• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GR Press Article: Campus Carry

HKcarrier

I am amazed at the comments of the anti's....

OF course there is a miniscule chance that anyone would have to use their weapon.. but who do you think you are to say that we can't?

People gave examples of smoke detectors... CPR training... etc... I think those are good analogies....

I just can't believe the anti-thought process.... You don't need a gun because I say so and so you can't have one. I'm not hurting anyone by carrying...

TheQ

"Most students are younger than 21, he said, and obtaining a concealed-carry permit can cost upward of $1,000."

That's some CPL class!!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
According to the article obtaining a concealed-carry permit can cost upward of $1,000.

Boy my 250.00 was a deal!:lol::lol:

Maybe people will be more inclined to OC instead of CC if they believe this? Then, perhaps people would be more inclined to get rid of the "Target Rich Environments" for those who choose to OC w/out a CPL.

TheGrabber

Is there a law which allows colleges and universities to "enact certain regulations that can override state law" on gun possession? I seem to remember it being discussed, but I couldn't find anything through Search

TheQ

Is there a law which allows colleges and universities to "enact certain regulations that can override state law" on gun possession? I seem to remember it being discussed, but I couldn't find anything through Search

MCL 123.1101 Et Seq doesn't prohibit colleges, ergo it's allowed.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Besides MCL 123.1101 Et Seq., a college, university, community college, or junior college described in Section 4, 5, or 6 of Article VIII of the State Constitution of 1963 or established under Section 7 of Article VIII of the State Constitution of 1963, have been able to avoid coming under many laws.

The Constitution gives the universities and colleges the ability to manage/control their campuses...these provisions being stated under each of the sections in the Michigan Constitution:

• Article VIII, Section 4 of the Constitution requires the Legislature to
appropriate moneys to maintain certain named institutions (the University of
Michigan, Michigan State University, Wayne State University, Eastern
Michigan University, Michigan Technological University, and Grand Valley
State University) and other institutions of higher education established by law.

• Article VIII, Section 5 of the Constitution prescribes governing boards for the
University of Michigan (Regents), Michigan State University (Board of
Trustees), and Wayne State University (Board of Governors), and grants to
each board general supervision of its institution.

• Article VIII, Section 6 of the Constitution specifies that other institutions of
higher education established by law having authority to grant baccalaureate
degrees are to be governed by a board of control with general supervision of
the institution. The Governor appoints board members.

• Article VIII, Section 7 of the Constitution provides for the establishment and
financial support of public community and junior colleges that are supervised
and controlled by locally-elected boards.

* MSU appears to follow state law in regards to non-residents of the campus:
Michigan State University
18.00 FIREARMS OR WEAPONS
18.01 Possession prohibited; exceptions
18.02 Use of chemicals prohibited
18.03 Use prohibited; exceptions
18.04 Not applicable to police officers
18.05 Relationship to University policy
01 Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon anywhere upon property governed by the Board. Persons residing on property governed by the Board shall store any and all firearms and weapons with the Department of Police and Public Safety.
02 No person shall possess any chemical, biological, radioactive, or other dangerous substance or compound, with the intent of using the same to injure, molest, or coerce another, anywhere upon property governed by the Board.
03 The use of any firearm or weapon is prohibited upon property governed by the Board except those areas specifically set aside and supervised at range facilities, or as part of the regular education process, or as outlined in Ordinance 37.02 and its subsections.
.04 This ordinance shall not apply to Police Officers and other legally established law enforcement officers.
05 This ordinance does not alter the terms of any University policies that regulate the use or possession of firearms.
Enacted: September 15, 1964 Amended: December 11, 1987 Amended: December 10, 1994 Amended:
April 14, 1995 Amended: April 12, 2002 Amended: June 19, 2009