• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need advice.

Mordis

HI, Its mordis, checking in after a long while. Im scared to post this, becuase of what happend but i need answeres. Nearly 2 years ago i was on my way to a bankruptcy hearing at the federal building and it was a bad day. I was having a major blowout fight with the wife and did something i reget and was rightfully arrested for. We were running late, and the fight we were having was just getting worse and worse. I made the mistake of hitting her, not very hard(no im not minimising the situation, i know it was wrong). I was caught on the camera and the security detained me and i was arrested. I went to jail for 2 days not knowing if i had afamily to come home to or not. I thought my marriage was over, my wife had other ideas. She and my parents and hers pitched in and got me a lawyer that showed up to my surprise at my hearing. He got me in the pre trial diversion and i went to the therapy classes for 26 weeks and as agreed the case was dis missed.

Now please before you eviscerate me, i am glad this happend. It forced me to at least begin to deal with my issues that i have, and to handle them in a far better way. The classes were awesome and i swore to turn my life around. Our marriage is stronger now, we are in a far better place. Sure we still have the occasional squables and fights that all couples have but, nothing like the scream matches we had before. On a side note, i have lost 53lbs as part of changing my life.

So, my lawyer said that this is gone from my record. My question is regards to the arrest record. How is that treated, I threw away my permit, seeing as i couldnt have my gun during the classes. I never recieved any letters or notifications for the state police saying my permit was revoked, so to my knowldge i still have it. I just need to get a new copy of it. So My question is, say im carrying and i get pulled over, how much more trouble is this going to cuase me for the rest of my life. I dont know if i can have the arrest removed from the police computers. WIll this be a hassle i have to deal with for ever or just a lesson learned and a memory i can forget.

Golden Eagle

I'm assuming you mean you had a live time LTCH?
Maybe simply say you lost your license and see if the state sends you another or say its been suspended.
It might be that simple to get an answer but I'm from Mich so first see if anyone agrees with me.

Mordis

No i had a regular 4 year permit. I never got any notifications saying i was having it revoked. SO im going to just say i lost mine and need another copy. My main question is, how will this affect what the cops computer says? I just hope not to get a cop in a bad mood becuase of a computer entry.

Alude904

Not sure what your state laws are but in florida if you are arrested for aggrivated battery or domestic violence, you lose your ability to have a license forever. Like i said thats just florida law so idk about your state. Glad to hear you are turning your life around.

hogeaterf6

If you are not convicted then I think you will be alright. Not positive but maybe a call to the State Police will help. do not carry it with you if you dont have your permit. You need a permit to carry. When do you think it expieres? Call the ISP and get answeres. If they will not grant you one maybe you will be able to get a Utah non resident issues. Do you have a police friend that can run your drivers lic for you?

When we went broke i caught the (ex)wife with another man. I have empathy/sympathy the pressures you went through.

Mordis

Thank you all, for not being to harsh on me. I know i violated one of the major rules of being a man. As i said, getting arrested was for the best. Things are so much better now. Aye i was not convicted, it never went to trial. They dismissed or what ever the term is after i completed my classes. I havnt gone i a while, but i am contemplateing going back and volunteering. Tho my wife wants to forget the whole thing and rather i not go back ever.

So, being that i live in the county, were do i send my money order and address request change?

brboyer

Not sure what your state laws are but in florida if you are arrested for aggrivated battery or domestic violence, you lose your ability to have a license forever. Like i said thats just florida law so idk about your state. Glad to hear you are turning your life around.

You are incorrect.

A conviction for DV will prevent you from ever possessing a firearm or ammunition (and a CWFL) for life.

Agg. Battery arrest will not. No arrest will.

Last edited:

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Indiana State Police website info and forms here: http://www.in.gov/isp/index.htm

Or call the ISP Handgun License Division @ (317) 232-8264 to see if you can order a duplicate ($20 I think)

or if it expired, you'll likely need to reapply online or through your local county Sheriff.

Alude904

You are incorrect.

A conviction for DV will prevent you from ever possessing a firearm or ammunition (and a CWFL) for life.

Agg. Battery arrest will not. No arrest will.

Yeah you are right. Thats what i meant to say but didnt say it right. Thanks for correcting.

cce1302

Looks like you've gotten the advice you need, so I'll just say I'm glad you owned up, corrected yourself & moved on.

Also, you are fortunate to have a wife who is willing to stay with you through the hard times.

ralphb72

Sorry you went through what you did, but I'm glad for you that you worked through it and your marriage is stronger now then ever!

As the others said, call the State Police and get your answers, but remember that they are not your legal representatives so ask your lawyer to check it for you.

MKEgal

Slightly off the gun topic...
As I've dated, I've told my partners that they get one major relationship-ending screw-up 'free'.
One.
(One "I don't know what came over me, I'll never hurt you again",
or one "but honey, she kissed me",
or something similar.)
The next time something happens, we're splitsville.
(Only had something major bad happen more than once in one relationship. Of course, that was before I started carrying, too...:rolleyes: )
Sounds like you've used your get out of jail free card, and are making the best of your second chance.
Good for you. :D