• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

transfering handgun ownership

utpb52

Hello New Mexico, My dad just bought a handgun from a buddy of his. He wants to know how do they transfer ownership to register the gun in his name?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is no gun registration in New Mexico.

He might want a simple letter of transfer for future reference, but that is a matter of convenience/courtesy and definitely not mandatory.

AH.74

What Grapeshot said. There is no regulation of private sales other than the seller not having reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person. Once the money and gun changed hands, that's it- done deal.

utpb52

transfeing handgun ownership

Thanks for the replies, do you guys know if Texas has the same rules? I think he registered the gun in el paso tx.

awnuts

Myself I drew up a bill of sale and use it to transfer. I ask is your drivers license number.The information used on my form is the
date
drivers lic, number
name of buyer
name of seller
description of weapon sold
price sold
and a disclaimer stating that this transaction releases me of any interests in weapon or liabilty.
Both signatures

My reason is that I may not know you personally and you could go commit a crime and the police will come to me as the registered buyer.Or it prevents me from calling in a stolen weapon. It provides you with a bill of sale and reciept.And I think its just responsible protection for both parties.

Last edited: