in fact i have done it myself several times with no problem at all. The people who try saying it isnt a good idea to carry a badge while carrying (Openly or Concealed) i don't know if they think the badge they use is the same shape or colors as the county badge or state even, i know the CPL badge i have doesn't resemble my county, local or state police badge. And it also doesn't have anything to do with police or officer.
Also the reason why people choose to open carry with a CPL is because there almost is no restriction on where u cant go with your handgun openly carrying. and by this i mean PFZ (Pistol Free Zones) only apply to people who conceal carry. open carry with your CPL Makes almost all the PFZ zones not apply to you (only if you open carry). I may not be an attorney or expert but recently i took my CPL class and our FIrearms attorney made this very clear the whole PFZ's only applies to carrying your handgun concealed. let me find a link to this.

Bronson

OK well before i get started i just want everyone to know that the term "CCW" it the charge of carrying a concelaed weapon. this is not concealed carry... the Correct term for this is "CPL" Concealed Pistol License.

Are you sure about that? I find it difficult to believe that soooo many CCW instructors, police, and concealed carriers have it wrong.

Also the reason why people choose to open carry with a CPL is because there almost is no restriction on where u cant go with your handgun openly carrying. and by this i mean PFZ (Pistol Free Zones) only apply to people who conceal carry. open carry with your CPL Makes almost all the PFZ zones not apply to you (only if you open carry).

This is a new and revolutionary idea. I suggest you do some research, put togeter a nice PowerPoint, and then present it to the group as this could change the face of open carry in MI. I like the cut of your jib.

recently i took my CPL class

That explains why you're so up on the newest things in OC. Well done.

Bronson

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That Being said i live near Cabelas and i see people all the time open carrying with a CPL badge. in fact i have done it myself several times with no problem at all. The people who try saying it isnt a good idea to carry a badge while carrying (Openly or Concealed) i don't know if they think the badge they use is the same shape or colors as the county badge or state even, i know the CPL badge i have doesn't resemble my county, local or state police badge. And it also doesn't have anything to do with police or officer.
Also the reason why people choose to open carry with a CPL is because there almost is no restriction on where u cant go with your handgun openly carrying. and by this i mean PFZ (Pistol Free Zones) only apply to people who conceal carry. open carry with your CPL Makes almost all the PFZ zones not apply to you (only if you open carry). I may not be an attorney or expert but recently i took my CPL class and our FIrearms attorney made this very clear the whole PFZ's only applies to carrying your handgun concealed. let me find a link to this.

Welcome to OCDO!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot. My first piece of advice to you is to read a little more before you attempt to educate people. There are numerous acronyms for permits to carry a concealed handgun. Depending on the state you are in it could be a CCW, CPL, CHL, CFL, PTC, LTCF, etc. They all mean the same thing. As for the rest of your post, it rambles a bit and I am having a hard time understanding the point you are trying to get across. There is no need to carry a "badge" if you OC, if you CC then carrying a visible badge defeats the purpose of CC.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Badge or no badge, if you OC in a PFZ, the police are still likely want to see your CPL so they know for sure you can carry there.

The ONLY way that badge keeps them away is if they THINK you're a LEO too. I OC with a CPL all day long, without a badge.

Badges?
We ain't got no badges.
We don't need no badges!
I don't have to show you any stinking badges! :D

Last edited:

HKcarrier

Are you sure about that? I find it difficult to believe that soooo many CCW instructors, police, and concealed carriers have it wrong.

This is a new and revolutionary idea. I suggest you do some research, put togeter a nice PowerPoint, and then present it to the group as this could change the face of open carry in MI. I like the cut of your jib.

That explains why you're so up on the newest things in OC. Well done.

Bronson

yo_dawg_at_first_i_was_like_RE_I_got_married_last_weekend-s480x867-63543.jpg

Well played Bronson.. well played. :D

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Getting back to them ridiculous sashes, I believe they could come in handy, especially at those inconvenient times when you realize there isn't a sheet of toilet tissue in the entire house!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

DanM

That Being said i live near Cabelas and i see people all the time open carrying with a CPL badge. in fact i have done it myself several times with no problem at all.

Please come to an OC gathering, wearing your nice, shiny CPL badge. Please, please, please. I'm dying to see such a sight!

Everyone else will ridicule you mercilessly, and you may leave crying and blowing snot-bubbles, but they really are good guys who mean well.

Be sure to also bring a dish to pass around. Hope to see ya soon!

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

I'm just happy to hear about a CPL class where the legalities of open carry like being able to carry in PFZ is taught to the class and not "once you get a CCW you can't open carry anymore."

*I used CCW intentionally

Gort

Problem
A Person that does not have a CPL, can get one of the CPL Badges ?.
Fraud
Legislation
State issued Badges
More rules, May be required
More money out of pocket

Just thinking, are they thinking too.

xmanhockey7

Problem
A Person that does not have a CPL, can get one of the CPL Badges ?.
Fraud
Legislation
State issued Badges
More rules, May be required
More money out of pocket

Just thinking, are they thinking too.

They're not talking about state issued they're talking about people purchasing these badges privately. I don't like the idea at all but to all their own.

Gort

They're not talking about state issued they're talking about people purchasing these badges privately. I don't like the idea at all but to all their own.

I agree this is a bad idea, A person with no cpl gets one of these badges, gets charged with Fraud, and carrying illegal, Legislators may start thinking that a control of Badges is in order, to stop this, and may create a State issued badge for everyone that Open Carry's. This will cost Open Carry persons money.

Hope the Cops, Lawyers, Judges, Legislators are not thinking, too.

Greyh Seer

Please come to an OC gathering, wearing your nice, shiny CPL badge. Please, please, please. I'm dying to see such a sight!

Everyone else will ridicule you mercilessly, and you may leave crying and blowing snot-bubbles, but they really are good guys who mean well.

Be sure to also bring a dish to pass around. Hope to see ya soon!

Wow...if this is how we as a group of OCers greats someone new, I'm not sure I want to be part of such a group...

For my part, I would suggest the poster PM me so I can try to set him up with a meeting to go over all of the questions he might have in person, or perhaps invite him to a seminar.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Wow...if this is how we as a group of OCers greats someone new, I'm not sure I want to be part of such a group...

For my part, I would suggest the poster PM me so I can try to set him up with a meeting to go over all of the questions he might have in person, or perhaps invite him to a seminar.
It's sad to say it, but I've seen similar conversations like this on other gun forums. They start out with someone asking about whether or not any one else thinks it's a good idea, and in the end, many times they get driven away by the ridicule.

My personal opinion, I think carrying concealed with a badge MIGHT be a good idea, assuming you conceal the badge also, and ONLY pull it out if you have an occasion to actually use your weapon in self defense. In that situation, it will most likely make most responding officers stop and think before assuming you're the bad guy, and blow you away by accident. But in all honesty, I think it's a bad idea to OC your weapon AND a badge. You might be seen as trying to impersonate a LEO.

Again, just my personal opinion.

jeremy05

I remember hearing a story about the best buy geek sqad getting badges and some employee using it to pull someone over LOL

Besides on the back of LEO badges it says this badge holds no authority without the proper credientals, or something like that.

Also we sell border patrol hats and boonie hats key chains just about anything with a bp logo on it, if anyone wants stuff like that the money goes to helping agents families when needed, flowers etc I dunno

DanM

Don't make teasing or disdain out to be worse than it is. And if anything deserves teasing and disdain, it is the wear of a visible badge while OC'ing, unless it is a required uniform item.

Such badge wear does not normalize non-LEO open carry with the public. The public sees a badge, near-certainly will assume a LEO is carrying, and we don't get the benefit of that public being aware that what they actually saw was a non-LEO going about responsibly and peaceably armed.

If a person, new to OC or not, can't take a little teasing, deserved or not, they may want to reassess whether or not they have the emotional strength to OC. Because OC'ing itself does have risk of bringing attention to you that may be a bit more challenging than mere teasing.

All that being said, let me reiterate the bottom line:

Such badge wear does not normalize non-LEO open carry with the public.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I remember hearing a story about the best buy geek sqad getting badges and some employee using it to pull someone over LOL

Besides on the back of LEO badges it says this badge holds no authority without the proper credientals, or something like that.

Also we sell border patrol hats and boonie hats key chains just about anything with a bp logo on it, if anyone wants stuff like that the money goes to helping agents families when needed, flowers etc I dunno
I looked up the story, the "victim" was a prostitute. There's no mention of the Geek Squad guy being arrested. Frankly, I have doubt as to the veracity of the story.
http://consumerist.com/2009/06/man-...rsonate-cop-coerce-sex-out-of-prostitute.html