• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Budget Tac vest help

elixin77

Hey fellow OC'ers,

I've recently acquired a vest: this vest to be exact. I understand it's not a top notch vest, however, the vest I received is in fairly good condition, and its something I can afford to get me started (until I start earning the big bucks :))

I also have this shotgun holster that I have on the (my) back right side.

I am looking to fit the rest of this vest out with various odds and ends, but with the amount of pouches, holsters, ammo pouches, and what nots, it's a bit daunting, and I find it hard to know exactly what I should get.

What I'm looking for out of this vest:
-This is my grab vest for when SHTF. While I won't necessarily be wearing it, it will be the first thing that gets packed up if it's not on me personally
-Not looking to be the next crazy mall ninja either (read: I don't want to be the next Gecko45, lol)
-This vest will also specifically be for if and when the blue hats show up, or any other situation that *forces* me to engage
-Would be nice if I can compete with this vest as well, but I'm at a loss for what competition would involve "suiting up"
-My go-to gun is a Mini 14. This means that I am using 20 round magazines (as the 30 rounders are not reliable - reliability is the key for me)
-My budget is limited (college student). With the gear I have already found, I will be able to purchase it over the next month or so, and the vest will be good to go. So nothing uber expensive, please
-I am open to the option of installing a drop thigh set up for both my pistol and dump pouch
-I prefer OD Green in color choices, but if a specific piece of gear isn't available in OD, then I'll live

Gear/pouches I have found on my own that I believe I need (all MOLLE gear)
-25 round shotgun pouch
-Triple 20 rounder mag pouch for 5.56 (I only have 4 mags right now, but I am thinking about purchasing more, thinking about getting either a double or singles for future mags)
-1911 8 mag pouch (need a couple more mags to fill completely)
-Small radio pouch
-Multi-purpose pouch (maps, pen, paper, odds and ends)
-Hydration Pouch (not entirely important, as I already have a camelback, and there is a pouch in the vest that I can use to hold a hydration bladder, however, I still plan on purchasing one)
-Dump pouch (don't know if I want it drop leg or not; open to ideas)
-Personal First Aid pouch
-Belt with War Belt

I believe I was able to cover just about everything, but having another set of eyes looking at what I plan to purchase is always helpful. Am I missing anything at all, that could be of some use? I am open to any ideas, however, please keep in mind I have a budget to stick to, and can't afford to spend triple digits on one piece of gear.

Also, post pics if you got em :monkey

Last edited: