• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

*stolen handgun* high point

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
I had a Springfield XDm ,40 stolen out of my jeep.

It's OD Green with stainless steel slide.

(i already filed a report with the PD)

The last 4 numbers of the serial are ****0981

OPEN_CARRY_06xx1_22a.jpg

67439_486666391202_509696202_7449321_6243237_n.jpg

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

That's awful, man.

Um, I'd post just the last 3-4 digits of your serial number if you like, but I have seen guns online with serials visible. Since this is an online board and messages are retained, the prudent thing might be to post part of the number to aid those who might see it who read this board.

I hope they find it and you get it back in perfect shape, unfired!!

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

That sucks! I hope you find it. Was the gun locked up in a box in the jeep?

muccione

that SUCKS.....

If it was mine....I would look at the people that know I carry and keep it in my vehicle....

Jerry1981

Sorry to hear that. I always worry about leaving mine in the car. What I was thinking of doing is getting one of those little Gun Vaults that has a steel cable that I can attach to the frame of my seat and just slide it under the seat when Its in there. Just a thought for ya because I was considering now I think I definitely will make the investmend into the safe.

tomtaurus

Sorry to hear about your gun. I keep watching for you at Stameys. How about another meet up soon? I will watch for your gun in Greensboro. A lot of stuff shows up here.

REDFIVE48

I installed a metal trunk behind my rear seat, even with the top off, can't get in there unless you cut through the metal or you can get the tailgate open. Sorry to hear about the loss, yet another reason to get rid of all the "Victim Disarmament Zones" / "Leave you gun in the car for criminals to steal" areas.

billv

Sorry to head the gun was stolen. That sucks.

I'm curious where the Jeep was parked when this happened? Parking lot of a restaurant that serves alcohol? Had to park somewhere else because otherwise your firearm was unwelcome?

moonie

preble, I heard about this from my son who is a friend of yours. I am truely sorry this happened. When he first told me I thought it might have been your new DW, just about had me in tears as I still miss my 445SM DW.

Hopefully you will get it back, and soon. I'm still looking forward to meeting you and shooting with you.

CarryHard

sorry this happened but i have 2 suggestions

1 bring the gun with you unloaded and the slide LOCKED open

carry it in a bag or something
dont bring any ammo / magazines with you

or number 2

bring a cable lock, take the mag out
feed the cable through the gun frame then through your seat frame

the only way there getting it is
1 cut through your seat or try and unbolt it (very unlikely)

or 2 try and cut through the gun frame (again would be very unlikely)

or 3 trying to break the lock (again would take time even with nice full size bolt cutters)

Last edited:

rdinatal

Reading this I'm thinking 'I hope a SN check turns it up'. But... Aren't some here vocal about a LEO doing a SN check to see if a handgun is stolen?!?

Personally I'm ok (sort of) with the check as long as it's not recorded (the caveat of 'sort of'). Guess you can say I'm a fence sitter on this.

A stolen cell phone is checked every time a provider signs the ESN up for a plan.
A car is checked (the plates) to be stolen at each LEO stop.
Why can't an every day Joe check a SN??
I have seen some deals (NOT too good to be true deals) but have not bought due to the 'unknown'...

Hope you get it back.

-R

Dreamer

Reading this I'm thinking 'I hope a SN check turns it up'. But... Aren't some here vocal about a LEO doing a SN check to see if a handgun is stolen?!

I think he was referring to pawn attempts. It is required that all pawn brokers who buy firearms run the SNs through state databases to see if they have been reported stolen. Luckily, in NC, if a pawned gun comes up stolen, the police usually try to get it back to the rightful owner.

In some states (like MD) they often slate the gun for destruction if it comes up stolen...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Reading this I'm thinking 'I hope a SN check turns it up'. But... Aren't some here vocal about a LEO doing a SN check to see if a handgun is stolen?!?

I don't know any here that give blanket disapproval to serial number checks.

The objection is suspicionless serial number checks.

CarryHard

The safe with the cable that you can get on cabelas can be cur with needle nose pliers

you can buy a good lock for 10-20$ at any store including wal-mart

the truth is nobody is going to spend time trying to steal a gun knowing full well that its locked and going to be an obstacle in most instances

unless you park your car in a corn field with nobody around and leave it there for a week

but if your at a restaurant you cant OC in
just lock it in your car to a seat bracket..

smlawrence

That really sux dude.... I couldn't imagine having my XDm stolen from me. I hope they get caught and the gun gets returned to you before it gets sold to a murderer or something. Thats why I really hate leaving one in the truck cause locks and closed windows are only meant to keep out honest criminals. If you don't like the other ideas for safes and cables then depending on what year jeep it is, you might be able to create a secret compartment in the console or something that would at least hide it very well. I helped a buddy with one in his 08 Jeep Wrangler. Good luck.

CarryHard

IS this actually you?

OPEN_CARRY_06xx1_22a.jpg

Because if it is i would suspect someone targeted you
because everyone knew you had that gun because of that news story

& i was reading the 70+ comments on it and alot of the people didn't seem to like the idea of you owning a gun

If anyone stole it i would bet it is someone who didn't want you having it!!!!

Last edited: