Thread: Oklahoma House committee does not pass open-carry bill

Oklahoma House committee does not pass open-carry bill

snip

A measure that would have allowed residents with concealed handgun permits to carry their weapons in the open failed to pass Wednesday out of a House committee.

snip

http://newsok.com/after-open-carry-b...rticle/3556140

That sucks, I thought you guys would get it this year. I damn vote!

Odds are it was Oklahoma's NRA branch, affiliate, or whatever it is. They sent out a letter opposing this measure.

[/sarcasm]Thank god we have gun rights groups that protect our rights.[/sarcasm off]

It was the ORA and I don't think the are related to the nra

Rep. Paul Roan said in the article something about how 20% of officers killed on duty are shot with their own gun so he wants retention training. You know that LEOs have a higher rate of ADs than privat gun carriers don't you? Most often in the restroom. They take a dump and pull their gun out while on the pot to play with it like a little kid. That's not a retention problem. It's a stupid problem. I have a close friend who's an OK trooper and when I mentioned that fact to him, he agreed that most of the folks he works with take their gun belt off and lay it on the counter then bring their gun into the stall with them unholstered. That's when they end up jacking with it and having an AD. This has nothing to do with retention. I've been scouring for stories where a BG has taken a firearm from a LAC and done harm but can't. Also, if more people where carrying and a BG took citizen 1's gun, maybe citizen 2 could take care of him.

Quote Originally Posted by WCrawford View Post
    Odds are it was Oklahoma's NRA branch, affiliate, or whatever it is. They sent out a letter opposing this measure.

[/sarcasm]Thank god we have gun rights groups that protect our rights.[/sarcasm off]
    Are you sure it was NRA related, I thought it was an OK gun group?

Not yet dead....

This bill is not yet dead as the media would have you think.

Start at post 65 and read on for more info

I figured there would be something about weapons retention in there since that's one of the things they wanted in Rep Tibbs Bill. I want to know how they are going to enforce retention training on those of us who already have a CWL.
    Last edited by hrdware; 04-07-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    It was the ORA and I don't think the are related to the nra
    You mean these guys?

http://www.oklarifle.org/

State Affiliate of the National Rifle Association Affiliate of the Civilian Marksmanship Program Founded in 1927.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim675 View Post
    You mean these guys?

http://www.oklarifle.org/

State Affiliate of the National Rifle Association Affiliate of the Civilian Marksmanship Program Founded in 1927.
    Yes and I retract my last statement, though I wonder if the nra would actually agree with them if they were to know what they were saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Yes and I retract my last statement, though I wonder if the nra would actually agree with them if they were to know what they were saying.
    Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think the NRA would oppose any OC without training if their board was comprised of people who make their living through training.

Quote Originally Posted by WCrawford View Post
    Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think the NRA would oppose any OC without training if their board was comprised of people who make their living through training.
    But I wouldn't expect them to give such blatant misinformation as it being illegal for people under 21 to own handguns. I would be curious as to what their view would be on a law that allowed the carry of rifles/shotguns as I would expect them to support it.