Thread: transfering handgun ownership

transfering handgun ownership

Hello New Mexico, My dad just bought a handgun from a buddy of his. He wants to know how do they transfer ownership to register the gun in his name?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    There is no gun registration in New Mexico.

He might want a simple letter of transfer for future reference, but that is a matter of convenience/courtesy and definitely not mandatory.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

What Grapeshot said. There is no regulation of private sales other than the seller not having reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person. Once the money and gun changed hands, that's it- done deal.

transfeing handgun ownership

Thanks for the replies, do you guys know if Texas has the same rules? I think he registered the gun in el paso tx.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    He may have had a permit to carry, but there is no registration of guns in Texas either.
    http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_tx.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Myself I drew up a bill of sale and use it to transfer. I ask is your drivers license number.The information used on my form is the
    date
    drivers lic, number
    name of buyer
    name of seller
    description of weapon sold
    price sold
    and a disclaimer stating that this transaction releases me of any interests in weapon or liabilty.
    Both signatures

My reason is that I may not know you personally and you could go commit a crime and the police will come to me as the registered buyer.Or it prevents me from calling in a stolen weapon. It provides you with a bill of sale and reciept.And I think its just responsible protection for both parties.
    Last edited by awnuts; 04-12-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The two parties involved (buyer/seller) must be residents of the same state, or the transfer must go through an FFL - in the buyer's state of residence for handguns.
    What if I want to give a handgun as a gift to someone that lives in another state? (Alabama)