Thread: Our friends in Oklahoma handed a defeat

Our friends in Oklahoma handed a defeat

Unfortunately it appears as though 1 vote will prevent OC from being legal in OK.

snip

A measure that would have allowed residents with concealed handgun permits to carry their weapons in the open failed to pass Wednesday out of a House committee.

snip

http://newsok.com/after-open-carry-b...rticle/3556140

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Not yet, they still will try. Here are two responses from an OK representative on the issue. Both taken from OCDOís OK forum.

James,

We are going to make a few changes and request reconsideration next week. If that fails, SB129 will be dead for this year. I am about 85% confident that we can get this to the floor.

Representative Steve Martin

James,

I wonít be drafting the changes. The person who will be drafting them will make those decisions based on input she receives from committee members. I can tell you a few areas of concern raised in committee questions:

There is no required weapon retention training in the concealed carry curriculum. Fear was expressed that criminals could easily disarm a private citizen since trained law enforcement officers are often disarmed.

The bill doesnít require locking holsters which could cause accidents or assist the aforementioned criminals in disarming the citizen.

Probably the most concern was expressed over the fact that a law enforcement officer would not be able to request to see the permit based solely on the fact that a person was openly carrying a firearm. This was also an issue last year when Rex Duncan was presenting the bill, but it passed over that objection at the time.

Understand that I donít share these concerns, but I would like to have the ability to carry a decent sized pistol in something other than my pocket, so I am willing to address them.

Representative Steve Martin
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Thank for the update Ven, looks like anything they pass may be watered down pretty good.