Thread: GR Press Article: Campus Carry

GR Press Article: Campus Carry

Should concealed weapons be on campus? GVSU students among those pushing to change pistol-free zone laws...

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...ons_be_on.html
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Should concealed weapons be on campus? GVSU students among those pushing to change pistol-free zone laws...

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...ons_be_on.html
    According to the article obtaining a concealed-carry permit can cost upward of $1,000.

Boy my 250.00 was a deal!
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Quote Originally Posted by Onnie View Post
    According to the article obtaining a concealed-carry permit can cost upward of $1,000.

I believe he was adding the cost of a good gun.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

I am amazed at the comments of the anti's....

OF course there is a miniscule chance that anyone would have to use their weapon.. but who do you think you are to say that we can't?

People gave examples of smoke detectors... CPR training... etc... I think those are good analogies....

I just can't believe the anti-thought process.... You don't need a gun because I say so and so you can't have one. I'm not hurting anyone by carrying...

"Most students are younger than 21, he said, and obtaining a concealed-carry permit can cost upward of $1,000."

That's some CPL class!!
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    "Most students are younger than 21, he said, and obtaining a concealed-carry permit can cost upward of $1,000."

That's some CPL class!!
    That's in Co-Ed dollars.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Onnie View Post

Maybe people will be more inclined to OC instead of CC if they believe this? Then, perhaps people would be more inclined to get rid of the "Target Rich Environments" for those who choose to OC w/out a CPL.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Is there a law which allows colleges and universities to "enact certain regulations that can override state law" on gun possession? I seem to remember it being discussed, but I couldn't find anything through Search
    I'm not a lawyer, psychologist, or LEO. This means, don't rely on my opinion to work for you.
    But I am a railroad conductor.
    “Breathes their a man with a soul so dead, that does not thrill to the sound of a passing train?”

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrabber View Post
    Is there a law which allows colleges and universities to "enact certain regulations that can override state law" on gun possession? I seem to remember it being discussed, but I couldn't find anything through Search
    MCL 123.1101 Et Seq doesn't prohibit colleges, ergo it's allowed.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Besides MCL 123.1101 Et Seq., a college, university, community college, or junior college described in Section 4, 5, or 6 of Article VIII of the State Constitution of 1963 or established under Section 7 of Article VIII of the State Constitution of 1963, have been able to avoid coming under many laws.

The Constitution gives the universities and colleges the ability to manage/control their campuses...these provisions being stated under each of the sections in the Michigan Constitution:

• Article VIII, Section 4 of the Constitution requires the Legislature to
    appropriate moneys to maintain certain named institutions (the University of
    Michigan, Michigan State University, Wayne State University, Eastern
    Michigan University, Michigan Technological University, and Grand Valley
    State University) and other institutions of higher education established by law.

• Article VIII, Section 5 of the Constitution prescribes governing boards for the
    University of Michigan (Regents), Michigan State University (Board of
    Trustees), and Wayne State University (Board of Governors), and grants to
    each board general supervision of its institution.

• Article VIII, Section 6 of the Constitution specifies that other institutions of
    higher education established by law having authority to grant baccalaureate
    degrees are to be governed by a board of control with general supervision of
    the institution. The Governor appoints board members.

• Article VIII, Section 7 of the Constitution provides for the establishment and
    financial support of public community and junior colleges that are supervised
    and controlled by locally-elected boards.

* MSU appears to follow state law in regards to non-residents of the campus:
    Michigan State University
    18.00 FIREARMS OR WEAPONS
    18.01 Possession prohibited; exceptions
    18.02 Use of chemicals prohibited
    18.03 Use prohibited; exceptions
    18.04 Not applicable to police officers
    18.05 Relationship to University policy
    01 Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon anywhere upon property governed by the Board. Persons residing on property governed by the Board shall store any and all firearms and weapons with the Department of Police and Public Safety.
    02 No person shall possess any chemical, biological, radioactive, or other dangerous substance or compound, with the intent of using the same to injure, molest, or coerce another, anywhere upon property governed by the Board.
    03 The use of any firearm or weapon is prohibited upon property governed by the Board except those areas specifically set aside and supervised at range facilities, or as part of the regular education process, or as outlined in Ordinance 37.02 and its subsections.
    .04 This ordinance shall not apply to Police Officers and other legally established law enforcement officers.
    05 This ordinance does not alter the terms of any University policies that regulate the use or possession of firearms.
    Enacted: September 15, 1964 Amended: December 11, 1987 Amended: December 10, 1994 Amended:
    April 14, 1995 Amended: April 12, 2002 Amended: June 19, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post

That's some CPL class!!
    Magpul Dynamic Handgun 1 and course 2.

Nuff said.

Banned
    Isn't the constitution supposed to "agree" with itself?