• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knowing the path vs walking the path / Fear+Denial and it's role with anti-gunners

since9

Campaign Veteran
Most of us are all too familiar with the first half of the title of this thread. It recently occurred to me that most of those who won't walk the path before them is because they're afraid of the path. People don't like to live in fear, and tend to rationalize it by saying to themselves, "that's not my path." Some go further and actively campaign against the path.

As noted in my signature, ours is a republic, if we can keep it. Many are afraid of what it takes to keep it, so after rationalizing things away, they come to the errant conclusion that it's government's job to protect them and their freedoms, and the government is all too happy to step further into that role, for a price: "Taxes, please."

If our government is too large, it's because the sheeple want it that way.

However, last night on the evening news with Brian Williams, Todd (somethingorother) revealed some surprising results of a recent poll. Basically, both Dems and Republications were asked how they felt about the rolls of their Congressional party representatives with respect to government spending. As you know, Republicans are calling for deep cuts, while the Dems are calling for shallow cuts.

The results:
Most Republications want their party's Congressmembers to hold their ground.
Most Democrats want their party's Congressmembers to give up some ground and work together better so as to achieve a sustainable government budget.

Conclusion: Members of both parties think government spending is out of control and unsustainable. Such is the desired path of our Republic, according to its People.

Getting back to the topic, another part of our Republic is unsustainable, and that's government "protection" for its citizens. It's smacks of organized crime's "protectionism" gone legit in the form of more and more costly services most of us simply don't need, but which the big spenders at the local, state, and federal levels have simply forced down out throats.

Our protection, first and foremost, begins with an armed and well-trained populace. WE are the first responders, whether it's fighting crime, fighting fire, or dealing with the scene of an accident or medical emergency. The actions we take during the first few seconds have saved as many lives as all the official police/fire/medical responders combined.

That's the true nature of a Republic: In all things, it begins with We, The People, and extends outwards and upwards from there. A republic's government doesn't exist to lead its people. It exists to serve them, and that fact is embedded in every aspect of our nation, from its various oaths of office, to what's printed on the side of most police cars, to the very fact that we refer to our military as "The Service," and to those who have served in our Armed Forces.

Our role as Americans is as first-responders. When it comes to crime, it's difficult to respond effectively unless our Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms is respected in all facets of our lives, and in all places where we might travel, whether it's to the corner grocery store, or to the other side of our Country.

XD40coyote

Good points. Of course I am still stuck in this slave state that calls itself the free state...at least my rural neighbors are mainly libertarians, "you do your thing, I'll do mine, just don't get too carried away that you actually irk me". Even 3 hours of target shooting doesn't irk anyone. I didn't even care when I was near the one neighbor's and their one boy kept going round and round on a 4 wheeler. Nope, I just trimmed my saplings and weedy stuff and prepped up my next season's deer hunting blind location. I was so focused on deer hunting things that I just didn't care about the usually annoying 4 wheeler noise. Their kids better not be doing that in hunting season though! But the deer are probably used to it too!

since9

Campaign Veteran
...at least my rural neighbors are mainly libertarians, "you do your thing, I'll do mine, just don't get too carried away that you actually irk me".

Sorry to hear of the noise issues... When I was a child, my father often told me, "You can swing a cat all you want, until it affects others. It matters not whether you hit them with the cat itself, feces, flying fur, or the fuss (noise) made by the cat. If any of that hits another person, it's time to put down the cat.

I spent two years in the dorms in college, and another fourteen years since 1983 living in various apartment buildings. My neighbors have usually been courteous, but on occasion, I've had some real jerks as neighbors, usually involving watching movies with thundering bass at 3 am. One of my downstairs neighbors smokes like a fiend, and as no apartment is hermetically sealed, that smoke drifts up through tiny cracks in the floor (his ceiling) and for the last two months has been turning my spare bedroom and bathroom into an olfactory ashtray. It's usually vacant, and I'm running the bathroom exhaust fan 24/7 to keep it from coming into the rest of the apartment, but I don't want my son, who is visiting me in two weeks, to walk into his room and puke.

The smell is really that bad.

Unfortunately, the apartment complex isn't willing to life a finger. The maintenance guy suggests I buy an air freshener! I'm sorry, but I'm not only allergic to cigarette smoke, I'm also allergic to most perfumes, and they're unable to accept the fact that my lease contains absolutely no requirement whereby I must willingly subject myself to either noise or air pollution caused by my neighbors!

Getting back to the fear/denial issue...

Despite the results of the poll, which showed that the vast majority of Americans from both parties want smaller government, Obama stuck his nose where it didn't belong (Congress) yet again, and got the Republicans to cave.

Oh, by the way, the $38.5 Billion both parties are heralding is a huge misnomer (lie). Read more, here. It's actually about 1/100th that amount (only $352 Million).

So, progress? NONE. Thanks, Obooba. You're a real friend of the American people.

NOT.

Last edited:

Claytron

Wow. Obooba, thats original. Sometimes it seems like the only reason some people bitch and moan about the president is so they can pop up with some completely retarded and totally trendy comment about his name.

IMO, complaining about the president without proving how other presidents have done a better job really makes that person look ignorant.