• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DPS Says NM Permit Now Required For Residents

PracticalTactical

Let me sum up simply

Let me sum this up more clearly, now that I'm over the initial pissed off phase:

They are concerned, for whatever reason, about NM residents carrying in NM on non-NM permits/licenses. I get that.

They pushed the legislature to change the law to require NM residents to get NM permits if they want to carry in NM. Legislature didn't do it.

Instead of respecting the law, they found a way to reinterpret the law to make ALL out of state permits invalid, and then say they only intend to enforce this interpretation against NM residents.

But they could, in theory, enforce it against anybody they wanted to. So, instead of rule of law, we have rule of men (with guns). This is NEW Mexico, not Mexico. We can't put up with this kind of behavior out of people in government if we want a good society.

If I were from out of state carrying on my home state permit, this would concern me, knowing that technically I could be arrested for carrying at any time and that if I am in a place that sells alcohol it could be a felony arrest. If I were an official in a state that recognizes New Mexico, I might reconsider a reciprocity agreement until NM decided they wanted to fully and safely recognize permits from my state.

I can understand that they want NM residents to get 15 hours of training, but if they want to go about that they need to obey the law like the rest of us instead of changing the rules mid-game on a technicality to get what they want but the legislature wouldn't give them.

The cost of doing this kind of thing illegitimately is too high. The risks of doing this sort of thing far outweigh any public safety benefit that might be gained from allowing this sort of thing to go on.

AH.74

Practical,

Until I see or hear actual word of their intent to enforce this "policy" change, I am going to take this as a bunch of hot air being blown by a bunch of blowhards.

They need to put something in writing not only to make the public aware, but also to inform law enforcement of how to do the enforcement.

Otherwise they are opening themselves up to great liabilities. I do not think people will put up with it, and the new Governor seems like she sure as heck won't.

PracticalTactical

Not yet. I sent a request to the governor and DPS head to look into it and get it straightened out. Haven't heard back yet.

Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

RogueWarrior

If this happens then I'm screwed NM WILL NOT issue a CCW to a non USA Citizen I'm a legal resident and I know I can open carry but there are places i want to carry my weapon into so I want to ask this who do I contact to see why they discriminate against non USA citizens but who are LEGAL permanent residents

Last edited:

PracticalTactical

If this happens then I'm screwed NM WILL NOT issue a CCW to a non us Citizen I'm a legal resident and I know I can open carry but there are places i want to carry my weapon into so I want to ask this who do I contact to see why they discriminate against non US citizens but who are LEGAL permanent residents

Which is why I'm hoping they don't do it this way. There are many people in your boat.

There are also people who move in from AZ and TX who want to keep carrying while waiting for their NM license.

Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

fuelsmech

I wonder if there will be a clause for military. considering most military don't change there residency it might suck.

RogueWarrior

Why Florida? State fees are double AZ, and AZ is about as widely recognized.

where would I find an instructor around here that teaches AZ CCW course

mrjam2jab

where would I find an instructor around here that teaches AZ CCW course

Don't need an AZ specific course.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.

awnuts

You live here in New Mexico support New Mexico.I can care less of giving my money to utah or any other state. I'm not ever worried about here because I have the NM CCW. Coming from chicago to live here I feel I have more gun rights than I know what to do with. You live here you should support here its thats simple. Otherwise move to another state you think offers better I did. Far as I know the idea for the Utah license was to expand your state coverages in case you travel. Well I see it unless your traveling all the time why?

AH.74

If you had read the entire thread before posting, you would see why he is asking about getting an AZ permit.

As far as traveling goes, you never think about going to any other places? The NM permit is not recognized in several states that the AZ permit is- if you happen to want to go to one of those places, you're good to carry. Does that make sense?

awnuts

Ok And I dont feel that I might need to carry a gun all the time either.Sometimes I dont. And I guess it doesnt make sense to support your home state lol.

RogueWarrior

Ok And I dont feel that I might need to carry a gun all the time either.Sometimes I dont. And I guess it doesnt make sense to support your home state lol.

I would get a NM CCW if they would issue one to a non US citizen I'm a permanent resident IE green card holder and they will not issue one to a person like me

SIGguy229

I'm of the opposite opinion; I think that if you want to CC in your state, you should have that states carry license. If you live in NM you can't register to vote in Utah, if you live in Texas you can't register your car in Vermont, if you live in New York you don't pay California taxes, if you move to Washington you get a Washington drivers licence. Where you live is what law you're subject to. Why would you spend your money in another state? Don't you want YOUR cops properly funded?

By this flawed reasoning, I guess if you're driving jn another state, you should have that states drivers license, right? Or don't you want to make sure the state DOT is properly funded? Doesn't make sense, does it?

awnuts

Till we ever get a unified license we gotta deal with this issue. If all states honored home state cc then theres no prob.I see this point but my point is get your home state license and support your state.If you need 20 other licenses to carry gee get them too I guess.Just doesnt make sense to me unless you gotta have a gun 24/7 and carry everywhere you go. Hope no one gets a panic attack going into places you cant carry.

AH.74

It is not a question of "support". It is a question of what works best for your needs. You're essentially paying for a privilege, so you can choose what works best for you within the limitations. If that means getting another state's permit, that's a personal choice- if it works.

Now, within the context of this thread, do you support what the DPS people are trying to do, to advance their own personal agendas by thinking they are allowed to reinterpret laws and bypass the legislature?

turbodog

They're interpreting it to mean that one must have the license issued directly from the DPS, and not just be compliant with the act by having a recognized license. Apparently something happened recently to make them change their stance down at DPS. $$$$

You hit the nail on the head with the "$$$$".

Louisiana has done the same thing with it's decision to no longer honor Florida out-of-state permits. (still honors it's reciprocity with in-state FL permits) LA. figures too many residents were CCing here on a FL permit. Louisiana says we want the money your giving to Florida, so we'll require you to get a LA. permit in order to get that money.

mark-in-texas

By this flawed reasoning, I guess if you're driving jn another state, you should have that states drivers license, right? Or don't you want to make sure the state DOT is properly funded? Doesn't make sense, does it?

No, That's not what I said....I live in Texas, I have a Texxas DL so Texas roads get my money to be maintained; you folks in other states pay for your own. My Texas CHL fee makes sure Texas law enforcement gets my money. My DL is valid everywhere in the USA, my CHL is only recognized in 32 states (don't get me started on THAT rant!!). I don't have my Tx CHL because I HAVE to, but because I WANT to. I think some states have come to the realization that they're loosing money with citizens of their state obtaining an out-of-state carry permit. I'm of the opinion that those people who've exercised that practice have, in effect, shot themselves in the foot.